cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

rtbh99
Challenger

A friend asked me to build them a PC! I am taking lots of pictures :) (WARNING: nvidia gpu inside)

after building a pc for a friend a few months ago using old parts, i've still had the itch to build systems for people. however, my coworkers make the same amount of money as me(not enough for pc parts), so they are kind of out the window. luckily, ive been friends with a person in florida for.... geez at least 12 years, nearly as long as i've known my husband. so naturally, i hounded them for months. a few weeks ago though, we decided it was actually time to build the dang thing. they have a 4k tv, but arent planning on gaming on it, so we targeted high fps 1440p. unfortunately, and this is where i'm kicking myself right now, we ended up getting an rtx 4070, instead of a 6950/6900xt. i figured since its florida, he might want a card that runs a little more efficiently and cooler than a big boi 6950xt. i've been doubting myself recently though, after seeing low prices on 6900xt's and its relative superior performance to the 4070. lets hope dlss can make up for it lmao

i also had to insist i make custom cables for the rig, for just the cost of materials because i wanted to make something special. the choice of a 4070 ironically helps me here, because i seriously doubt a triple eight pin will fit through the cable cutout on the fractal design north case we ended up getting. also, only making one eight pin vs two or three makes things a lot quicker. and this model 4070 uses a normal eight pin connector! so convenient.

PC specs are: CPU 5800x3d, Mobo asus prime b550 plus, RAM corsair lpx 3600mhz cl14, CPU cooler thermalright peerless assassin, GPU msi ventus 3x rtx 4070, SSD msi m461 4tb gen 4 nvme, case fractal design north, PSU superflower leadex III 750watt gold rated, custom cables are handmade by me 🙂

onto the photos

asus mobo bought before the whole exploding x3d thing thats going on right now.asus mobo bought before the whole exploding x3d thing thats going on right now.LMFAO msi ventus 4070 forgot the thermal pads on the VRMs, almost made me return the card.LMFAO msi ventus 4070 forgot the thermal pads on the VRMs, almost made me return the card.despite being two slots, the 4070 was too long for my vertical gpu mountdespite being two slots, the 4070 was too long for my vertical gpu mountit did fit normally though. pci cables are a bit too short to reach, so i didnt power on the system.it did fit normally though. pci cables are a bit too short to reach, so i didnt power on the system.second time i've bought this cooler, the thermalright peerless assassinsecond time i've bought this cooler, the thermalright peerless assassinreally probably shouldve spent like ten dollars more on a better looking mobo...really probably shouldve spent like ten dollars more on a better looking mobo...i had to cut the sleeving off of the power supply cables to make pinout diagramsi had to cut the sleeving off of the power supply cables to make pinout diagramsthis is the color scheme we landed on, compliments the case accent colors.this is the color scheme we landed on, compliments the case accent colors.pci-e 8pin was the first one complete. note how small the cable cutout is for a pcie cable.pci-e 8pin was the first one complete. note how small the cable cutout is for a pcie cable.next completed was the EPS eight pin. pretty proud of this one.next completed was the EPS eight pin. pretty proud of this one.and then i hit a brick wall when i ran out of grey sleevingand then i hit a brick wall when i ran out of grey sleevingalso ran out of wire, but i was able to run a few wires through the combs to measure their exact lengths.also ran out of wire, but i was able to run a few wires through the combs to measure their exact lengths.this is part of my pinout diagram, made by tracing each wire individually on the original psu cables :)this is part of my pinout diagram, made by tracing each wire individually on the original psu cables 🙂seeing things like this though, they hurt meseeing things like this though, they hurt mei think perhaps if i had seen this graph before ordering the gpu, i wouldve gotten a 6900xti think perhaps if i had seen this graph before ordering the gpu, i wouldve gotten a 6900xt

and im not even finished yet! i was just excited to share my progress 🙂

---
lets talk about rtbh99
2 Solutions
Axxemann
Forerunner

You bought an Nvidia card???? HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME.

Performance over Pretty.

View solution in original post

rtbh99
Challenger

folks, we have a 6900xt, and it is good. i broke it in with a bunch of benchmarks and some light gaming. it has a little bit of coil whine, but not nearly as bad as that 4070 did. naturally i also had to see by how much the merc 319 didnt fit in my current case, but my case surprised me once again. now i have another reason to want that gpu...

first things first the pc its beautiful :)first things first the pc its beautiful 🙂

the 6900xt its beautiful toothe 6900xt its beautiful tooits a behemoth thoughits a behemoth thoughi was just eyeballing it herei was just eyeballing it hereturns out it fit just fine when i removed the hdd bracketturns out it fit just fine when i removed the hdd bracketjust one of the benchmarks i did, this one on ultra maxed out settings on a game that ran poorly on my old 6600k system.just one of the benchmarks i did, this one on ultra maxed out settings on a game that ran poorly on my old 6600k system.

