cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Axxemann
Forerunner

And so it begins...

Been a flurry of activity at Schloss Axxemann over the last couple of weeks. 

Why?

20231114_182938[1].jpg

That's why. A whole schwack of watercooling parts has been streaming in. I've got a couple of mods to make to some brackets once a buddy of mine with some decent metal cutting and machining skill gets back from seeing his Dad in Ontario. Then, I get to start building. I'm not going to promise anything good, but I'll try my best to either vlog it or document it the old fashioned way. Maybe it'll become a tech article... Or maybe I'll throw my hands up in frustration and say: "I AM NEVER DOING SOMETHING THIS CRAZY AGAIN!!!!"

And for those of you wondering what the white crusties are on my cat's water fountain: We have incredibly hard water here. That is 36 hours of hard water buildup from the last time it was scrubbed, descaled and sterilized. My filters are supposed to last 90 days. I replace them every 30, and that 30 day was on Sunday.

Performance over Pretty.
12 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I don't see a water fountain in that picture, but I'm glad you are taking care of cats.  Good luck with the build.  Take lots of pictures and show us as you go through the process.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

The fountain is the white container witht the blue lid. Inigo doesn't like a geyser, but he likes flowing water. It took a week of him recoiling from splashes to get it dialed in.

Performance over Pretty.
Axxemann
Forerunner

Well, my buddy is finally back from Ontario. This means my Unibracket can be modded to accept the base to my reservoir. In the mean time, I'm going to flush the rads out while I sleep.

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's loud?  I can barely hear it.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

It's loud. I'm sitting 10 feet from the pump and I hear it whirring. I think it's been drving my cat nuts, too.

Performance over Pretty.
Axxemann
Forerunner

Went over to my buddy Den's place after an eye appointment and after about 90 minutes worth measuring twice, drilling once, realizing that the bracket material was pretty flexy causing the bigger holes to be a bit off center and then wallowing them out to fit with a die grinder, I have my reservoir bracket done and good to go. 

Rads were pretty much clean before the flush from the factory, which made me smile. No scale or any other crud in the water, and the filter I had on the intake line was sparkling clean.

I've got some family stuff to tend to tomorrow evening, so the build should be happening next week.

Performance over Pretty.
Awol
Challenger

Is it an AM4 or AM5 build ? What components ?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm guessing AM5 this time.

0 Likes

Nope, this is watercooling for the 5800X3D/RX6800XT rig I'm on right now. Save for the GPU block and maybe using fresh tubing in case I do my runs different next time, the water cooling components will last as long as AMD keeps using the same bolt pattern for their coolers.

Performance over Pretty.
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

How's the cooling project coming along?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes

Just waiting on the parts to build a speed controller so I can slow down my pump. 50dB is a bit grating, even with the new ANR gaming headset. It's spinning at 6000rpm. Apart from that, she's up and running. I just have to figure out a good OC profile for the 6800XT. I lost some points on Time Spy on the GPU score alone. 

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

After messing with the speed controller for a while, and realizing just how much heat it kicks out, I opted to remove it and re-pin hte molex connector to 5V instead of 12V. Probably not the best solution, but it'll work for now. Pump RPM is down to about 3000 or so, and much less noisy. I'll probably send the controllers back to Amazon and get something a little better built, preferably with a heatsink, or at least a means of mounting it inside the case so I can get some airflow from the fans on it. And I'm gonna try to find one with an actual knob to turn instead of a little bitty grub screw.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes