Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Speaking of Off Topic... Mattresses!

Hey everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a new mattress for me, my fiance, and our dog (because of course he sleeps with us). Right now, we have this crummy queen-sized mattress from IKEA that we got 2 years ago claiming, "We'll only have it for a few months until we find a nice one." Welp, fast forward to now, and our backs are killing us, and we're over it.

So I figured I'd ask around here to see if anyone has opinions on a solid mattress. We've currently been looking at those "out-of-the-box" brands like Purple, Nectar, and Helix.

We're not opposed to any other brands, those have just been the three that have popped up more often in my research (optimal for side sleepers, back sleepers, etc.) I know this is truly off-topic, but that's what this discussion is for, so please let me know if you have a mattress you love.

bed2.gif

18 Replies
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

LOL - this post topic made me giggle. 

So, a while ago my mom convinced me to buy a custom-made King mattress from a warehouse in Dallas... It was pretty pricey, like $2K - but it's the best mattress I've ever had and sleeps SO good. 

It's been a couple of years now so unfortunately, I can't find the company or remember what it was called. But definitely recommend looking around! 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

~$2-3K nowadays seems to be the norm (which is crazy), but hey, they say you should always invest in anything that separates you and the floor. (shoes, mattresses, tires, brakes, chairs, etc.)

Anyway, thanks for not remembering the name and not helping! (TOTALLY KIDDING LOL)

LOLOLOL Hey I'm just here to say that sometimes local factories could have better/more custom deals for you 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

2 or 3K? 😮

And I thought that 700 was expensive.

The Englishman

Each passing day Red team shows me that I'm poverty, lmao. 3 bands on a mattress, wheeww! But I bet that thang is the closest to utopia ever, lol.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Listen, I'm not trying to spend that much... but inflation my man! If I need to invest, I'll invest for the good of my back 😂

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I actually use a multilayered (Latex, alveolar and memory foam) from IKEA for 8 Years now. It was the most expensive at the time, but after so long, no regrets and no bad nights. Its a tad bit warm in the summer but amazing in the winter.

Spring mattresses are cooler as the air circulates more.. the thing is..
I can't sleep well with spring mattresses, make my back hurt after 3 or 4 nights.

I also like the fact it is has a cover that can be machine washed.

The Englishman

I never thought to layer the mattress itself! Maybe that could be a nice temp. fix until we decide to purchase a new one.

Key-J
Paragon

Oh man, my wife and I went through some SERIOUS mattress struggles ourselves. Trying to find the right one took a lot of looking around, and of course, when you lie down on the mattress in a store for like 35 seconds you can't really judge what is good.

The first thing I would suggest is to change to a King Size (sure you can still snuggle and love your partner and/or dog) but that extra sleeping space is worth it.

We tried a Casper mattress and ended up returning it within their return window. Honestly, we felt that it was just way too soft and it felt like we were sleeping in a ditch. We have gone through a couple of mattress brands, and you are right they are unfortunately all around $1.5k - $2k which absolutely sucks.

What we found worked well for us, is to buy a firmer than we "wanted" mattress, because, after time sleeping on it every night, it is going to start getting a little bit softer and softer to the point where it slips into the firmness that we originally wanted when we went to the store. It worked for us, but it might not for you.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

This is solid advice! We typically prefer a slightly firmer mattress, and I think this is a smart thing to do when purchasing one. And we absolutely want a king for all that glorious extra space, haha.

0 Likes
dongjj1990
Adept II

as single I just bought one from amazon fast and easy. save money.

eebiii
Forerunner

Stearns & Foster® Official Website | Stearns (stearnsandfoster.com)

My wife and I purchased one of these about 3 years ago and its AWESOME! And you don't have to buy direct. We got a great deal at a local store. 

Stearns & Foster was actually a brand we checked out in person at a local store! We thought it was pretty comfortable, mind if I ask which particular mattress you have from them?

Whats cool about these mattresses; is they are all hand stitched and signed by the person who did the work. Can't beat the giant pillow top either IMO.

SF.JPGSF1.JPG

0 Likes

Also, my wife told me we got ours from Costco. 

0 Likes

I agree with Stearns and Foster.

It just so happens to be laundry day at my casa, so I took the time to check out the mattress as I was taking off the Sheets and we have a Stearns & Foster Founder Collection. I assume it is the Ashton Gate - but I am not 100% sure about that.

We also bought from a local seller rather than directly from them. - One thing I will mention, because they have a sort of "pillow" top to the mattress, you cant flip it to extend life, and you will notice a little bit of a hump start to form in the middle of the mattress between where you and your partner sleep. AKA "No Mans Land" 😛

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
CallMeKap
Adept II

Not wanting to pay mattress store prices, I took a chance on a $200 Spa Sensations memory foam mattress from Walmart about a decade ago, and have never looked back. I still remember my girlfriend's combined look of skepticism and disgust as I took this "cheap" vacuum-packed mattress out of the box, but after trying it, she couldn't stop gushing about how comfortable it was, and I personally wouldn't go back to a coil-spring mattress again.

I just took a peek, and the one I got still has a 4.4 star rating with over 19k reviews, with free shipping and a 90-day return policy.

Axxemann
Forerunner

I've never been able to find a mattress that was truly great.

I'm a big dude, and I'm a side sleeper. I also want incredibly firm support for my back, hips and shoulders while still feeling like I'm hovering in mid air when I'm kinda curled up on my semi-fetal position. These days it's just me and the cat. He has so many places he likes to sleep that his input is pretty much irrelevant. Inigo Montoyger will sleep anywhere on anything and he's happy. 

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes