Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

gudlaugu
Journeyman III

Getting opencl to work with Radeon R9 290 on opensuse Leap 15.3 -- repost

This is a repost of

Getting opencl to work with Radeon R9 290 on opensuse Leap 15.3

As suggested, this may be better handled by OpenCL developers.

0 Likes
6 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Thank you for reporting the problem. I have whitelisted you and moved the post to the appropriate forum.

Please share the following information - 1) driver version, 2) detailed installation steps

Thanks.

0 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

1) amdgpu-pro-21.40-1332084

2) I used the amdgpu-install script with the option --usecase=workstation --opencl=legacy --vulkan=pro and then later ran it again with --opencl=rocr after the first option did not work as expected.

Running /opt/amdgpu-pro/bin/clinfo as a user in the video group results in

ERROR: clGetPlatformIDs(-1001)

while running it as root gives

Number of platforms: 1
Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE
Platform Version: OpenCL 2.2 AMD-APP (3361.0)
Platform Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Platform Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Platform Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback

Platform Name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices: 0

Running rocminfo as either root or user gives

ROCk module is loaded
hsa api call failure at: /long_pathname_so_that_rpms_can_package_the_debug_info/src/rocminfo/rocminfo.cc:1143
Call returned HSA_STATUS_ERROR_OUT_OF_RESOURCES: The runtime failed to allocate the necessary resources. This error may also occur when the core runtime library needs to spawn threads or create internal OS-specific events.

0 Likes

Thank for the above information.

1) amdgpu-pro-21.40-1332084

As I can see, the latest AMDGPU-Pro driver is available here: AMDGPU_PRO 21.40.1 . If you are using a different driver, please try this latest version.

If the issue still persists, please provide the below additional information that would be helpful to file a bug report against it.

AMDGPU-Pro Bug Reporting

2) I used the amdgpu-install script with the option --usecase=workstation --opencl=legacy --vulkan=pro and then later ran it again with --opencl=rocr after the first option did not work as expected.

As mentioned in the AMDGPU-Pro installation document here , the "legacy" OpenCL implementation provides support for hardware older than Vega 10. So, I think, "--opencl=legacy" is right option for Hawaii device. "ROCr" implementation is used for Vega 10 and newer hardware.

Please note, R9 290 is not officially supported by ROCm. Here is the list of supported GPUs:  

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm#hardware-and-software-support

Thanks.

0 Likes

Thank you for the information.

As I can see, the latest AMDGPU-Pro driver is available here: AMDGPU_PRO 21.40.1 . If you are using a different driver, please try this latest version.

I did a fresh install of 21.40.1 and the results is the same.  Still no openCL.

If the issue still persists, please provide the below additional information that would be helpful to file a bug report against it.

AMDGPU-Pro Bug Reporting

I prepared the information as listed in the page and uploaded them to

http://propagation.raunvis.hi.is/~gudlaugu/LOG_AMDGPU/

Please note, R9 290 is not officially supported by ROCm. Here is the list of supported GPUs:  

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm#hardware-and-software-support

I knew that, but the page also says it could possibly work so I decided to give it a try anyway.  I guess I will have to buy new hardware to test out the new sycl and openmp programming methods.

0 Likes

Thank you for providing the log files. I will report the issue to the concerned team.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Let me know if you need further information.

0 Likes