cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

joshklint
Adept II

Radeon 6000 series failing to run Vulkan 1.3 application

My new software product using Vulkan 1.3 is ready for launch. Users have reported problems with GPUs including the 6800, and I have verified the issue using a 6600 on Windows 10 64-bit with driver "adrenalin-edition-23.9.3".

Download: (removed)

• The "VK_LAYER_KHRONOS_validation" layer is enabled and reports no errors.
  • The program works as expect in the debug build, but crashes with no messages in the release build.
  • The latest version of the Vulkan Memory Allocator library is in use.

Untitled.png

Issue first reported here: https://www.ultraengine.com/community/topic/61434-ultra-does-not-work-with-amd-rx6800m-amd-rx6900-xt

Also, please elevate my permissions to "Developer" for this account. I am the developer of Leadwerks Game Engine and the new Ultra Engine.

1 Solution
joshklint
Adept II

Thank you both for your responses.

I found that the Khronos validation layer was not enabled in release mode, and I did not pay much attention to this because I expected both builds to execute the same code. I mentally associate validation layers with Debug builds, but in retrospect that is the most obvious place I should have looked.

This error was being caused by a bad pointer in the swapchain create info structure. The Khronos validation layer was able to catch this in the release build, and then it was simple to find the bug. Sorry for the confusion.

There may still be some small issues with a few post-processing effects, but this problem is resolved now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @joshklint ,

Thanks for reporting it. I have forwarded the issue to the Vulkan team.

You have been whitelisted for the AMD Developers community.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hey @joshklint 

I will create an internal ticket for this issue. In the meantime can you provide the vulkaninfo logs for your environment and the compilable source for amdbasictest.zip to speedup progress on this issue? Also when it crashes, would you be able to see the crash dump file to see any further hints?

Thanks,

Owen

0 Likes
joshklint
Adept II

Thank you both for your responses.

I found that the Khronos validation layer was not enabled in release mode, and I did not pay much attention to this because I expected both builds to execute the same code. I mentally associate validation layers with Debug builds, but in retrospect that is the most obvious place I should have looked.

This error was being caused by a bad pointer in the swapchain create info structure. The Khronos validation layer was able to catch this in the release build, and then it was simple to find the bug. Sorry for the confusion.

There may still be some small issues with a few post-processing effects, but this problem is resolved now.

0 Likes