cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Onelake
Adept I

changing motherboard

I'm upgrading my cpu and I'm also upgrading my motherboard and I want to know if there are any things to be cautious about or tips on dong that. Thanks

1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would re-install Windows so you don't have any conflicting drivers from the old motherboard.  For an AMD CPU, I would go to the AMD driver support page and install the 'Windows 10/11 Drivers' autodetect tool that will find the chipset and graphics drivers for your new combination.  Are you using a Radeon GPU?  It will install the latest version of the Adrenalin drivers, currently 24.5.1.  

Before you do anything though, backup your data from the current computer.  You don't want to lose precious pictures and such.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would re-install Windows so you don't have any conflicting drivers from the old motherboard.  For an AMD CPU, I would go to the AMD driver support page and install the 'Windows 10/11 Drivers' autodetect tool that will find the chipset and graphics drivers for your new combination.  Are you using a Radeon GPU?  It will install the latest version of the Adrenalin drivers, currently 24.5.1.  

Before you do anything though, backup your data from the current computer.  You don't want to lose precious pictures and such.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

i have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

FunkZ
Paragon

If you've never done it before you should definitely look for some video tutorials to watch. It is not brain surgery but it is possible to make mistakes that can damage hardware. Take your time and be meticulous in your build, you don't want something like an errant screw or a loose connector causing a short. Refer to the motherboard manual for step by step assembly.

If you're looking for more specific advice then it would help to provide more detail. Post all the components you have now and what you're replacing them with. If you're unsure about something post pictures.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
RoseCliver
Adept I

@Onelake wrote:

I'm upgrading my cpu and I'm also upgrading my motherboard and I want to know if there are any things to be cautious about or tips on dong that. Thanks

Ensure compatibility between the CPU and motherboard. Backup data, handle components carefully, and install drivers and BIOS updates for optimal performance. paybyplate