cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Any Anime/Manga fans?

About 3 years ago I clicked on some Anime shorts on YouTube, since I personally enjoy watching any type of Animation except those made for young children, I have become a huge fan of Anime and Online Manga.

One Piece is one of the most watched Anime series with about 1100 episodes.  Since then I have started watching many other Anime series and sometimes read the Manga of those Anime series to find out more about the story.

Many anime are quite funny to watch.

But most are very formulaic in nature. in another words they follow many common plots from other anime but in different situations.

I also learn a lot about both the Japanese, Korean, & Chinese cultures watching Anime and learn many Japanese/Chinese/Korean terms for many types of characters, rituals & Ceremonies, holidays, and personal Japanese, Chinese, and Korean interpersonal behaviors.

Even though I am in my late 60's I still have the same strong imagination and fantasies that I had as a child growing up watching Saturday morning cartoons and watching and reading Sci Fi/Fantasy movies and books. Anime involves everything from Sci-Fi to Romance to Superhero type shows which I enjoy watching.

Though some anime can be rather uncomfortable to watch or not suitable for children due to gore, violence, and sexual innuendos.

Some might find it childish to watch anime but then you would have to call a large majority of Japanese childish. Because in Japan and Asia in general, Anime Movies from Anime  Series are shown in Japanese Movie Theaters and Manga are in the best selling categories to read.

Anyway just curious if anyone is interested or a fan of Asian Anime or Manga stories.

4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Not the greatest of fans, but I do watch and enjoy some, because I actually love Japanese culture.

There is a considerável library in Netflix and still growing, you have an anime for everyone's taste there but its still hard for me to hooked.

Those who caught my attention are normally related to a game or movie like:

Cyberpunk edgerunners and Nier Automata. Then you have some cult must see like Evangelion. Tried JoJo bizzare but didn't like it. Watched Parasyte and was trying to see One Piece live series.

One more thing, I really enjoy going to Cosplay events, its amazing to see people really living the anime culture.

BTW I'm gathering some courage to do a Cosplay of 9S in next Comic Con

The Englishman
lowteck
Miniboss

NO.

that is for kids...

death the kid NO.gif

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...

Then a large majority of Asians would tend to disagree with you.

Many Anime series involves many interpersonal relationships from Romance to Revenge to adult themes.

Yes it is animation and most involves teenagers but that doesn't take away the Psychological and emotional and physical aspects of the plot.

Like Family Guy, The Simpsons, American Dad, etc all are animation series but many episodes involves adult themes that only adults watching will recognize rather than the teenagers or children.

But everyone has their own tastes. I was just asking because I have been reading about how immensely popular anime is becoming in the USA.

Netflix is one of the biggest Cable media that constantly shows anime. If those were unpopular I doubt they would be airing any anime at all.

I have a Death the Kid beanie...

So... I know about anime and have been since the '80s (Akira)

Cheers,

low

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...