cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Oorado
Adept I

First-time builder

Not had a PC for >12 years, been stuck with an Xbox One ever since, and therefore restricted in what games I can play.

Currently sat at home waiting for delivery of:

ASUS TUF Gaming B650

Ryzen 9 7900x

Radeon 7900xtx

Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16GB

Crucial P5 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Seen a couple of posts now on instability on the 7900XTX, can anyone see any compatibility issues with my rig?

Spent my weekend watching videos on how to build PCs, going through lists of game releases from the past 5 years to make sure I'm not missing any old favourites I wanted to play.

1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It's important you choose a good PSU.  I recommend getting one of at least 1K watts and a name brand one, not a manufacturer you've never heard of before.  

I strongly suggest you read through the Knowledge Base Articles the Red Team has put together this year.  Lots of suggestions to help people make the right decisions / selections when building a PC.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Dimitron
Adept I

I'd probably swap the Ryzen 9 7900X for a Ryzen 7 7800X3D if it's just for games.

But if you are planning on video editing, or doing anything CPU intensive, then you can even go for the non-X version, as you can overclock it to the desired TDP.

Radeon 7900 XTX should be fine after the last few drivers that addressed the high power draw in idle.
I presume you've got a non-AMD reference design one (e.g. ASUS TUF, Sapphire Pulse one)?

And the RAM, is it 6000MHz CL 30-36 EXPO compatible?

What Power Supply, Case, and CPU Cooler are you going to use?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 // ASUS TUF X570-PLUS // 16GB 3200MHz CL16 // EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Thanks for the reply.

Already got it all in the post (hopefully - was expecting delivery today, but nothing yet at 1500), so probably won't change the CPU. Cooling it with a dual-fan, Noctua NH-D15.

Yeah, the GPU is from Asrock - tbh not sure on the difference between the various distributors.

RAM is 6000MHz CL36 and the PSU is Corsair RM1000x in a Fractal Design mid-tower frame with 2 fans.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It's important you choose a good PSU.  I recommend getting one of at least 1K watts and a name brand one, not a manufacturer you've never heard of before.  

I strongly suggest you read through the Knowledge Base Articles the Red Team has put together this year.  Lots of suggestions to help people make the right decisions / selections when building a PC.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Thanks! I've read through a tonne of them as well.

PSU should be fine, 1000 Watts from Corsair.

TR2
Adept III

Well most of the parts are pretty good. How about cooling. 2 fans- these days of quieter fans may have you wanting a few more to be added. Air cooling or liquid (AIO) both have their benefits. AIOs have gotten quite good and of course there is the Noctura beast aircooler. A 170watt CPU can get toasty as well as adding a big GPU.

That is something I'm contemplating. I'll see how we go with the included case fans. If I find it getting to hot with the power demand then I'll look at AIOs. Always liked the idea of liquid cooled PCs.

Subsilent00
Adept III

Thanks for your post here and on mine as well! We can learn from each other as well as others!