cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Does anybody here collect stuff?

I am a collector of computer parts, generally, if I need a cooler bracket or a certain screw or hardware piece, I'll have something laying around, it just might not be the best. Also, it's handy for when you need to troubleshoot problems, I usually have spare parts to use to rule other parts out.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
17 Replies
neon
Miniboss

I collect AMD CPUs. Does that count?AMD_collection_200811_800.png

** If there is a CPU that you want to see, ASK ME. If I have it in my collection, then I will post a photo here.

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Thats quite impressive, how far back do they go?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'd say way back to the 486 clones.  Look at those tasty Slot-A Athlon's!  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Yep, there's a variety of stuff in there:

Am2802, Am27C EPROM, Am29000 RISC processor, 8080, 8088, 80186, 80286, Am386, Am486, Am5x86, K5, K6, K6-2, K6-III, slot A Athlon, Duron, Athlon (Thunderbird), Athlon XP, Athlon MP, Sempron, Mobile Athlon 4, Mobile Athlon XP-M, Athlon 64, Mobile Athlon 64

Got a Phenom II?

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I have at least one.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Yes. Here is a Phenom II X6 1090T.AMD Phenom II X6 1090T boxAMD Phenom II X6 1090T boxAMD Phenom II X6 1090T frontAMD Phenom II X6 1090T frontAMD Phenom II X6 1090T backAMD Phenom II X6 1090T back

Thanks. The oldest chip is Am2802, which is a Dynamic Shift Register from 1972. The oldest CPU is Am9080APC, which is an 8080 from late 1979. This photo is from 2008 - the collection has grown considerably since.

Awesome collection.

Different and neat. What compelled you to collect CPU's?

Like you, it started with extra CPUs that I wasn't using anymore. Later, when I went to research the parts online, I found other collectors, which allowed me to start trading parts. Thus, my collection is a combination of parts leftover from upgrades, stuff I traded for, and some cool parts that I decided to buy. I chose to focus on AMD because I've had several positive interactions with AMD over the years, online, at trade shows, and at gaming events (mostly QuakeCon).

DtDrag
Adept II

I never set out to have a collection, but I suppose I do. I always keep all the extra parts in case I need them in the future.

Axxemann
Forerunner

Oddly enough, I collect scars. Physical, mental and emotional. 🤣

Performance over Pretty.

I do the same. I also collect computer problems, without trying. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

Yep!

Performance over Pretty.
cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

I have an old HD 5870 and I used to collect random computer stuff like old iomega drives. I also collect Tech Demos and am looking for some of the AMD ones, if you have them I would love to have a copy. (Perhaps the RDNA demos?)

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

I collect dust. /s

Jokes aside, I used to collect a few funkos and figurines, and now I just try to collect more cultural figurines from places I go. E.g. a small chubby dragon figurine from Taiwan. Might have to remind me to take a picture later.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital