cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Adrenaline 24.8.1 has been released! Tell us how it works for you!

It was released on 29 August 2024.  Maybe this will address some issues a few folks have been having with prior updates.  My experience so far is that it blanks your screen for several seconds (20-30) during the install.  A bit unnerving I would say.

New driver update, just in time for my 01 September 2024 LAN party at Big Al Computers.New driver update, just in time for my 01 September 2024 LAN party at Big Al Computers.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
53 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

Just like 24.7.1 it took 2 reboots to clear this error.

System settings change.jpg

After the first reboot I also got the "not compatible" error.

Version not compatible.jpg

After the second reboot however both errors cleared, and my Zero RPM and Idle Board Power (which were both not working with 24.7.1) now appear to be working correctly.

So far, so good...

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think I saw that second warning during an Adrenalin install several versions ago, but as with your case, it went away after rebooting Windows.  Sounds like a good upgrade for you with a few things now working that didn't before.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Yes, ZeroRPM and Idle Board Power were broken for me in 24.7.1 and are now fixed in 24.8.1

Unfortunately, now myself and others have a new "problem". It's not a dealbreaker for me and just dealing with it for now.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/adrenalin-24-8-1-randomly-opens/m-p/706624 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That's interesting.  My computers don't go to sleep (I use a screensaver for up to 4 hours) so I don't see that happening.  At least it's only a minor issue, where you just need to close the Adrenalin window.

0 Likes
Jmazo87
Journeyman III

Updated to new drivers go to load COD and still freezes on loading screening.  Have uninstalled both AMD and call of duty and reinstalled and continue to have same issues.  BRNAD NEW COMPUTER LESS THEN 2 weeks out the box. Ryzen 7700 Radeon RX7900 GPE

I'm going to break this f***ing card, never again AMD!

unknown_2024.08.30-08.53.png

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Is it only this one game that is giving you problems?  If other games successfully launch and don't crash while playing, I would focus on the settings in this game if you can access them.  Check the following:

Do you have sufficient storage space for this game and updates it may try to load?

Have you installed the latest game patches?

Have you tried to set your game resolution a bit lower?

Can you change the server that is hosting the game?

I have no problems with my RX 7900 GRE video card, but I don't have this game to test it on.  I also recommend you search the Internet for other possible solutions.  

I can’t even get into a screen in the game to look at settings as it freezes on black screen.  Computer is 2 weeks old and COD is only game I play.  Plenty of storage on it and have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple time both AMD and Game

since 24.5.1 they don't have a correct driver program,put back 24.5.1 it works,and wake me up when there will be a usable driver.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would go back to your previous Adrenalin driver version (24.7.1).  

0 Likes

@BigAl01 I am not upset at anyone and you are right my knowledge is very little when it comes to this and that why I am posting on here trying to learn and get answers.  I appreciate the options you are providing and I will continue to try all options provided

Your brain power does not understand our problems, so why are you here?

0 Likes

BigAl is a volunteer and gives up his time for the good of the rest of us, have some respect for people on the forum, then again looking at your posts all you do is bitch and moan.  Why dont you do the rest of us a favour and get lost.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

@Awol Thank you for the kind comments.  I am a retired MSEE and since I retired at age 55 ten years ago, I have been doing nothing but volunteer work (mostly cat rescue).  Perhaps we can help @Jani38 and @Jmazo87 overcome their problems together.  If @Jmazo87  bought a pre-built computer, he may not understand how many settings can affect the user experience.  I think @Jani38 should stick with the 24.5.1 driver version for now until he can figure out why the game crashes in the new 24.8.1 version.

0 Likes

Very true. Would be good to know the full PC specs.

I am going to say I find this remark offensive towards a member of the community here who has assisted many many people who has never asked for anything in return.  

He has given me advice and I have learned a lot through his posts assisting others. 

AsRock x670E Taichi Carrara, 6 tb of WD850 Black, CORSAIR - DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB 32GB, 7800x3d, XFX - Mercury AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Magnetic Air

Unfortunately, the new ASRock Tweak version 2.0.65 crashes with the also new AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 24.8.1 update.
The biggest problem is that COD MW3 also crashes immediately after the start.

