cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

PB28
Adept I

MSI A520M-A PRO does not recognize Ryzen 5 5500

I would like to build a custom PC. My newly purchased motherboard does not recognize the newly purchased Ryzen 5 5500 processor, the CPU debug LED lights up white permanently after switching on and the start is interrupted.
The configuration is:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
Motherboard: MSI A520M-A PRO
RAM: 2x 32GB DDR4-2400 / PC4-19200 DDR4 SDRAM RDIMM
Fan: Arctic Freezer 7x
Graphic: NVIDIA M4000Quadro
I have removed and reinstalled the processor, checked the pins, and checked all the points I found in the forums for similar errors, with no result.
Thank you very much for any help
Knut Sander

2 Solutions
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

There is an October 12th 2023 BIOS update that I would download and put on a USB stick so you can flash the BIOS to the latest version.  That might help the motherboard to recognize your Ryzen 5 5500 CPU.  This is an older AM4 motherboard that might have an early BIOS installed.  

If you cannot get the BIOS to update because the motherboard doesn't recognize the CPU, you may have to install a 3000 or 1000 series Ryzen CPU to get to the point where you can flash the BIOS.  I had that problem on a Gigabyte motherboard and I used a spare Ryzen 1800X CPU to boot into the BIOS so I could flash it to the latest version, then I was able to install a later Ryzen CPU into the AM4 socket.  It's a pain to be sure.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

Your Motherboard doesn't support BIOS FLASH Back feature where you can install a USB Flash drive with a new BIOS version and then press a button in the rear of your Motherboard to flash the BIOS without having to install a CPU.

According to MSI Support this is the BIOS Version or newer you will need to support your new Ryzen 5 5500:

Ryzen 5 Cezanne 5500 100 3.6GHz 3MB 16MB A0 65 N/A 7C96v19.zip

So you either need to get a supported CPU to flash the BIOS to the correct version or see if AMD will send you a Boot kit where they supply you with an older CPU so that you can update your BIOS.

Here is the link to order a free AMD BOOT KIT for your motherboard: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Screenshot 2023-12-19 102502.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

There is an October 12th 2023 BIOS update that I would download and put on a USB stick so you can flash the BIOS to the latest version.  That might help the motherboard to recognize your Ryzen 5 5500 CPU.  This is an older AM4 motherboard that might have an early BIOS installed.  

If you cannot get the BIOS to update because the motherboard doesn't recognize the CPU, you may have to install a 3000 or 1000 series Ryzen CPU to get to the point where you can flash the BIOS.  I had that problem on a Gigabyte motherboard and I used a spare Ryzen 1800X CPU to boot into the BIOS so I could flash it to the latest version, then I was able to install a later Ryzen CPU into the AM4 socket.  It's a pain to be sure.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Hi BigAl01

Thank you for your answer. I also feared that this was the only option. Do you have any tips on where I can get a Ryzen 1000 or 3000 for very little money?
In any case, thanks again for your support.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Try the BIOS flash before you go out and get the older CPU.  Check the motherboard manual to see if it is possible to flash the BIOS without the CPU being functional (or even installed).  Otherwise, if you need to get the older CPU, I would try Ebay or ask friends that live in your area if you could perhaps borrow one from an older computer.

Thank you, BigAl0. Meanwhile I checked the manual but did not founmd any information on flashing without CPU. And to be honest, I thought that wasn't even possible. But found some information elsewhere. I will check it when the motherboard is back (it is now at the retailer because of a defect).

0 Likes

HI BIGAI01 I'm Jameel Perkins asking can I use an USE Elgato capture card on AMD FSR 3.0 to play Retro Games like Poly mega EM03 please answer ?

I would open a ticket with ElGato Support and ask them that question if the Elgato Capture Card works with AMD FSR 3.0

I would have no idea.  This isn't relevant to this topic either I might add.

0 Likes

Your Motherboard doesn't support BIOS FLASH Back feature where you can install a USB Flash drive with a new BIOS version and then press a button in the rear of your Motherboard to flash the BIOS without having to install a CPU.

According to MSI Support this is the BIOS Version or newer you will need to support your new Ryzen 5 5500:

Ryzen 5 Cezanne 5500 100 3.6GHz 3MB 16MB A0 65 N/A 7C96v19.zip

So you either need to get a supported CPU to flash the BIOS to the correct version or see if AMD will send you a Boot kit where they supply you with an older CPU so that you can update your BIOS.

Here is the link to order a free AMD BOOT KIT for your motherboard: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Screenshot 2023-12-19 102502.png

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've never heard of that boot kit.  That's a great idea from AMD.  

When the AM4 Motherboards, namely the 400 and 500 series Motherboards,  first came out, many Users found out that the Motherboard didn't have the correct BIOS version out of the box so they couldn't update their BIOS unless they had a supported CPU to install. This is before the BIOS FLASHBACK feature came out.

So AMD would send the User a Boot kit, a 1000 or 2000 series CPU with a CPU Cooler to temporarily install so the User will be able to update the Motherboard's BIOS. Afterwards, The User needed to return the CPU back to AMD or be charged for the CPU if it wasn't returned.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's a good policy.  I ended up with an Ryzen 1800X CPU as a spare and that's the one I used to get one of my motherboards operational with the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs.  I had to go through two BIOS updates - not just a single jump.  That was kind of weird in itself.  The 2nd level BIOS needed to be installed before I could flash to the final one.