Here's the short summary of my problem:
1. I've had RX6950XT for a while. Everything running with no problems.
2. Recently bought RX7900XTX. No OpenGL (GPUZ reports gl1.1, Adrenalin reports no OpenGL API)
3. Tried reinstalling the drivers, reinstalling the driver with clean installation, installing older drivers, then reinstalling whole OS. No luck.
4. Went back to RX6950XT. Everything instantly works fine.
5. Switched to RX7900XTX - No OpenGL.
6. Also tried switching the Windows' power plans - no difference.
I have Ryzen 9 5950X CPU (so not an APU, no integrated GPU). Also latest BIOS for my MB (GB Aorus Extreme X570).
Hi @timicesq ,
Thanks for reporting it. I have whitelisted you and moved the post to the OpenGL forum.
Could you please check if the monitor is connected to DP/HDMI port on the motherboard or to the AMD gpu?
If no monitor is connected to the AMD gpu, please connect a monitor and then try and share your findings.
The monitor is connected to the Radeon's HDMI. Connecting it to the motherboard's ports doesn't work as I don't have any other GPUs (no APU - no iGPU). i have also tried the 3 remaining ports on the GPU (1 more HDMI and 2 more DPs) with the exact same result: Everything works perfectly fine except for the lack of OpenGL acceleration (all DirectX and all Vulkan games run fine).
Hi @timicesq ,
As the OpenGL team suggested, could you please try the following steps and share your observation?
1) Factory reset, install the latest Adrenalin 23.7.2 on the system with RX 6950XT,
2) Shut down the system, swap RX 6950XT with RX 7900XTX,
3) Reboot the system,
4) Launch Radeon Software, navigate to Settings > System
5) Check the version information
The above steps did not solve the problem: OpenGL was working fine on 6950XT, but absent on 7900XTX. But those suggestions gave me an idea that there may be "secretly" two different driver versions installed on my system. I plugged in 6950 and used pnputil.exe to remove all display drivers that were currently not in use. After that I switched to 7900 and OpenGL was working fine.
This leads me to the following conclusions:
1. The installer/uninstaller of the Adrenalin software is NOT uninstalling everything correctly _OR_ Windows 11 itself is immediately silently auto-installing some unknown (?) drivers when there are none installed manually by the user. In either case this should be resolved by the driver team (possibly in collaboration with Microsoft?) so that the Adrenalin installer makes sure that any and all other drivers present in the system get uninstalled/disabled/blocked/whatever and it should also make sure that OpenGL is available (because if it's not then obviously the installation has failed as all Radeons and their drivers support at least some version of OpenGL).
2. OpenGL driver itself should still be picked up correctly - even when there are 2 different versions of AMD's OpenGL drivers in the system. Both OpenGL drivers that were on my system work correctly, so there is absolutely no reason for them to suddenly stop working (and become silently invisible to the system) in the case when there are two of them. The code should simply try to pick "any of the two" instead of silently failing and incorrectly reporting that there is no OpenGL driver in the system (while there are 2). Also in the case when OpenGL driver fails to be initialized for whatever reason, it should generate an error log to at least give a hint as to why it failed.