cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

David1980
Adept I

new to AMD! Whats steps are needed ?

Hi everyone !  Im switching over to team AMD ! And i have 0 knowledge about Ryzen / AMD software etc. And im here to ask advice and help 

So im planning to build soon a new AMD gaming PC.

So what are the steps i need to take after i installed the components, Windows 11 and all the needed drivers from the vendors ?

Im planning to get the R7 7800X3D CPU what software is needed from AMD ? Also the GPU im using is now a RTX 4080 ( sorry AMD! )

The motherboard is from NXZT a B650e and i can see they have a lot drivers for it. 

But what is the most important software i need to download for the Ryzen or AMD in general ? 

IS it true that boot times are longer than with Intel ? Should i be worried and stick with Intel ?

What software is needed to get the best performance ?  

Maybe you guys can send me a link with what to do after i build the PC 

thanks in advance! 

1 Solution
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Now, onto your questions...

Q1 - I'm planning to get the R7 7800X3D CPU what software is needed from AMD?

A - You're getting one of the best gaming CPUs AMD has developed. the 3D memory dramatically improves gaming since it features 96MB of L3 cache, practically removing latency. Check out this video to learn more:

You won't need any specific software, but there are a few that are meant to improve/customize it:

1 - AMD Ryzen Master Utility (for Overclocking): https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

2 - StoreMI (it was released for the AM4 platform, it's not a must, but it could come in handy)

Q2 - The motherboard is from NXZT a B650e and i can see they have a lot drivers for it. 

Be sure to check your motherboard's manufacturer support page, as you may have to update the BIOS. That said, AMD has a driver for the B650E chipset. You can grab it from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/b650e

Q3 - But what is the most important software I need to download for the Ryzen or AMD in general? 

A - The chipset driver for your motherboard.

Here is a list of tips that could helpful to you:

a. Ensure your CPU has adequate thermal paste.

b. Configure your CPU with a capable cooler solution (i.e. an AIO)

c. Ensure your PC has good airflow from the outside. And be sure the cooler solution "fits" (that does not touch other components in your rig).

d. And as mentioned, update your motherboard's chipset driver (if needed).

By the way, if you are interested in learning about all specs of the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, check out the official page(Launch date: 4/6/2023)

Q4 - IS it true that boot times are longer than with Intel ? Should i be worried and stick with Intel ?

A - Not true.

Q5 - What software is needed to get the best performance?  

A - [Optional] AMD Ryzen Master Utility (for Overclocking): https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master.

But note, your CPU will support the following technologies: 

a. AMD EXPO (for overclocking your memory kit)

b. Precision Boost Overdrive (It will automatically raise your processor's clock speed. No actual download is required - it's automatic. )

Be sure to check out the AMD Technologies for Processors too. Lots of info there!

In the end, the most important "thing" you can do is download and install the correct driver for your motherboard's chipset. 

Have fun building and feel free to come back here if you have any other questions, we're here to help! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

16 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I am not yet on the AM5 platform but here is an article from tomshardware that outlines some things people need to do to prepare for 7000X3D https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7000x3d-install-guide

@Sam_AMD are you able to help this person. I'm not on the AM5 platform yet and am unsure if special care needs to be taken with the configuration. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
ThreeDee
Paragon

Update BIOS to latest

Install latest AM5 chipset drivers from AMD.com

Make sure your Windows install is up to date

Run separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

IF you are running Samsung M.2 drives (980,990 especially) check for updated firmware for your drives (check with any company you run with really, but especially Samsungs newer/latest M.2 NVMe's)

Make sure you have good airflow thru your case, you need to keep your motherboard's VRM's and your system RAM cool too

Initial memory training CAN cause some really lengthy boot times where it CAN reboot several times during the process when you enable EXPO in the BIOS

Make sure you get a quality power supply with more than enough power to handle your setup when under 100% load and any transient power spikes your system will demand from it .. check hardware review sites before purchasing anything

ThreeDee PC specs
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

No need to be afraid, its a CPU, just like any other.

Each platform has its ups and downs, I like the AM5 because I could maintain my AM4 watercooler, money saved!
And its a pretty good one. RoG RYUJIN.

Intel normally has much more compatibility with RAM and AMD normally has better timings with EXPO, leading to  good performance bumps on games. Make sure you follow QVL for the board.

Boot times depends on many factors.
With a RoG STRIX X670E A Gaming, I have the infamous "memory context restore" set to disabled, so it trains the memory every time I start the PC. Even then.. 20secs to get post, 30 to start booting and total of 40 secs to a fully loaded Windows. I'm Super fine with it.

If I enable memory context restore Its maybe 25 to a fully loaded windows.
If you don't use EXPO, its pretty much instant but then you leave some FPS in the table on some games.

The first boot of ALL took me 4min of it turning itself on and off. Now, even after I cut the power to do power cycles, it never did that time again.

If you are going the B650E route, pick a good and solid board, check all the features, VRM design, NVME capabilities and try to get one with a 7segment display, good for code troubleshooting.

You don't need any special software, other than up to date drivers (specially chipset), the rest is pretty much optional.

I would first get it to work without a BIOS update, only after, specially if you run into unstable memory, a BIOS update may be in order. I'm still on original BIOS, no updates.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Don't believe in those "AMD is always unstable" sayings.

I had/have Intel, AMD and Cyrix (for those who remember lol) systems but my main everyday computer, since the AthlonXP never changed back to Intel.

