cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Project Silica - Have You Heard About This?

Microsoft is working on a new kind of storage technology, called Project Silica, that could store data essentially forever without any electricity. Instead of writing data to a magnetic storage medium, it encodes that data in a sheet of glass smaller than a DVD.

Microsoft engineer Ant Rowstron and his team has developed a system that writes data to sheets of glass using short laser pulses. The laser physically alters the internal structure of the glass, so even scratches on the surface won't alter the code. Since glass is a very stable material, engineers estimate the data could be stored safely for 10,000 years or more. A single plate has enough space for 1.75 million music tracks, which works out to about 7TB of total storage. Notably, the glass plates don't need any power to do their job. You just stack them on a shelf and read them when needed.

Can you imagine that 7 TB of data can be stored within this piece of glass?Can you imagine that 7 TB of data can be stored within this piece of glass?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
4 Replies

Yes, and this has been a thing for more than a couple of decades already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage
Good for very specific storage circumstances (like humanity's backup data in the arctic bunker/space capsule in case of an apocalypse), but not much else.

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D

Thanks for sharing that Wiki link. 

I see it as a way to archive data, meaning data that you don't want to change - perhaps a series of books, etc.  Being very stable and not requiring energy to maintain the data storage on the glass plates is a big plus.  Of course, the glass plates and related hardware to enable retrieval of the data will consume energy, but that's a small price to pay.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
AgCN3
Adept III

It's all fun and games until you drop it on a hardwood or tile floor...  😝

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That could be true for many backup devices.