cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

trsisko
Journeyman III

AM5 Socket Pins

I seem to have damagedCapture.PNG the pins on my AM5 Asus Gaming E-F Board. anyone know if this can be repaired or do i take this as a write off?

9 Replies

Have you spoken nicely to your supplier about them sending it off to get it fixed... Note I had the same issue with a Rampage 5 Edition 10 and while I was without the board for a while - they replaced it with a new one all I had to pay was shipping.

Looks like your Motherboard Socket got burnt or shorted out.

If it wasn't due to Customer Error or 3rd party Hardware error I would try to RMA the Motherboard and see if they will replace it or you might just have to cough up a new Motherboard if not under Warranty or the Warranty is voided.

NOTE: By 3rd party hardware error I meant if the PSU or CPU caused the Motherboard socket to short out and by Customer Error you tried to overclock the CPU or physically did some thing to the motherboard to cause it to short out or a foreign agent shorted out the socket like a bug or conductive Thermal paste as an example.

From what I can see it doesn't look burnt it just looks like bent socket pins which was what I was commenting with regards to above when I said "Have you spoken nicely to your supplier about them sending it off to get it fixed... Note I had the same issue with a Rampage 5 Edition 10 and while I was without the board for a while - they replaced it with a new one all I had to pay was shipping."

It's hard to tell if that's just lighting or burn marks.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Vynski
Exemplar

How did you damage it is the issue.  Follow advice of @elstaci .

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Calien
Journeyman III

I am wondering if this is not a manufacturing issue with the socket.  I recently bought a 7800x3d and a gigabyte b650 to have it never recognise 2 slots of ram.   PC store managed to spot 2 bent pins Close together but separated by a few pins.  I have been building PCs for over 30 years and never damaged a CPU pin.  Yet this was observed.  I installed CPU once and removed for RMA.  They are both memory channel B pins.  

Will see what Gigabyte says.  

Calien_0-1686105445173.png

That doesn't look two bad and could be something you could fix with a magnifying glass and a needle if you have a really steady hand..

Question : Not a NewEgg purchase per chance? as I read about something really shady that they did.

Customer returned board with bent pins - customers fault, NewEgg returned the board to Gigabyte, Gigabyte advised NewEgg of the repair cost, either the customer or NewEgg said to much to fix. Gigabyte returned board to NewEgg with a label on it to that effect, NewEgg put it back on the shelf either through error or what the hell some mug will by it and it was brought by a reviewer who ended up not needing it and never opened it - shipped it back to NewEgg who then opened it and went Nuh uh we aint taking this back as it has bent pins. It was all over the internet for a while.

That sounds like some stuff Frys electronics used to do. I always loved going there but you had to know you were taking a risk of buying something from them.

On the other hand for the post if you want to try and fix it get a dental tool as it gives you a good area to hold or grip it and a magnifying glass and bend them back up. Used to do this on the old chips when the pins would bend on them and it works as long as you are gentle on the movements.

I appreciate you bringing the exceptional website to my attention, and I am keen to explore the benefits it offers. Your suggestion is valuable to me, and I am grateful for your support. I am always eager to learn and grow, and I am confident that this website will provide me with new insights and opportunities. Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your discovery with me.

0 Likes