I still run a copy of Windows7 upgraded to Windows10 and changed board for the third time, no formats, no reinstall just the same windows for more than a decade.

If you wanna know more, check my post for my AM5 build, Ill put there lots of information about my experience with 7000 Ryzen CPU's

https://community.amd.com/t5/pc-building/quot-raphael-quot/m-p/578279#M1032 

The Englishman
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @David1980 welcome to Red Team! 

In addition to replies/comments by our friends here, be sure to check out our new "How-to" articles, I'm pretty sure you'll find them helpful. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Hi @David1980 ,

Some friends from our AMD Red Team and Sam have pointed you in some really great starting directions. 

I'm just here to say welcome and we're super happy to have you! Congrats on the new build you're working on. I can't wait to see it! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Now, onto your questions...

Q1 - I'm planning to get the R7 7800X3D CPU what software is needed from AMD?

A - You're getting one of the best gaming CPUs AMD has developed. the 3D memory dramatically improves gaming since it features 96MB of L3 cache, practically removing latency. Check out this video to learn more:

You won't need any specific software, but there are a few that are meant to improve/customize it:

1 - AMD Ryzen Master Utility (for Overclocking): https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

2 - StoreMI (it was released for the AM4 platform, it's not a must, but it could come in handy)

Q2 - The motherboard is from NXZT a B650e and i can see they have a lot drivers for it. 

Be sure to check your motherboard's manufacturer support page, as you may have to update the BIOS. That said, AMD has a driver for the B650E chipset. You can grab it from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am5/b650e

Q3 - But what is the most important software I need to download for the Ryzen or AMD in general? 

A - The chipset driver for your motherboard.

Here is a list of tips that could helpful to you:

a. Ensure your CPU has adequate thermal paste.

b. Configure your CPU with a capable cooler solution (i.e. an AIO)

c. Ensure your PC has good airflow from the outside. And be sure the cooler solution "fits" (that does not touch other components in your rig).

d. And as mentioned, update your motherboard's chipset driver (if needed).

By the way, if you are interested in learning about all specs of the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, check out the official page(Launch date: 4/6/2023)

Q4 - IS it true that boot times are longer than with Intel ? Should i be worried and stick with Intel ?

A - Not true.

Q5 - What software is needed to get the best performance?  

A - [Optional] AMD Ryzen Master Utility (for Overclocking): https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master.

But note, your CPU will support the following technologies: 

a. AMD EXPO (for overclocking your memory kit)

b. Precision Boost Overdrive (It will automatically raise your processor's clock speed. No actual download is required - it's automatic. )

Be sure to check out the AMD Technologies for Processors too. Lots of info there!

In the end, the most important "thing" you can do is download and install the correct driver for your motherboard's chipset. 

Have fun building and feel free to come back here if you have any other questions, we're here to help! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I recently made a similar change.  I upgraded to AM5 and a 7950X3D.  I would say the biggest quality of life improvement is to pick a motherboard with a UEFI quick flash button.  That way, you can update without needing a compatible CPU. 

As indicated, I updated my UEFI, and then set my RAM EXPO profile.  Once in Windows, I installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD for my board.  I also had to make sure to activate Xbox game mode, but that should be an issue with the 7800X3D as there is a single chiplet.

Vynski
Exemplar

All of the above are essentials.

However the most important one is to 

1. Hold your breath
  2. raise your hand
  3. Bow your head
  4. Say a prayer

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
David1980
Adept I

Comming back here to say THANK you ALL !!

My system is stable and it was much easier than i thought. The performance of the R7 7800X3D is smooth as butter  ( especially in Ryzen optimized games like AC Valhalla and Far Cry 6 ). 

Im so glad i joined AMD ! 

here are some screenshots ! 

IMG_20230701_161032080.jpg

IMG_20230702_081920040.jpg

Amazing indeed! 

Where did you get the case? I like it! Can you share the link to the company's site?

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Thank you! and here it is ! : 

North — Fractal Design (fractal-design.com)

Wow! I always liked Fractal Design's cases. These are beautiful...and elegant. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Amazing!! Very Glad We could help! 👍

The only thing left to do is... a new topic a lots and lots of pictures 😁

The Englishman
HoustonSouza
Adept I

Wow, very important tips. Thank you very much. I currently have an AMD RX 2700x CPU and an RX 550 GPU. I use it daily!!!

nec_v20
Challenger

I see that you have a 7800X3D, I have written a guide on how to easily configure it to get the most out of the CPU:
https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/how-to-optimally-configure-the-ryzen-7800x3d/m-p/617371#M549...

Have fun and happy gaming 😀

If you're new to AMD, here are some steps you can take to get started:

1. Familiarize yourself with AMD's products: AMD offers a wide range of processors, graphics cards, and other components. Take some time to explore their product lineup, understand the different series and models, and compare their features and specifications.

2. Determine your requirements: Consider your specific needs and use cases. Are you building a gaming PC, a workstation for content creation, or a general-purpose system? Understanding your requirements will help you choose the right AMD components that align with your needs and budget.

3. Research and compare: Once you have an idea of your requirements, research different AMD processors and graphics cards that suit your needs. Read reviews, benchmarks, and user experiences to gain insights into their performance, compatibility, and reliability.

4. Choose a motherboard: If you're building a PC, you'll need to select a compatible motherboard that supports AMD processors. Ensure that the motherboard socket matches the processor you've chosen. Consider factors like expansion slots, RAM compatibility, and connectivity options when selecting a motherboard.