Ryzen 7 7800 X3D

ASRock RX 7900 XTX Taichi

ASRock X670E Taichi Carrera

Képernyőfelvétel (11).png

Solved with Revo Uninstaller!

Requires clean install!!

Did you uninstall the game or the driver with Revo? 

Yes, only the AMD Adrenalin software.

All games work perfectly and so does the ASRock Tweak app.

Dragokar
Miniboss

Works as it should, did not test Cossacks 3 though. Will do at the weekend.

Th3N1ghtH4wk
Adept I

The driver update seems to remove most of the CPU metrics under the performance tab? After installing it I was only left with Utilization. After reverting back to 24.7.1 the other metrics are back.

The install was also quite bad, caused my Windows to become unresponsive (No response on mouse and keyboard). First time that I recall having this issue.

Have you tried using DDU to clean up the install files before installing the new 24.8.1 Adrenalin version?

0 Likes
Awol
Challenger

So far no issues experienced. Idle GPU temp is as it should be not elevated as in 24.6.1 and 24.7.1. No driver timeouts experienced in any games so far.  BFV, HLL, COD4, Islands of Insight, Once Human, BF2042 and BodyCam are all working as they should and no coil whine.

X570 Aorus Elite / Ryzen 9 5900X / AMD RX7900 XTX / 64GB Quad Kit Kingston Fury Black 3600MHZ CL16 / RM1000 X PSU

HewinFM
Adept I

Coil whine introduced in 24.6.1 is still an issue in this release.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Try running your video card at less voltage or lower the frequency a bit.  I bet the coil whine has something to do with harmonics.

0 Likes

Doesn't fix it.

0 Likes
Jani38
Adept II

Could someone please delete my account. Thank you!

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

If you stick around, perhaps someone will find a solution to the COD crashing issue.  Your history shows many swear words though that were automatically pushed to the spam queue, so you need to use clean language like the rest of us.

0 Likes
Jani38
Adept II

Why did you delete my post,was there a reference to spam?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I did not delete any of your posts.  I can see that the automatic spam filter put many of your posts in the spam queue due to language abuse.  They do not tolerate fowl language in this forum.  

That being said, I can understand your frustration.  There could be a solution to the COD crashing problem that we just don't know about yet.  You can be part of the solution, rather than a victim of the anomaly. 

@BigAl01 wrote:

They do not tolerate fowl language in this forum.

FunkZ_0-1725157508251.jpeg

enginblacks
Adept I

My game stucks at 43 fps then 77 and if I switch screens (alt+tab) it becomes normal, **bleep** is that XD

~Cheers for the second time..

What game are you playing and have you updated the game with all it's patches?  What was your experience with the previous version of the Adrenalin drivers (24.7.1)?

Doesn't matter, I give up, f this, but thanks anyway.

~Cheers for the second time..
0 Likes
chasrick
Journeyman III

Horrible crashed warzone twice in one hour just like the last few updates!!!! Have to back up all the way to 24.4.1 just to play and it still does it randomly 

adriand0
Journeyman III

Hi BigAl01, thanks for the support you are willingly doing over this forum. I seeing your responses in this thread so I can only imagine the rest.

Haven't been lucky with this or the previous update, while playing games (list below) screen turns black and all fans activate to max. PC doesnt seems to shut down, as RAM and devices are still on and with their AURA RGB  synced (this AURA effects only applies if my user is logged in. While booting up, the AURA RGB is default)

Once boots up, OS seems to point out an issue with the display device and as with the same popups that FunkZ points AMD Adrenaline does not detect the card. For this I just follow this steps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techadvice/comments/v1updg/a_fix_for_legendary_pa300_the_version_of_amd/ 

To reproduce the issue it seems that I only need to put a load over the GPU (tried playing the game at min settings, FSR ultra performance, 720p)  and eventually the issue happens. No other special configuration that I can think of as am someone who prefers to play at default settings, I let the system choose.

