cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Discussions

tomhome1138
Adept I

Batch render only uses CPU

Trying to do a simple turn around and I'm finding that batch rendering doesn't use the GPU at all. I'm not rendering on a different machine, its all just batch rendering from my local machine so its not the issue about different GPU set ups in different machines. Also, I saw on here that when someone did a batch render it would start a program called firerender. I do not see that starting up on in my task manager. Should I be repathing the default render path to a radeon fire path for the batch render?

7 Replies
david_s
Miniboss

Hi Tom,

Could you provide some information that might help me reproduce this issue?
1. What OS do you have?
2. What is your system hardware, mainly CPU and GPU?

0 Likes

Sorry, I have windows 10, core i9-9900, 64gb ram, rtx 2070

0 Likes

Hi Tom,

Are you using Windows task manager to see the usage? When comparing this with MSI Afterburner it seems something could be wrong with Windows not showing the correct performance.

Screenshot_172.png

0 Likes

I can confirm, I have same problem. Have to use sequence render to use GPU. Batch render use only CPU.

0 Likes

I have been only looking at the task manager in Windows, but you can tell just by the speed. As shrisha mentioned, utilizing the render sequence command leverages the GPU, but the funny thing about that is that when rendering a PNG sequence with transparency (alpha), the color is upside down and the transparency is right side up. So what I had to do to work around that is take the opacity output and shuffle it back into the color pass after I flipped the color pass. really strange things going on here... 

0 Likes

Hi,

About the performance issue ill investigate this more in depth today.

Question though regarding the image being upside down. By any chance is denoiser enabled when u render this? If it was this was known and should have a fix coming soon.

0 Likes

Hi,

I sent this information to developers. I do see something seems to be going here when comparing the render times between GPU and CPU vs GPU and CPU in the production render.

0 Likes