cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

No Headphone sound with AMD Radeon 5 340 X with Adrenalin 2020 Driver

Hi - Had to install a graphics card on my old Dell Optiplex in order for the latest version of Photoshop to run.  Installed the above card. Had to install the driver above. Headphoedne socket work fine for a few weeks. Suddenly stopped working.  Re-downloaded and installed the driver- not fixed. Can only get sound through my USB Headphones.  Any suggestions  please. 

0 Likes
2 Solutions

First can you please post your PC information including the Make & Model of the Headphones and speakers you want to use for Audio including GPU, Motherboard, & CPU Make & Models.

In Windows Sound Panel what Audio device is showing as "Default"?

What does Windows Sound Panel show when you plug in your "external speaker, connected to the headphone" ? Is is showing as "Default"? if it isn't it is disabled. So you need to right click on your Headphone speakers or headphones and set it as 'Default". See now if it works.

By the way, If you connect your USB Headphones and the audio works correctly that shows that AMD doesn't have a lock on your PC audio, otherwise your USB headphone audio wouldn't work either.

Part of the AMD Driver includes the AMD HD Audio driver.

You can only have sound from one Audio device at a time.

Speaker/Headphone Realtek Audio seems to indicate that that port is using your Motherboard's Realtek HD Audio driver and not AMD HD Audio driver.

In Sound panel under Audio Devices the ones that shows Realtek HD Audio is using your motherboard's Realtek HD Audio driver.

The Audio Devices that shows AMD HD Audio driver are speakers or audio devices directly connected to your GPU card.

From your description of your GPU card it has a HDMI Port and the small holes might be Mini-DP ports. Anything that has Audio (Speakers) connected to your GPU card will use the AMD HD Audio driver.

You can disable AMD HD Audio driver in Device Manager if you want to temporarily troubleshoot.

I have an Nvidia GPU card that uses Nvidia HD Audio driver, same as AMD HD Audio driver, and here is my Device Manager showing how you can disable the HD Audio Driver:

Screenshot 2024-01-18 130527.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Hi – thanks again.

I went through collecting the information you have requested and explored various Dell Audio configuration panels and run various Windows diagnostics.  It then said you have to restart, which I did.  Lo and behold, it is working perfectly, whether through my Bose Headphones or my Beecaro speaker (highly recommended as a low cost device), through either  the  front panel or rear panel Headphones socket.

This proves that there is nothing actually wrong with what I am trying to do with the AMD card and driver.   

Only trouble is I do not actually know what we did to fix it, but I have printed out all of your Responses above so if it goes again I should have a good chance to recover.

Thank you VERY much, whoever you are and wherever you are !

Richard 😊

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Go to Windows Sound Panel and see if your headphones are showing up when you plug it in.

Also make sure that the Headphones is your "Default" audio device in Sound panel.

Is the Headphones connected to the Motherboard or to your AMD GPU card?

If it is connected to the Motherboard Headphone Port, you are using the Motherboard's HD Audio driver and not AMD HD Audio driver which is used when you connect an audio device to your GPU card.

In that case the issue is with the Motherboard and not AMD driver. 

If you plug in the Headphones and it isn't set as "Default" you won't hear any sound since it will be disabled by Windows. The only Audio device that will have sound will be the Audio Device set as "Default".

Here is my Sound Panel with my BT Headphones connected via Bluetooth:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 142137.pngScreenshot 2024-01-17 142332.png

If I were to set my TV as the "Default" Audio Device my BT Headphones will be disabled. The TV is connected to my GPU Card via HDMI cable thus I am using Nvidia HD Audio driver.

My Motherboard HD Audio driver is the Realtek HD Audio driver.

0 Likes

RichardNoSound_0-1705595835741.png

MVP

Thank you for your prompt response,    I followed your advise as best I could but now luck so far.  

The Graph card is a Low Profile type with no audio socket – only the HDMA and also a sockets with lots of small holes in 2 groups which I can use as an alternative to the HDMI to connect to my Dell monitor.   My monitor does not have speakers.

The built in sound device is recognised as “ Speaker/Headphone Realtek Audio”.   The diagnostics say it is working correctly.  My Window 10 is fully up to date.  My i7 32 GB PC with 500 GB SSD is not compatible with Windows 11  !  

I have my conventional headphones and an external Beecaro brand speaker, which I have tried plugging in to both the read and the front panel 3.5 mm headphone sockets.

I cannot get any sound through either headphone outlet socket.

If I plug my USB Headphone /mike in that is recognised and works perfectly when I select it.  Trouble is I really want to use  the external speaker, connected to the headphone outlet.  I do not think the poor quality internal motherboard speaker works either.   The AMD card seems to have taken over all sound output.   Could I in some way disable the Radeon as a sound device and just use if for the graphics acceleration ?

What I do not understand  is why installing a Graphics card should be seen by Windows a SOUND device and why it should have impacted use of the headphone socket via Realtek.   Once I downloaded the AMD driver is immediately worked, but stopped working last week for no obvious reason. Wondering if I should try removing the graphics card and not using latest version of Photoshop ?

What about if I Uninstall and then reinstall the Speakers/Headphones Realek Audio ?  

Suspect it is something simple that has gone wrong.

Thanks

Richard

0 Likes

First can you please post your PC information including the Make & Model of the Headphones and speakers you want to use for Audio including GPU, Motherboard, & CPU Make & Models.

In Windows Sound Panel what Audio device is showing as "Default"?

What does Windows Sound Panel show when you plug in your "external speaker, connected to the headphone" ? Is is showing as "Default"? if it isn't it is disabled. So you need to right click on your Headphone speakers or headphones and set it as 'Default". See now if it works.

By the way, If you connect your USB Headphones and the audio works correctly that shows that AMD doesn't have a lock on your PC audio, otherwise your USB headphone audio wouldn't work either.

Part of the AMD Driver includes the AMD HD Audio driver.

You can only have sound from one Audio device at a time.

Speaker/Headphone Realtek Audio seems to indicate that that port is using your Motherboard's Realtek HD Audio driver and not AMD HD Audio driver.

In Sound panel under Audio Devices the ones that shows Realtek HD Audio is using your motherboard's Realtek HD Audio driver.

The Audio Devices that shows AMD HD Audio driver are speakers or audio devices directly connected to your GPU card.

From your description of your GPU card it has a HDMI Port and the small holes might be Mini-DP ports. Anything that has Audio (Speakers) connected to your GPU card will use the AMD HD Audio driver.

You can disable AMD HD Audio driver in Device Manager if you want to temporarily troubleshoot.

I have an Nvidia GPU card that uses Nvidia HD Audio driver, same as AMD HD Audio driver, and here is my Device Manager showing how you can disable the HD Audio Driver:

Screenshot 2024-01-18 130527.png

0 Likes

Hi – thanks again.

I went through collecting the information you have requested and explored various Dell Audio configuration panels and run various Windows diagnostics.  It then said you have to restart, which I did.  Lo and behold, it is working perfectly, whether through my Bose Headphones or my Beecaro speaker (highly recommended as a low cost device), through either  the  front panel or rear panel Headphones socket.

This proves that there is nothing actually wrong with what I am trying to do with the AMD card and driver.   

Only trouble is I do not actually know what we did to fix it, but I have printed out all of your Responses above so if it goes again I should have a good chance to recover.

Thank you VERY much, whoever you are and wherever you are !

Richard 😊