Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Key-J
Paragon

Nintendo Switch

KeyJ_1-1682350626791.jpeg

So, here in my City, it was an extremely gloomy and rainy day yesterday. The kids were all amped up, and my wife and I were bored and without much ambition to do much so... we went out and bought a Switch!

Ok ok.. so that wasn't the only reason. We had been planning to buy one for my birthday next month but decided to just jump the gun a little early.

It came with Mario Kart, and we bought Mario Party Superstars. So far the kids have loved playing Mario Kart!

Since this is the first console I have owned since around 2010/2011 - (#PCMR ftw!) I wanted to ask those Switch players out there two questions:

1. Are there any other games that you recommend that are great for family play / ~5 year olds?
  2. What solo/2-player games do you recommend that are good for adults?

Also - if anyone has a switch and would be interested in becoming friends, PM me your details!

Let me know!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
21 Replies
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Oh, boy (cracks knuckles)...

Family-friendly:  

Single Player games: 

There's more, but that's all I have for now! Minecraft is also a popular kid's game, but you could play that anywhere... hehe.

Welcome to the Switch fam!

Hahahahaha, I can actually picture you getting ready to type this out 😛

I definitely want to get Super Mario Odyssey and actually just saw and ad for 3D world + bowser's Fury.

Any idea if Luigi's Mansion would be ok for a kid to play/watch? My son really likes Luigi.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

Based on some Google research, most parents recommend ages 6+, but you can check this site out for some parent reviews!

I'd say Luigi's mansion 3 is a great game to play through together since the game is built around co op but can be played solo. I also didn't think it would be scary even for younger kids just due to it's goofy nature. Solid 9/10 co op game.

It's like Solaire but I'm a Bro

My son is 5 and loves the game but the puzzles can get pretty hard to complete but if you are playing Co-op it shouldn't be a problem. The games ghost aren't actually scary they are made to be super silly in my opinion anyways.

0 Likes

For family play and ~5-year-olds, try "Super Mario Odyssey," "Animal Crossing: New Horizons," or "Pokémon Let's Go." For solo/2-player fun, consider "Zelda: Breath of the Wild," "Stardew Valley," "Hades," or "Cuphead." These games offer diverse experiences for all ages. Enjoy your gaming adventure! And for Switch friends, connect via PM. Happy gaming! :video_game:

0 Likes

Any of the Mario, Zelda games. Only reason I own a switch is for Zelda. 

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes
jamesc359
Forerunner

For the family I strongly suggest Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Only one person can play at a time, but you share a village with your whole family and can trade items and etc. As such it really is a fantastic multiplayer game. It gets better if you have Nintendo Online, then it is simultaneous multiplayer.

For the adults I recommend Metroid Prime and a digital only title called Fast RMX , which is as close to an F-Zero clone as you can get. Obviously ALL the Zelda titles are a must. In particular though I really enjoyed The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening. It's a fantastic remaster of the old Game Boy game.

Not exclusive to the Switch, but Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps are a must play in my opinion.

Axxemann
Forerunner

You bought a console that's weaker than most smartphones on the market these days?

Sorry... I'm just sitting in the corner laughing my [REDACTED] off.

Performance over Pretty.
Key-J
Paragon

It is 100% a console for the family, and the portability and small controller size makes it great for my little ones!

----------

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm just busting your chops. My nephew has one and he got a new controller from me for Xmas. My sister got him a new gaming chair and he's using one of my mom & dad's old TVs as a plug-in monitor.

I'm laughing because one of the games he and I used to play together is ending their support for the Switch platform in the near future, citing craptastic hardware.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

hey @Axxemann don't laugh too hard, OK.😂  

We bought a WI console about 7-8 years ago.  

Mario Kart is hilarious and a family blast.  Extremely fun for all ages.

WI has some family type games and I don't know the names of them.  One fun family game is like a rodeo where you ride a cow through an obstacle course to collect points by running down scarecrows and the likes.  Another is the old classic Duck Shoot.

