cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

Writing into resident texture from compute shader crash

Hello, so making a texture resident and then writing into that texture from a compute program will eventually lead to a crash I say eventually because its after a random number of swap buffers I tried a number of things to get it more consistent sadly to no avail. I'm currently able to work around the issue by first binding the texture to an image bind slot with glBindImageTexture before making the texture resident then all is well I never then get a crash in the example I'm including here I ran for minutes just to be sure.

As a side note in the main codebase where I'm working around this I cant attribute any specific any crashes from this case however what was happening in engine was writes from the compute program into a resident texture were not visible unless I bound it to an image bind slot before hand same as above. when I started making the simple reproducible to post here oddly enough writes from the compute shader go through but it crashes randomly. To note in driver 22.5.1 writes from a compute shader into a resident texture go through fine.

Note when running the reproducible let it swap buffers for a awhile usually for me its under 2000 swaps but can go high to 100k before crashing. The handle seems valid with no errors from glDebugMessageCallback, I'm assuming everything in the example call wise is sensible.

reproducible

windows10 : rx5700xt : driver 23.7.2 crash
windows10 : rx5700xt : driver 23.7.1 crash
windows10 : rx5700xt : driver 22.5.1 no crash

0 Likes
3 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @RichPressence ,

Thanks for reporting the issue and providing the reproducible example.  I will forward the issue to the OpenGL team.

Thanks.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Just FYI, I have filed an internal bug ticket to track this issue.

Thanks.

0 Likes
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @RichPressence ,

The OpenGL team has informed that they were unable to reproduce the issue with the above reproducible example. 

Thanks.

0 Likes