cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

roundleafbirch
Journeyman III

7700XT or 6800XT?

I'm building a pc for my dad and am wondering which video card you would recommend for around $400 USD. I'm thinking about the 7700XT or 6800XT. I'm currently looking at XFX Speedster versions but open to other suggestions.
Also he has a old tired 60hz business monitor so I'm planning on getting a new monitor also. Are either of these cards alright for 1440p? Not sure if I should aim for 1440p at 60 fps or 1080p at 120+ fps range.

Any input is welcome. Thanks!

6 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

I would watch several benchmarks from youtube there are a lot of content there. Specially the titles that he play.

The 6800 would be more suited towards higher resolutions because it has more vram to spare and it was marketed as a 4K card as well.

Good luck with the future card 

The Englishman
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

6800 XT is the faster card by like 16%. So I'll always say go with the faster card easily.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I agree with @johnnyenglish and @GreatnessRD ; go with the RX 6800 XT if you can find it at a good price.  It should handle a 1440p monitor at 120 Hz.  I have several of the LG UltraGear QHD 34-inch curved gaming monitors (34GP63A-B), which are VA panels with HDR 10 compatibility and AMD FreeSync Premium and run at 160 Hz.  In fact, I just bought one on Amazon for $249 USD.  That's a good match for the RX 6800 XT video card.

LG UltraGear QHD 34-inch curved gaming monitor (34GP63A-B)LG UltraGear QHD 34-inch curved gaming monitor (34GP63A-B)

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I'll toss in my 2 bits for the Dell G2724D. 165Hz IPS. At higher refresh rates the image is much more crisp and not smeary like a VA panel. Yes, color definition suffers a bit, but I deal with it. Downside: only 27". Word is the 32" units are kind of grainy at 1440p resolution.

Performance over Pretty.
RoseCliver
Adept I

@roundleafbirch wrote:

I'm building a pc for my dad and am wondering which video card you would recommend for around $400 USD. I'm thinking about the 7700XT or 6800XT. I'm currently looking at XFX Speedster versions but open to other suggestions. Dgmeinsider
Also he has a old tired 60hz business monitor so I'm planning on getting a new monitor also. Are either of these cards alright for 1440p? Not sure if I should aim for 1440p at 60 fps or 1080p at 120+ fps range.

Any input is welcome. Thanks!

Both the 7700XT and 6800XT are excellent choices for a $400 budget. They handle 1440p gaming well. The 6800XT offers more power, making it ideal for future-proofing. For a monitor, consider a 1440p display at 60 fps for a balanced experience.

Axxemann
Forerunner

6800XT. I'm running one and easily hit engine and refesh caps on games at 1440p (War Thunder, NFS Heat, Halo: Infinite, Helldivers 2 to name a few) and can easily push 90+ fps at 4K on my 120Hz refresh TV. All at maximum settings. 

The only advantage I see to the 7700XT is AV1 encoding at the GPU level.

Older game engines (like HD2 and WT) tend to favor the 6000 series in terms of stability. I know a few guys with 7900XTs and XTXs who have crash problems galore in HD2, solely because of how explosions are rendered in the engine. No such problems with the 6800XT.

Now, having said that, me card does work pretty hard in newer games like The Finals where RT is active all the time, and in the First Descendant where there are tons of visuals to render. I'm only hitting 30-40fps at 4k/max. Medium bumps it to around 80-90 fps, and still looks really good. Haven't run anything at 1440p in the First Descendant since the recliner is much more comfy to game from lately.

Performance over Pretty.