OpenCL

htjan
Journeyman III

Can't Install opencl on debian/ubuntu with RX 5700 XT

Hi,

I'm tryning to install opencl on linux. I tried debian 11 and ubuntu 20.04.02

I try to  install opencl this way :
- download the amdgpu-pro install
- run the command "./amdgpu-pro --install --opencl=legacy,pal" or "./amdgpu-pro --install --opencl=legacy,rocr" for newer version.

I tried several amdgpu-pro versions, but none of them work :
- amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261
- amdgpu-pro-19.50-967956-ubuntu-18.04
- amdgpu-pro-20.20-1089974-ubuntu-20.04
- amdgpu-pro-20.45-1164792-ubuntu-20.04
- amdgpu-pro-20.40-1147287-ubuntu-18.04
- amdgpu-pro-20.50-1234664-ubuntu-20.04

i also tried theses installations with different kernel as I read on some forums but none of them work :
vmlinuz-5.8.0-43-generic
vmlinuz-5.8.0-48-generic
vmlinuz-5.8.0-49-generic
vmlinuz-5.4.0-54-generic

Do you know how I can install opencl or which combination of kernel/amdgpu-pro package works please ?

0 Likes
4 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @htjan ,

Thank you for reporting it. I've whitelisted you and moved the post to the OpenCL forum.

Thanks.

dipak
Big Boss

I try to install opencl this way :
- download the amdgpu-pro install
- run the command "./amdgpu --install --opencl=legacy,pal" or "./amdgpu --install --opencl=legacy,rocr" for newer version.

As mentioned in the Amdgpu-pro installation guide, there are two major stack variants available for installation - "All-Open Stack" and "Pro Stack". OpenCL comes with the "pro stack". So please try to install the pro stack by using command:

"amdgpu-pro-install" or "amdgpu-install --pro".

Thanks.

Hi dipak,

I'm sorry, I didn't wrote the correct command I'm using. In deed, I run each time the "amdgpu-pro-install" command. I read in the manual this is the way to install opencl. I also add the "headless" option in order to try to make the command run. I'll make a correction on the main message.

Each time I get an error regarding "amdgpu-dkms" and/or "amdgpu-dkms-firmware" or any other error making the install crashing.

I have to mention that the user I use to try to install opencl is member of "video" and "render" groups.

Thank you for the above information. 

It would be helpful if you please provide the detailed error message which you are getting during the installation process. I'll check with the concerned team.

Thanks.