cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

COYLR
Journeyman III

7900 XTX Random frequency reduced in some games

Take APEX for example, under normal cases, the shader frequency is around 1600Mhz(In Low Quality), but in the first 15 minutes of each start game, there will be a frequency drop, and the frequency after the drop is only a few hundred(~600Mhz) or worse(6Mhz,15Mhz). Fortunately, in APEX, within a minute , the frequency can return to normal.
However, in some games (such as The Finals) after the frequency drops if you do not quit the game computer will completely crash. After the restart, only Integrated graphics is working, you need to use DDU to uninstall and reinstall the display driver, the 7900XTX will start working again.

Things I've tried to resolve the issue:

1. Reinstalling Windows 10.
  2. Upgrade to Windows 11.
  3. Reset the BIOS setting. (Including PBO or Offsets)
  4. Reinstall the lastest BIOS.
  5. Reinstall the graphics driver.
  6. Installing various version of display driver(11.1-12.1).
  7. Trying different power plans and power options.
  8. Disable EXPO (G.Skill 6000C32)

Relative Specifications:
7950X3D + X670EI + GSKILL 6000C32(2*16GB) + Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX + ROG Loki 1000w (SFX-L)

Sorry for the English grammar mistakes in the message, I have not found a solution in many places, I hope you can give me a solution. Thank you very much for your help 

1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

If the problems persist with only two games, then perhaps it's a problem with those games specifically.  I know that World of Tanks - Blitz has been having problems with crashing; they fix it with one update and break it with another.  It's my favorite game too.

In any case, please remove any video connection to the motherboard, and only use a display port connection to your video card and monitor.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

After a crash, when you say only integrated graphics is working, how do you know that?  Do you have a monitor connection to your motherboard display output (HDMI I assume) active all the time?  I would recommend not having a connection to the motherboard graphics port at all while you are using the 7900XTX output.  Also, do you have integrated graphics disabled in your BIOS?  What is the PCIe port setting (PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 4.0)?  Maybe changing that can help too.

Does your computer crash at any other times or only when gaming?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

So far, these are the only two games that have this problem.
I only have one DP port connected to the output of the 7900xtx. After a reboot, the resolution and refresh rate do not reach 4K144Hz, and you can only see the integrated graphics card in the task manager and drivers. 7900xtx in Computer Management shows as having updates available.
No matter how many times I reboot, the result is the same, only reinstall the driver can restore normal

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

If the problems persist with only two games, then perhaps it's a problem with those games specifically.  I know that World of Tanks - Blitz has been having problems with crashing; they fix it with one update and break it with another.  It's my favorite game too.

In any case, please remove any video connection to the motherboard, and only use a display port connection to your video card and monitor.