Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

MADZyren
Paragon

Just one of the reasons I don't use Google Chrome

https://contrachrome.com/ cartoon about Chrome and privacy

Second one being that I find it's user interface worse than that of other browsers like Firefox.

7 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

I have been using Opera since 2002.  It is set as my default.  

In fact the only reason I have Chrome installed is it is required to use Google Earth. 

Another browser I use a lot is Tor.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Axxemann
Forerunner

I like Brave. Uses the same basic setup as Chrome, but with all the Google Spying junk removed.

Prior to that, I was a Firefox user.

Performance over Pretty.

I'll have to suggest this Brave to my wife, anything to get rid of Google, that's what she uses most.  I'm not sure if Opera is a derivative of Firefox or if it gets tagged as Firefox because it is also open source. I use the consumer version of Belarc Advisor which is free and it has no problem recognizing Opera.  You might like to download this Belarc Advisor and see how you like it.  It is a COMPLETE analysis of your computer, even down to the software you have installed.  I've used it since 1992 when I was the Principal and Network Admin of a school district where I had the full business version.  I would recommend it to everyone on the forum, it's free for consumer use.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
chadplusminus
Adept II

I use Firefox as my main browser. People mentioned Opera, but it was acquired by some shady Chinese company a few years ago and they have even worse privacy protection than Chrome. 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I have to use a wide variety. Opera is now Chinese owned although they claim the development happens in Norway, dont run anything sensitive there just in case. We can't use it at work, its completely blocked.

Chrome is a wildcard, sometimes we need to use it, most of the time we don't. 

Edge is Edge, I just wonder why some AZURE hosted applications like SnipeIT (and others) is a complete mess with Edge and not with Chrome...

Maybe use the Adrenalin internal browser?     : - ) 

The Englishman
0 Likes
Jonnyjen
Journeyman III

As a user who prefers Chrome as my primary browser, I have come across discussions regarding Opera. It has been mentioned that Opera was acquired by a Chinese company which raises concerns about its privacy protection. Chrome allows a better user experience while running different websites than Opera and Firefox. I have run several gaming sites on Chrome without any issues. Here is the URL, https://thestumbleguys.com/

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I use different browsers for different use cases. I used Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, Tor, Opera, Safari, Firefox, the old 64bit Firefox beta, and so many others.  

It boils down to what you need to get done. I don't really have a primary browser. This site specifically has issues on my phone if I don't use Chrome, so there is that, but I use Edge most of the time. 

I am aware of the arguements against Chrome, and Edge, and Opera, and nearly every other browser, that they harvest user data for malicious use. I just use what I feel like using for whatever I need to do.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB