cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

kphillisjr
Adept II

Vulkan: Working with Mixed GPU rendering?

I read that DirectX 12 supports explicit Multi-GPU support, and I am wanting to find out how to handle Explicit multi-gpu using Vulkan. I am needing explicit Multi-GPU because I have mixed graphics cards where all of the graphics cards chipsets are made by the same company, but feature different supported features because the hardware generations are different. Some example hardware I am needing to use are shown by the following 3 systems...

• System 1: Acer laptop featuring AMD Ryzen 5 2500U (integrated graphics) and AMD Radeon RX 560 dedicated graphics.
  • System 2: Desktop computer with AMD Ryzen 7 1700X cpu, AMD Radeon R9 Fury and AMD Radeon R9 380
  • System 3: Desktop computer with AMD Ryzen 3 2200G cpu and AMD Radeon R7 360.

Side Note: I also know that OpenGL features a system close to what I am looking at for by having support for WGL_AMD_gpu_association (on windows) and GLX_AMD_gpu_association ( for Linux).

0 Likes
2 Replies

You can create a separate VkDevice using vkPhysicalDevice for each GPU in your systems.

0 Likes

Thank you for the response, and I was expecting to need multiple VkDevices for this, however I still need more information to better utilize the hardware. I am looking at completing some sort of computational work on the lower-end graphics card and feeding that information into the higher end graphics card. A few examples of tasks I will be using the lower-end graphics card for are as follows...

• Particle simulation
  • Physics Simulation
  • Hair Simulation
  • Cloth simulation
  • generated images - Mini map rendering for example
0 Likes