---
lets talk about rtbh99

View solution in original post

21 Replies
tammlam
Adept I

The RTX 4070 is going to run out of VRAM sooner rather than later with some of the newer titles.

I like the power efficiency offered by the RTX 4070 non ti but the price is too high for the vram amount. Playing hogwarts legacy on high to ultra details at 1440p, on my pc, already gets very close to that vram limit. 

0 Likes

yeah that was a factor in returning the gpu this morning. along with the uncovered vrms on the ventus model, my wanting to make another cable to complete the look in the case, and my desire to hold a merc 319 6900xt in my hands all contributed.

---
lets talk about rtbh99
Axxemann
Forerunner

You bought an Nvidia card???? HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME.

Performance over Pretty.

Amen Axxeman. My first Nvidia was the GeForce256 DDR (early 2001-?). My first Radeon was the 9600 Pro (end of 2003-?). I tinkered with a couple of used Nvidia cards but forever had driver issues which is probably why they were given to me.

I had an old 3dfx Voodoo back around the turn of the millennium. I went ATI/AMD after that.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

dont worry, i actually returned it this morning so i can buy a 6900xt!

---
lets talk about rtbh99

Good. You've regained some of your honor 😉

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFAIK mathematically nvidia and intel are not computers at all. they pretend a regular computer is  super computer or something like that.

so you gotta remove the nvidia before you can say you have a computer.

rtbh99
Challenger

so an update on this, i am still waiting for amazon to refund me for the 4070 and motherboard so i can get a different mobo and a 6900xt

---
lets talk about rtbh99
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Late to the conversation here, but thank you for the trigger warning in the headline. 😆

Happy you're shifting to a 6900 XT!

rtbh99
Challenger

well now would would look at that 👀

rtbh99_1-1684557838651.png

---
lets talk about rtbh99
tammlam
Adept I

More VRAM keeps the high-texture lag away!

0 Likes

Yo folks.... It's his task to put it togheter. Don't burn him at stake for his friend's sake :D.

0 Likes
rtbh99
Challenger

i finished my cables off, had just enough wire to finish a second pcie cable for the 6900xt. i also added an exhaust fan, a thermalright b12. probably going to be shipping the pc on saturday. also heres a bunch more pictures 🙂

thermalright b12 exhaust fan, looks like a noctua a12x25 clone. also came with nuts and bolts as a mounting optionthermalright b12 exhaust fan, looks like a noctua a12x25 clone. also came with nuts and bolts as a mounting optionthis is the finished 24 pin, it goes crazy when wires have to jump around to make their connections.this is the finished 24 pin, it goes crazy when wires have to jump around to make their connections.all completed wires, along with most of the tools i usedall completed wires, along with most of the tools i used24pin looking like a snack24pin looking like a snackgot the dual 8 pins heregot the dual 8 pins here8 pin eps cable8 pin eps cablei plugged in my gpu to see where i wanted to put the pcie cables, and settled on thisi plugged in my gpu to see where i wanted to put the pcie cables, and settled on thisgonna be a bigger beefier card that comes in here toogonna be a bigger beefier card that comes in here tooi got a pack of 100 cable hooks on amazon for this next parti got a pack of 100 cable hooks on amazon for this next partso anyways i started cable managingso anyways i started cable managingfinished product :)finished product 🙂i used 54 hooks total to give the cables a kind of floating effect.i used 54 hooks total to give the cables a kind of floating effect.

---
lets talk about rtbh99
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Great cable management.  @Sam_AMD would be very happy to see that!

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I would love to learn how to make my own custom cables. I have a fully modular PSU that was short a SATA power cable and wouldn't mind converting the Molex plugs to SATA without a bunch of extra adapters. 

Performance over Pretty.
rtbh99
Challenger

folks, we have a 6900xt, and it is good. i broke it in with a bunch of benchmarks and some light gaming. it has a little bit of coil whine, but not nearly as bad as that 4070 did. naturally i also had to see by how much the merc 319 didnt fit in my current case, but my case surprised me once again. now i have another reason to want that gpu...

first things first the pc its beautiful :)first things first the pc its beautiful 🙂

the 6900xt its beautiful toothe 6900xt its beautiful tooits a behemoth thoughits a behemoth thoughi was just eyeballing it herei was just eyeballing it hereturns out it fit just fine when i removed the hdd bracketturns out it fit just fine when i removed the hdd bracketjust one of the benchmarks i did, this one on ultra maxed out settings on a game that ran poorly on my old 6600k system.just one of the benchmarks i did, this one on ultra maxed out settings on a game that ran poorly on my old 6600k system.

---
lets talk about rtbh99
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Looking great.  There is nothing quite like completing a computer build and having it run without issues.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
rtbh99
Challenger

i shipped the computer this morning after doing a clean install of windows 🙂

---
lets talk about rtbh99
rtbh99
Challenger

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VCMv6h now on pcpartpicker as a completed build. wish i could  get featured over there lol those cables are hard work

---
lets talk about rtbh99
0 Likes