Wish I could be more help on those games

I'm sure you have already enjoyed several hours of Mario Kart though.

Enjoy @Key-J and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!😀

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

I'll laugh as hard as I want to, @Vynski!

My folks bought a Wii when my nephew was a wee youngin. I thrashed everyone at Duckhunt (I was a competitive shooter for years) and mom was the Tennis champ. The Driving games were a tossup. It ultimately went to my sister, and then got sold. 

Performance over Pretty.

I haven't played any of them for several years now.  That doesn't take away the point that they are great for family get togethers, especially Mario Kart.

Although connecting an X-Box to my computer is out of the question.  WHY?🤔

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

Mario Kart led to many a family fight. When my sister's BF would bring his Gamecube over and we'd play Super Smash Bros, it led to regular donnybrooks.

Performance over Pretty.
Brolaire
Adept I

Yoshi's crafted world

Captain toads treasure tracker

Mario maker 2 has a relatively kid friendly base game mode

I haven't played any of the Kirby games for switch but they've always been designed for kids to play through without much trouble

For more Adult focused games that kids could still watch but might struggle with I'd say Shovel knight

Pik men 3

Breath of the wild

Mario Odyssey

And if you're paying for NSO I will always recommend  *Earthbound* for it's weird sense of humor "Say 'Fuzzy Pickles'"

It's like Solaire but I'm a Bro
MrFunt
Adept I

Aside from the games that have already been mentioned, paying for Nintendo Online will give you access to a library of NES, SNES, and N64 games. A lot of the games are fairly family friendly. Lots of old Mario platformers and Zelda games and such.

Oh, yeah! This is a good suggestion, too. Totally forgot about Nintendo Online's bonus options.

I learnt this the hardway - they offer it to you in the e-shop and never mention anything about needing the online subscription until you launch it.

So one download and delete later, I am just left disappointed 😛

----------
0 Likes

Basically everything  I was gonna say has been mentioned already, but I wanna reiterate Breath of the Wild and maybe Kirby and the Forgotten Lands. Also, Pokemon Scarlet.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital
0 Likes
williamjohn22
Journeyman III

Congratulations on your new Nintendo Switch! It's a fantastic console with a wide range of games for various audiences. Here are some recommendations for family-friendly games and titles for solo/2-player experiences:

Family-Friendly Games (~5-year-olds):

1. Super Mario Odyssey: A delightful 3D platformer featuring everyone's favorite plumber, Mario. It's visually stunning and has a cooperative mode for helping younger players.

2. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: A multiplayer Mario adventure that supports up to four players. It's great for family play, and the addition of Bowser's Fury adds an extra layer of excitement.

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons: A charming life simulation game where you can create your own island paradise. It's relaxing, creative, and suitable for all ages.

4. Luigi's Mansion 3: A spooky but not scary game where Luigi must rescue his friends from a haunted hotel. The co-op mode allows for family play.

5. Yoshi's Crafted World: A cute and colorful platformer featuring Yoshi. It has a cooperative mode, making it a great choice for family gaming.

Solo/2-Player Games for Adults:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: An open-world action-adventure game that offers a vast and immersive experience. Even if you're not into Zelda, it's a must-play for Switch owners.

2. Splatoon 2: A unique and exciting multiplayer shooter with a vibrant, ink-based world. It offers both competitive and cooperative gameplay on My Boy! APK.

3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: While you've already got it, it's worth mentioning again. It's not just for family play; it's a blast for adults too, especially in multiplayer.

4. Stardew Valley: A farming simulation game that's surprisingly addictive. It's perfect for solo play, and there's also a cooperative multiplayer mode.

5. Hollow Knight: A beautifully crafted, challenging action-adventure game. It's a great choice for those who enjoy exploration and atmospheric storytelling.

Feel free to explore the Nintendo eShop for more game options, and don't forget about indie games, which often provide unique and enjoyable experiences. Enjoy your gaming adventures with your family!

0 Likes