Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Choosing a motherboard

Hey Red Team, 

I saw this tweet from AMD Ryzen Twitter and thought you all would have some excellent answers (plus it could be a great resource for the Part Recommendation conversations). 

What are the most important features to you when choosing a motherboard? 

Bonus: Why do you prefer some of those features? 

giphy.gif

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

That is a great take.

But it will depend a lot on the user.

Recommendations are B chips as they won't hinder performance at all in the CPU department but the questions is much more deeper than this.

Are you on a very limited budget? 
Get a mid tier board with the mid tier chip B450/550/650, try to stay away from A chipsets if possible they will offer very limited support but can be nice if its the most basic of builds.

Need Features and lots of I/O? 
Very few B Chips boards will have the best features and they are limited by "nature" in I/O, best pick here is X 470/570/670.

What about the Brand? 
Each maker will have its traits and its not down to just the physical aspect of the Board, some handle better RMA than others (example). This should be a personal choice.

High vs Mid vs Low Tier? 
Each brand will also have several models to fill the market, some with more bling, others more plain but not less capable in general. Still a personal pick but do read carefully, because this is when things get blurry.

EXAMPLE:

RoG normally gets better binned chips, better caps, integrated I/O shield, better quality VRM's, better materials than for instances TUF or Prime models.
= AND to complicate even more! =
A RoG Strix B450 E-Gaming (B450 has more than 4 variations for the RoG Strix alone, A;F;E and I) The B450 E-Gaming this is the highest and is much more capable board than the RoG Strix X470 F-Gaming, except for the I/O. Better VRM's is one of the examples, so it will handle OC'ing better if you really want to go that way.

Finally, you have the RoG Flagships like the Darkhero, these are crammed with features like no other but that will you cost you more than some GPU's.

This will happen with every brand, either be ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ..... etc..

FINAL TAKE (my opinion only)

Don't get a X chip just because you think it will give you more FPS, get the feature set you want exactly! Do not overspend on the board and underspend on the GPU/CPU.

The Englishman

View solution in original post

10 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

• Price
  • USB ports (and internal ones)
  • VRMs
  • BIOS/Agesa support
  • Visuals (Because I like to look at my PC, lol)

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Visiuals are a big thing for me. Did you see some of the fancy ones ASUS is coming out with for AM5!? When I say my mouth literally dropped.... check this out: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-x670e-extreme-model/

Look at all the pretty lights 🤣

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

@Amber_AMD   lol, yes that's a nice board from Asus, but way too big for me. I'm not a fan of EATX boards. But yeah, I do love the RGB accents that Asus use for their premium boards. But if I ever moved to AM5, I'd probably go for this board from MSI

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X670E-CARBON-WIFI

Just real clean to me and I wanted the X570S Carbon, but didn't have a need to upgrade from my current board.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

I don't mind full ATX and mATX boards, but I don't think I could really do a mini-ATX

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

I can handle mini-ITX for living room or (HTPC) builds. Since I didn't win the AM5 board, I'll move forward with my HTPC end of Christmas. Put my old 3700x to use. I have a case figured, but not sure if I want a micro-ATX board or Mini-ITX. Decisions decisions! @Key-J 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

That is a great take.

But it will depend a lot on the user.

Recommendations are B chips as they won't hinder performance at all in the CPU department but the questions is much more deeper than this.

Are you on a very limited budget? 
Get a mid tier board with the mid tier chip B450/550/650, try to stay away from A chipsets if possible they will offer very limited support but can be nice if its the most basic of builds.

Need Features and lots of I/O? 
Very few B Chips boards will have the best features and they are limited by "nature" in I/O, best pick here is X 470/570/670.

What about the Brand? 
Each maker will have its traits and its not down to just the physical aspect of the Board, some handle better RMA than others (example). This should be a personal choice.

High vs Mid vs Low Tier? 
Each brand will also have several models to fill the market, some with more bling, others more plain but not less capable in general. Still a personal pick but do read carefully, because this is when things get blurry.

EXAMPLE:

RoG normally gets better binned chips, better caps, integrated I/O shield, better quality VRM's, better materials than for instances TUF or Prime models.
= AND to complicate even more! =
A RoG Strix B450 E-Gaming (B450 has more than 4 variations for the RoG Strix alone, A;F;E and I) The B450 E-Gaming this is the highest and is much more capable board than the RoG Strix X470 F-Gaming, except for the I/O. Better VRM's is one of the examples, so it will handle OC'ing better if you really want to go that way.

Finally, you have the RoG Flagships like the Darkhero, these are crammed with features like no other but that will you cost you more than some GPU's.

This will happen with every brand, either be ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ..... etc..

FINAL TAKE (my opinion only)

Don't get a X chip just because you think it will give you more FPS, get the feature set you want exactly! Do not overspend on the board and underspend on the GPU/CPU.

The Englishman
Key-J
Paragon

Probably the most important factor, does it fit the CPU I am using? 😛

For me, I would go:

• Price
  • Ports (E.g SATA & USB)
  • Build Quality
  • Size

I am a simple man. I don't care for overclocking so there are some things that don't matter too much for me.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
Vynski
Exemplar

#1 : Lightning Gen 5 NVMe 2.

#2 : Lightning USB 3.2

#3 : 128 GB RAM (minimum 64 GB)

#4 : No Integrated Audio or GPU

#5 : Wi-Fi 6 ax

#6 : Latest version of Bluetooth

#7 : Performance and quality

Ryzen 9 3900X / MSI MEG X570 ACE / Radeon 5700XT / GSKIL 32 GB 3200 / Sound Blaster Z SE / Sabrent Rocket NVMe 2.8 4x4 / Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse (bluetooth)

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
ThreeDee
Paragon

-Reviews

-Build quality, ie .. # of power phases, VRM's ..etc

-4 memory slots

-Product Support/Warranty

-Buy according to use case. For example, my daughter and I do a lot of gaming and I tweak our RAM to get a little more performance and run multiple PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives so we run x570's (her a Steel Legend, I run the Taichi) so I wanted a little "higher end" motherboards for that. While my wife just has 14 Billion tabs open between Edge .. Chrome .. and Brave browsers, Hulu, Plex, and our camera software for the regular 8 cameras and Bluestacks to watch the single camera out front .. So I went budget and have her on a B550m Phantom Gaming 4. Which in all honesty would probably be just fine for myself and my daughter too, lol.

ThreeDee PC specs
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I shy away from the expensive motherboards.  I do try to get the high-end chipset though.  I don't overclock so the VRM quality isn't as important to me.  I like to have some of those optional features, like WiFi and a speedy Ethernet port.  Good audio is another big plus.  I cannot justify a separate sound card with the quality of built-in audio in todays motherboards.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".