cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Sky119_
Adept I

AM5 lifetime

hello, thanks if you came across this, does anyone know if am5 will last as long as am4 did? thanks.

4 Replies

That is a question that is determined, in my opinion, on the advances  of technologies for processors and motherboards. AM5 might last for as long as AM4 but maybe a processor is engineered that requires a newer technology that AM5 won't be able to handle so AMD will come out with a new AM6 socket. As an example.

Or AMD comes out with a new processor with a different amount of pins that is not compatible with AM5 so AMD comes out with a new motherboard socket to support the new processor.

So that is a question that really can't be answered except by AMD themselves. Possibly they have a time frame for how long a certain socket will be supported.  In that case, AMD would never publicize that type of sensitive information to the public until they are going to change the socket again.

Check out Jayztwocents video he posted yesterday I believe, it shared a Q&A with an AMD developer. IIRC as of now they're not saying with any certainty how long it will be mainstream. But they did say that AM4 is not a dead socket yet. Also stated that AM5 will be exclusively DDR5. But check it out was filled with good information. 

MSi B550 Gaming Plus, AMD 5950X XfX 6700XT Qick 319
32GB PNY XL8R 3200MHz 4x8Gb CL16, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

I'm hopeful, but I don't think we'll ever see the level of longevity that the AM4 socket has again. AM4 is truly a sight to behold, but AMD might surprise me and I won't be mad at all, lol.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
tstec
Adept III

I hope so