cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Motherboard recommendation

I am going to upgrading my computer from a 5800x to a 7800x3d. 

I am wanting a mono that is future proof.  Example I am running a x470 gaming m7 ac from Msi.  At the time I bought it back in 2018 it was the top of the line.  Now I am unable to take advantage of any upgrade due to pcie 3 etc.  technology has out paced my rig and I would like to start upgrading and I would like it to be future proofed.  

my main question comes down to should I wait until the end of 2024 to take advantage of the new chipset that is coming out or upgrade it now. If I upgrade it now. What should I get?  My price range is 250-$350. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
6 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

When it comes to technology, there is no such thing as future proof. AMD however has been much more future resistant than Intel. AM4 for example has had a good run, from 2016 through today. And they're still releasing new processors for it, generally all it takes is a BIOS update to an old board to run them. If that's any indication of how long AM5 will last, which AMD has committed to "through 2025 and beyond" then hopefully you will have many years of faithful service.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

so I guess my next question is, is it worth it to upgrade my Mobo and keep my current 5800 to take advantage of the pcie 4 for my video card? and just wait out for the newer boards and cpu's to come out in a year or two?

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB

Using a RX 7600 in a PCIe 3.0 slot is not likely to impact performance much, assuming you're gaming in 1080p resolution? Higher resolutions and quality settings would be impacted more as the card only uses 8x lanes, but it's not likely to be more than 5-10%.

Your Samsung 980 Pro is taking a bigger hit as its max performance is cut nearly in half. PCIe 3.0 4x max bandwidth is less than 4GB/s and that drive is capable of up to 7GB/s in a PCIe 4.0 slot.

The 800 series chipsets expected to release later this year will be the same socket AM5 and offer the same PCIe 5.0 that existing 600 series do. The big change will be the addition of USB 4, so if that is something that interests you, then yes I would wait a few months. If you don't anticipate needing USB 4 for awhile, it may still be worthwhile to wait for the new stuff to see if prices drop on the current 7000 CPUs / 600 boards.

I would not buy anything new for the AM4 platform now if you are considering upgrading to AM5 in less than a year's time.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Go for a 7000 series CPU now, and I would focus on the current AM5 motherboards with the X670E chipset, like this one from MSI.  I believe that the new 9000 series of CPUs will work with the AM5 socket, and you'll be able to flash the BIOS to use one of them (most likely).  I'm not sure a new chipset will be needed for the 9000 series, but that should be investigated.  There are no guarantees in the world of technology.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Thats Funny because that was the Mother Board I was actually looking at. 

That being said, after hearing what you all are saying. I am going to start buying parts. I am looking at the 6500 air flow from Corsair as a case since my 4000 air flow actually is a bit too small and my memory won't let me install a AIO on the top. 

Thank you all for your input and advice

zitgti
Adept II

I think  you can change your graphic card.Cpu you looking for about 320£ and mobo you have budget about 300£ and you have rx7600oc.Sell it and go for hellhound 🙂 Relase it.Rx7900xtx and push your system limits.You have fast cpu already and enought amount ram.only negative side is they are not ddr5.Maybe you can try to buy one of the fastest graphic card and carry on.up to you.IF you looking for gaming Gpu is The most important.