cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Custom Cable Sleeves - Have You Tried Them?

I've seen a few fantastic custom computer builds over the years, and one of the latest fads is to create color coordinated PSU cables for the ones that are exposed, such as the cables going to the video card, motherboard (CPU and main connector), and perhaps some SATA drives.  I've heard of people doing this themselves and I can imagine how difficult it can be.  Has anyone ordered a set of custom made cable sleeves for one of their computer builds?  What problems have you had, other than paying quite a bit for the set?

You've got to love the colors and organization, but are they reliable?You've got to love the colors and organization, but are they reliable?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
13 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

If you aim at cablemod complete custom set, not extensions, its amazing. Have limited experience with them as I do not own any till I change my case.

The custom kit is made exactly for your PSU and you can change the length so you have a comfortable and cable managed fit.

I have a coupon for it, unfortunately does not work for cablemod.eu, only US, yours if you want it, but let me check expiry date has it was from 2020.

Sidenote: ASUS RoG PSUs now ship with cablemod included instead of standard cables.

The Englishman

I'm not sure that I trust cablemods yet.  I've never tried them.  I want to hear more about other peoples experiences.  I worry about miswiring or poor contacts at the pins.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Here's another place that will custom sleeve your PSU cables.  They may even want you to send them your original cables first!  I bet this takes some time.

These can look very sweet and might just put your build over the top.These can look very sweet and might just put your build over the top.

0 Likes
lowteck
Miniboss

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That looks very nice.  You did those yourself @lowteck ?

Yes, my cable management OCD is on point.

HairExtensions-BA-1.gif

Look how much nicer it looks with red extensions...

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
otacon
Adept III

I don't bother with them. My SeaSonic PSUs came with warnings in the manual to not use any cables or extensions that didn't come with the unit to avoid resistance issues. I spend more time looking at my monitor than my PC, so I don't worry about color coordination.

warpfact0r10
Paragon

I've had Cablemod cables on my Seasonic for 5+ years now and am quite happy with them.FsFvDjxWYAEYmmX.jpg

rtbh99
Challenger

ive done two full custom power cables for my own pc, and a friends build. ive also done custom extensions for my husbands pc. making cables is a lot of fun if you have the patience and eye for detail needed to not damage your components.

my short custom power cables for my current pc.my short custom power cables for my current pc.backside of the casebackside of the casemy friends pc with full custom cablesmy friends pc with full custom cablesarranged with extreme carearranged with extreme caremy husbands pc with custom extensions. his psu is semi modular, so i cant make custom cables for that and it isnt really worth sleeving anyway.my husbands pc with custom extensions. his psu is semi modular, so i cant make custom cables for that and it isnt really worth sleeving anyway.extensions laid out on my work table.extensions laid out on my work table.

---
lets talk about rtbh99

Those machines look great! I never thought that you could make cables at home. Are you braiding / casing the wires yourself?

yep, measuring each wire to exact lengths, crimping terminals onto the end, then using paracord, or special plastic sleeving to slip over the terminals. then the ends of the paracord/sleeving get melted onto the ends of the wires, which go into the connector and you cant even tell. very satisfying to make new cables. heres a few pictures from making a really short 8 pin pcie cable

individual wires, cut, crimped, and sleeved in paracord.individual wires, cut, crimped, and sleeved in paracord.my super short pcie 8 pin under construction. because sleeving is the most time consuming part, and my husband was complaining about me soldering, i kept the double wire with visible melted plastic.my super short pcie 8 pin under construction. because sleeving is the most time consuming part, and my husband was complaining about me soldering, i kept the double wire with visible melted plastic.two complete 8 pin pcie cables.two complete 8 pin pcie cables.

---
lets talk about rtbh99
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Very impressive.  My weakness (yes, even I have one) is cable management.  As long as @Sam_AMD doesn't see them, I'm golden.  

0 Likes

Labor of love right there- very nice work!

I remember sleeving PSU cables around each lead group- not individual wires, and that was enough of a PITA.😆