The only clue that I had so far was a pop up saying "Driver time out" for 1 ocassions. For this ocassion, I let the PC in this black-screen-state and monitored the temperatures with IR guns.. when it suddeleny reinstated itself showing me picture in screen and a popup sayin that  the OS detected a driver timeout. The display device was not recgonized by the OS.

Btw IR guns did no show any critical temp, all disipators where at 45-48 C on decrease while time passed

Do you know of any diagnostic log tool to see what happens at the GPU/drivers/OS when this happens? any good query for windows Event viewer? Mine at the end

Specs

CPU Ryzen 7 5700x
GPU Radeon RX 6700
32GB RAM DDR4 RAM
Installed on NVMe SSD
Vainilla config, all AMD features turned off
Windows 10

Games (seems like all UE5?)
The First Descendant
Once Human
Contractors showdown (VR)
Hotel Paradise (VR)
The Forest (VR/PC)
It happend once while at Google Chrome (youtube video) and waiting for BitLocker to (would it be a CPU problem?)

Event viewer query
<QueryList>
<Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration">
<Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration">*[System/Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP'] and EventData/Data[@Name='DeviceInstanceID']='PCI\VEN_1002&amp;DEV_73DF&amp;SUBSYS_661A1EAE&amp;REV_DF\6&amp;30AA35A7&amp;0&amp;00000019']</Select>
<Select Path="System">*[System/Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp'] and UserData/*/DeviceInstanceID='PCI\VEN_1002&amp;DEV_73DF&amp;SUBSYS_661A1EAE&amp;REV_DF\6&amp;30AA35A7&amp;0&amp;00000019']</Select>
</Query>
</QueryList>

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

@chasrick I would go back and uninstall your Adrenalin driver using DDU, and then do another install of the Adrenalin 24.8.1 driver.  When using DDU, I believe you need to be in safe mode and perhaps some people don't do that and thus may not completely remove the files associated with the previous graphics driver installation.  After trying that, I would then disable the motherboard fan / RGB controls (AURA RGB) in the startup section of Task Manager.  If you don't want to do that, at least check for updates to that software.  

In the Windows 'Event Viewer', which I don't use too often, I think you would look under 'Windows Logs' for application events and system events.  I assume you have tried the Event Viewer query shown above, but I don't have experience in creating those queries to know if that should work.  If you can get the Adrenalin 'Performance Tab' open before you start gaming, you can start logging the performance of the GPU to see what's happening if it crashes while you game.  You need to check to see where it will save the file it creates.

If you have another PCIe slot, I would even try plugging your GPU into that slot to see if it makes any difference.  I recommend you also check to see if there is a recent BIOS update for your motherboard.  

I’ve only had this card in my computer. I don’t want to use the ddu tool going by the download site. It’s only used in full uninstalled or switching cards. I’ve done neither. I did use windows to uninstall completed driver. Then I reinstalled the newest driver 24.8.1. I’ll use the performance tab to find out what’s happening hopefully. 

Thanks for the quick response. 

Same issue after the DDU uninstall-reinstall in safe mode. AURA uninstalled and changed to more generic peripherals that I had laying around.

With the Adrenaline log  users need to manually click STOP to save the logs, making it useless as the whole system crash so users has the chance to click stop.. any other logging app that keps saving/overwrites the logs?

I dont have extra PCI slot, but you gave me the idea to downgrade the slot from GEN4 to GEN3/GEN2/GEN1 (RX 6700gpu is gen4 rigth?). So far the results are the same, the only difference being that the issue takes longer to appear.

The most stable one was configuring it as a GEN1, low settings and FSR in Ultra Performance, giving me up to 4hrs of gameplay. If I change the settings from low to med, even with Ultra Performance, the crash takes place as usual.

However there is a new symptpom, where after the crash, the display adapter appears disabled (not with an error, disabled).

Once I enable it, the adapters shows the usual error, but AMD initialzes asking to report the bug.

The bug has a *.dmp File that I open with WinDbg with the following stacktrace error:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e)

I'll still getting around how WinDbg works to provide more details on the .dmp file, but we all should check if we are getting the same error?