cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Axxemann
Forerunner

I actually felt kind of dirty for doing this build, but it made someone's Xmas!

So when I did my 5800X3D upgrade, I had a few spare parts to add to the shelf. 

My nephew mentions he's saving up for a console on his birthday back in October. 

Little did he know, I had this plan in the works from the start.

Hitting a few sales here and there I was able to put together a pretty slick AM4-based 1080p gaming powerhouse for him.

But... I felt really, REALLY dirty for doing it... for more than one reason. I'll explain later.

The specs:

R5 5600

G-Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR4-3200 CL16

MSI Mech V1 RX6750XT

MSI B550M Pro-VDH Wifi

Thermaltake SmartRGB 750W PSU

Stuffed into a Cooler Master MB311L ARGB, with some extra Cooler Master fans. Their Sickle Flows are good fans, even if I'm partial towards Arctic Cooling.

I even added in a BenQ Mobiuz EX240 monitor, and of course the mouse & keyboard.

Now, reason #1 why I feel dirty: RGB. I absolutely HATE the stuff. But my nephew? Loves the stuff. 

Reason #2 I feel dirty: just wait...

So two mistakes I made: doing the build in a mATX MINI tower, and using the MB311L. Not slagging on Cooler Master... but this case is not AIO friendly. It's a bit narrow for standard height RAM kits (like the G-Skill Ripjaws I was using) and long. So top mounting I hit RAM clearance issues, and front mounting proved to be about an inch and change too short for the hoses to properly orient. I prefer a hoses down, so that the air bubble stays in the crossover tank. Thankfully, I snapped up a Hyper 212 air cooler for cheap. One more drawback of it being narrow: Cable management is TIGHT.

Apart from the snag with the AIO, the build was pretty straightforward. Added some extra fans, some cable extensions since the PSU I was using had these really ugly cables (bright red plugs for the PCI-E, and yellow for the CPU power) and run the fans through the controller that came with the case. It took care of the ARGB and PWM fans with ease. I just needed to dip into my splitters and extensions to get enough reach for a couple of them.

The finished product:

Side view, panel off while I get everything set up in BIOS and prep for the Win10 install.Side view, panel off while I get everything set up in BIOS and prep for the Win10 install.Front view.Front view.

Now, I know that this won't be my last RGB build. Not as long as my nephew is into it, or I get commissioned to do builds for people. But after a few years off of doing builds for other people, I'm getting the itch to hang my shingle out again. I'll probably sit tight on that until I get good at bending hard tubes.

But Axxe, you said there was another reason why you felt dirty on this build!!!! Sit tight, kids. I'm getting to it.

I had most of these parts sitting on the shelf in my apartment for a couple of months. My sister and nephew had come over a few times to help me out getting some things rearranged so that I can buy some new furniture. Something I haven't had ever. My nephew moved everything around probably 5 or 6 times during that process. Why him? Simple: I'm a cripple. I need crutches to get around and can't lift and carry things very easily. He had asked about the parts, and I told him it was for a client build. I slipped up in casual conversation a couple of times with my sister and mom, and of course, teenagers have very keen selective hearing. Lucky for me, I have a co-worker with the same first name as my nephew. So every time I oopsed and mentioned it as HIS build, I'd have to make reference to my co-worker to cover my arse.

Now, sit back, and watch my nephew's reaction to getting a gaming PC for Xmas. Be forewarned, the language is PG-13. The whole family spent the bulk of their adult lives working in the oil patch. Dirty words are commonplace and a form of punctuation. My dad is a machinist. I'm an oilfield truck driver turned dispatcher. My sister (easily the worst of the bunch) works in oilfield supply and deals with rig-pigs on an hourly basis. Nothing really bad, just a couple of 💩 here and there.

And of course, I had to head over today and help the kid set up in his tempoary gaming lair! He needs a proper desk, and maybe a better chair, but he'll make it work for now.

Here's the end result:

I had a riot building this rig, even if it has a lot of the components that I HATE: SFF, Air Cooling, RGB... I would have certainly said NFW had it been an Intel/Nvidia build. Now I just have to convince my nephew's friend Raynan that AMD>Intel/Nvidia when it comes to price:performance ratios. He's got a gamer uncle too, and that guy and I would probably resort to brawling over brand loyalty. 😄

Performance over Pretty.
5 Replies
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

That's really awesome man! Looks like it totally made his xmas! Too bad you couldn't do AIO, but the hyper 212 has been a solid choice for years. Looks great and should play just about anything you throw at it. 

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Yeah, I really want to put the Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 in there, but after the headaches the 212 was good to go. This one is the Spectrum V3. Was cheap cheap, and can still pull 200 watts of cooling though I reckon the fans would be at their limits. TBH, it actually suits the build really well.

Performance over Pretty.
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

With a few zip ties you might have been able to fit it. I manged to cram that Liquid freezer 240 and a 4090 FE into an NR200P. Zip ties for the win! 

20230707_155437.jpg

20230707_155655.jpg

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think he likes it quite a bit!  Good job.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Oh, he do. He certainly do.

Performance over Pretty.