Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

lordquilton
Journeyman III

What part next?

Hi guys,

I built my current machine in 2020.

It's a 5600X CPU on an Aorus Pro AX Motherboard with 32 gb of DDR4 3600 RAM.

Chip is Noctua air cooled. 

I have a couple of Samsung M.2 SSD's, and a 2TB platter drive.

An 850 watt Gold rated power supply. Current GPU is a reference 6800 XT.

I play games in 4k on a Samsung Neo G8 32" VA display, it refreshes up to 240hz.

I don't go in for competitive games though, I'm more of an open world, 3D RPG player. Big pretty.

I was getting high 50's fps in Cyberpunk with 85% scaling (still looked better than running it in 1440p imo);

fortunately I'm not that sensitive to frame rates, but a comfortable 80FPS at full UHD in Cyberpunk would be nice.

I'm looking forward to Starfield too, of course. 

The worst performing game I regularly play is Anno 1800, which gets around 40 fps on average. It's maxed out, graphics wise though.

I guess my question is, am I CPU bottlenecked at 4k with the 5600X?  A 5800X3D is pretty affordable to me right now, and Starfield looks CPU heavy too.

Or will I see more improvement by going to a 7900 XTX? (NVIDIA might be proposition elsewhere, but here in Australia there seems to a mysterious "NVIDIA tax" that I refuse to pay, plus ray tracing is not yet a real consideration for me)

I'm thinking of moving to AM5 in a year or two.

Thanks in advance.

2 Solutions
lowteck
Miniboss

I would go with the GPU upgrade.

Your 5600X shouldn't be too much of a bottle-neck and you said you're going AM5 soon.

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...

View solution in original post

lordquilton
Journeyman III

Thanks!

Having seen what Starfield is up to performance wise, I think I will be going to AM5 even sooner than I thought.

Stock for some of the more affordable 7900 XTX's seems to have dried up in this country, hopefully there's some more around the holiday season.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lowteck
Miniboss

I would go with the GPU upgrade.

Your 5600X shouldn't be too much of a bottle-neck and you said you're going AM5 soon.

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
lordquilton
Journeyman III

Thanks!

Having seen what Starfield is up to performance wise, I think I will be going to AM5 even sooner than I thought.

Stock for some of the more affordable 7900 XTX's seems to have dried up in this country, hopefully there's some more around the holiday season.