cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

SubtleIQ
Adept III

So why the animosty towards Console Gamers?

I am really curious. 

I for one was a diehard console player for many many years, Atari 2600, the Odyssey, SNES, Playstation 1 through 3, Xbox through Xbox One. I owned 2 PC's somewhere during all of those consoles.  The first pc was a $100 prebuilt, the second was a $1000 Gaming Rig my first built pc. I had it for almost a year; then I sold it for $600.  Then I was strictly went console only until just before Playstation 4/ Xbox One era.  That is when I came back to PC.  When I started seeing more and more exclusives for consoles only appearing on Steam.  Shortly after Good Old Games became GOG.  And after a few years I held some animosity towards console gamers as well.  Not so much that I was jealous, seeing how I owned a Xbox One, and Playstation 4.  The animosity I had was largely due that for  several years before and during the attitude was PC Gaming is dying...becoming extinct even.  Which is beyond hilarious,  because this is around the time I made my 2nd Gaming PC, and made a few others afterwards for friends and family.

That also being the time I started having pity for consoles.  The GPU's they had in them where heartbreaking.  But then came the current gen consoles.  And I am actually estatic.  Now for the first time, console players are not missing out as much as they were.  Before they were stuck with 720/1080p and textures ... oh lord.  But now the doors are open/opening and console gamers for the first time are getting to see a glimpse of what a genuine decent GPU can do.  What we PC Gamers have been experiencing for many many years now.  Heck I was using a 1920x1200 monitor since I made my 2nd PC, and wanting 1440p for longer I can remember.   And this was all before 4k was even available.  So I have no animosity at all now, but I do know it is out there.  The problem though is at this point in time ... is why ?  Only because I would like to think alot of us PC Gamers that had animosity has evolved now, specially now that cross platform gaming is becoming. Thoughts? especially from all of you PC Gamers 50 years or older...

Michael Alan Horton
0 Likes
14 Replies

Depends on the Users priorities.

If a User needs to have a computer that he can use to surf the internet and perform and run complex apps and watch videos besides playing the latest games with the latest gaming technology then the PC is the route to take.

Game consoles have a much more limited use then a PC/Laptop computer but generally less expensive then the average Laptop/Desktop computer.

If I just needed something to play games as  my main priority than I would purchase a Game Console. At the same time I can watch videos and have a limited access to the internet.

eebiii
Miniboss

Computer Graphics, CPU power, ram etc.. and the ability to easily upgrade, overclock with ease and installing custom cooling, IMO, flat out destroys console gaming. That being said, if you were only gaming, then console wouldn't be so bad. I bought a PS5 for the kids a couple years ago and basically the only times it gets used is when MLB the show comes out, I buy the new version and play the hell out of it. Otherwise maybe my daughter (16) will get on once in a while and race some f1 and nascar. My son (14) has a 5900x and 6950xt to play with and never touches the console and he plays everything. It's a personal decision for each person and what they want to get out of it. I know people who are on computers all day long at work and have no interest in ever owning one but love gaming on consoles. No Hater here! I just prefer PC's.

Axxemann
Forerunner

Because PC MASTERRACE!

I still own a PC. My last console was the OG Xbox. Shooters are meant to be played with a mouse & keyboard. Sims are best with a full peripheral suite (wheel/pedals/flight controls... pick your poison.)

Anything a console can do, my PC *WILL* do better.

Consoles are for poors. PCs will MAKE you poor! 🤣

Performance over Pretty.
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I turned my OG Xbox into a PC lol. I'm working on blog about the process as I'm building
another one but hopefully with an AMD GPU if I can find one small enough. Needs to be a single fan design and not a 6500xt lol

20221115_082405.jpg20221115_082442.jpg

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Consoles definitely have their place. They are plug-and-play and uncomplicated, made for people that don't want to spend the money on a gaming PC, and you can play God of War Ragnarok and the new HZD! I still rock a PS5 and Series X. Have to be able to play those PlayStation Exclusives and Xbox Gamepass is the best value around if you want day-one releases and a seemingly endless supply of games. Still, with PC Gamepass there are still games that are only on the Xbox

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
Spurious_ECG
Adept II

A lot of people started gaming on consoles and lots haven't ever gamed on PC. Though I know a handful that have transitioned over to PC since it has many advantages over consoles.
Note all current gen consoles are currently using AMD hardware. 🙂

MADZyren
Paragon

I doubt console players are hated, but consoles slow down progress of games as their hardware is stuck to whatever it is and for instance new version of Playstation come out only every 7 years. Games are designed to run both with consoles and PC, so until PS6 or XBOX something comes out, we are all stuck. PS5 came out 2020, so if nothing has changed, next will be out in 2027. New GPUs are released every two years, so there will be Nvidia 50-series and AMD 8000-series before that and by the time there is PS6, there will be 60-series and 9000-series, but games will have to be designed to run on low power version of 6000-series GPUs (RDNA2).

Then there is the question of controllers. When using mouse and keyboard, it is about how fast and accurate you are, but with consoles it is aim assist as console controllers are not exactly good for accuracy.

Then there is the question of people or families who play with a console often do not have computers. These days once again, there are many homes that do not have computers, but only use smartphones and maybe a tablet. It isn't a money thing either, but just people who don't find any use for computers. I somehow see this the same way than people who didn't have bookshelves back when digital books didn't exist yet. Ergo, console people are touchscreen people and touchscreen people are tiktok people and tiktok people predecessors didn't have bookshelves.

You really need a use for a computer other than gaming.  Such as spreadsheets for livestock feed rations, livestock inventory, crop records, record keeping in general, just about anything required for a business or your job.  A database used to quickly access data and compare results.  Communicating via letters and forms with other similar businesses.  Computers are great teaching tools with a multitude of educational software that will actually teach the facts.  

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Ah, @Vynski there's the rub. You can do a lot of that stuff on a tablet or cheap laptop. My ex hasn't had much use for a PC of any type since she does it all on her smartphone. She had one up until a couple months after we split up when it fried during a thunderstorm, and it was basically cobbled together from my old parts and barely ran Windows 10.

But as @MADZyren alluded, she is the embodiment of the Touchscreen Tiktok people. I think I only put up with her because she could cook, bake and had nice jooblies.

Performance over Pretty.

I've never even attempted some of the spreadsheets I have built to run on a smartphone.  I got a smartphone about 3 years ago.  I think they have named them improperly.  So I named mine "dumb a..".  I don't know if its my fingers tend to hit buttons that cause it to do bizarre things or whatever.  I have uninstalled at least 95% of the apps that were installed on it, that Verizon thinks everyone needs.  I don't do Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok for sure.  The only reason I have Google installed is for Google Earth Pro and I only use Edge if a specific web site requires it.  If all hackers were evil, like some are, this planet would be in a deep world of hurt.  You would have technology, but couldn't use.  Just like my topic of "Driverless Cars".  I for one, don't see that ever happening.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

My dude... we could be brother from different mothers!

Performance over Pretty.
ThreeDee
Paragon

Console players murdered my parents in a dark alley in a seedy part of my home town when I was but a child .. I have sworn vengeance and hatred against their kind for as long I have breath in my bosom .... 

ThreeDee PC specs

B... batman?

red5
Miniboss

What's a console? 🤓

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN