Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

TuffGnarl
Adept I

7800x3d temp spikes - is this normal?

Screenshot 2024-03-28 030205.jpeg

Hi!

I recently bought a PC, for the first time in years. Not totally up to speed with all the technical ins and outs.

I’ve noticed in HWiNFO that while playing CPU intensive games I’ll get little one or two second spikes into the red, specifically only with the tctl/tdie and CPU Die (average) readings. Is this normal?

I took this screen after a session in flight sim.

0 Likes
1 Solution
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Yeah, it's normal, I've got the same CPU and they are made to run hot. Mine hits TJ Max once in a while as well with the Noctua NH D15 . That stacked die is just a heat maker.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

View solution in original post

17 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Yeah, Flight Sim really takes a hit on the CPU.

But if that's your all time maximum peak, then you are pretty much safe.

What's your cooler?

The Englishman

I have a 240mm Liquid Freezer III.

I don’t think the temps sit in the 80s for any amount of time, in fact they seem to be a lot lower generally.

0 Likes
jaandoh
Challenger

I noticed when I played Stationeers, which is not that intensive, so I understand, The temps would spike usually when I saved the game, so I put that down to some form of dogy code in the games save routines, but it could jump like 15C-40C and then revert down to the usual (lower temps). I'm using a 360mm cooler, and would ask yu the same question as @johnnyenglish ...  Which is, what cooler do you use?

I have a 240mm Liquid Freezer III for cooling.

0 Likes

I would hazard a guess that a 240mm cooler is too small for a powerful cpu such as that...

And the next question would be, how big is your case? 

0 Likes

It’s one of the original (smaller sized) Fractal North cases. Pretty compact. You can in theory have a 360mm cooler on the front.

0 Likes
HeyDoeAUD
Adept III

next time you play check your motherboard sensors as well. mine has one that brings up overall temp by 10c, I'm not happy about it

0 Likes

dead set check that motherboard sensor man its called TSI0 (CPU) its a thermal killer.  In the motherboard section in HWiNFO64.exe

0 Likes

Alright I’ll take a look at it, although I’m not sure I follow completely as I’m a bit of a novice. In terms of what it is the sensor in question would be doing?

Did you find it?  I found it was 1 sensor bringing my overall temps up by about 10c I’m not happy bout it

0 Likes
eebiii
Forerunner

Your 240 cooler is perfect for that 7800x3d. That chip runs hot in general as far as I can tell. Your temps are perfectly acceptable, especially in intensive games. You could always remove, re-paste, and reseat the cooler just to double check.

0 Likes
InnerConflict
Adept II

yes, especially with ryzen7000. the chip boosts until a certain templimit. its intended behavior with powerdense circuitry running high voltages and frequencies. same happens with cpu intense programs on intel 12th to 14th gen.

The spikes are normal?

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Yeah, it's normal, I've got the same CPU and they are made to run hot. Mine hits TJ Max once in a while as well with the Noctua NH D15 . That stacked die is just a heat maker.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Alright. Good to know. I haven’t had issues anywhere else so far. I know that flight sim is CPU intensive though. I’ve been playing Control with everything maxed out at neither of the two sensors I mentioned got into the 80s. Likewise, I’ve had Cyberpunk in overdrive mode - path traced RT and full beans everything else with no issues.

when i ran automatic fancurves in BIOS for example, i always had the issue that my pc in idle was quiet, and under specific even just singlethread workloads, my fans ramped really high and then down and during a game sequence where it was intense they ramped up and down and up and down and up and down, i had to go to bios and set a manual fancurve to have peace n quiet. i ran cinebench and tried different static fancurve profiles. like all my casefans run 50%, than 60% etc and the same for my cpu cooler fans, eventually i settled at a sweetspot, where during cinebench runs my cpu didnt thermal throttle and was cool enough at 86°C tdie hotspot with ccd temps at 75°C (check with hwinfo64), but my fans maximum rpm never got noisy enough again to annoy me during use of my pc. its a balancing act. a friend got a 12700k and he had to do the same.

cap the max fanspeed in BIOS, run cinebench, check temps, set the fancurve to a maximum that doesnt audibly annoy you, run cinebench again and see if temps are okay. its not really about temperature anymore, the silicon can handle it as long as tjmax isn´t causing thermal throttling. like my casefans run 60% permantely static, i dont hear em, but they provide enough air to my cpu cooler running at 80% static with bequiet fans, which i also cant hear, so my cpu is kept at below 90°C under heavy multithreaded workloads. it also works for tempspikes under singlethreaded workloads. it is really important to find the balance between airflow, fancurves/rpm and temperature.

in a sense, your temps are fine, you just gotta find fancurve balance so the tempspikes dont suddenly ramp your fans up and cause audible annoyances. once your pc sounds smooth, and your temps are kept below tjmax, its all fine. you might wanna check in on it every 2 to 3 years in case thermal paste dries out and temps rise, but using honeywell ptm7950 or thermalgrizzly kryosheets, really does the trick keeping temps steady for years to come with no worries. otherwise thick pastes like ceramicbased pasts or thich pastes like arctic silver 5 will also do the trick, just dont use runny watery crap like arctic mx series or noctua nt-h1/h2. and also dont use thermalgrizzly thermal pastes, they are overrated. i can really recommend grabbing honeywell ptm7950 from linustechtips or moddiy. might be expensive, but **bleep** its awesome. thermal phase changing pads with the same thermal performance as pastes changed everything. put it on my gpu as well, absolutely magnificent. if it were up to me, stuff like ptm7950 should be an industry standard not just among servers but also desktop.

0 Likes

Dude your name is... Interesting.

0 Likes