cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Rate Targeting Control

fury-radeon-frtc.png

Frame Rate Targeting Control is a feature that enables users the ability to set a maximum target frame rate when playing an application in fullscreen exclusive mode. The benefits that this may allow a user to experience are reduced GPU power consumption (great for games running at frame rates much higher than the display refresh rate) and reduce heat generation and as a result of that, lower fan speed/noise on the graphics card.

Frame rate targeting control caps performance not only in 3D rendered in-game scenes, but also in splash screens, loading screens and menus, where framerates often run needlessly into the hundreds of fps.

Users might wish to set a very high cap just to limit wasteful fps like that seen in menus and such, while still taking advantage of the responsiveness given by fps well beyond 60.

Frame Rate Targeting Control is especially useful when rendering relatively ‘easy’ content on powerful hardware, e.g. when you've got a relatively low resolution monitor connected to a higher end graphics board, or when playing an older title, or a game with a relatively lightweight graphics load. Limiting the framerate not only saves power, but also heat and noise, keeping your GPU cool and quiet.

AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X: Sniper Elite 3 1440p resolution, Ultra preset

Framerate Target

Average FPS achieved in Campaign Intro

Total System Power Draw during Campaign Intro

Average FPS during gameplay

Total System Power Draw during gameplay

Unconstrained/disabled

310 fps

355-390W

105 fps

344W

80 fps

78 fps

167W

79 fps

283W

60 fps

59 fps

151W

59 fps

242W

For the data above, the resolution and presets were selected, nothing else was changed from the default values of the game for the test hardware.

How to Enable Frame Rate Targeting Control

• Right click on the desktop and select AMD Radeon™ Settings

5.png

• Navigate to the Gaming tab

1.png

• Click Global Settings

11.png

Note! You can use game profiles to set individual Frame Rate Control Settings on a per game basis

• Set your desired Frame Rate Control Settings

12.png

Note: Changes to the Frame Rate Targeting Control must be done outside of the game, i.e. exit the game completely, make your changes, and then start the game again. The current implementation of Frame Rate Targeting Control works only with DirectX9, 10 and 11 titles, and offers targets in the range of 30 to 200 fps.

AMD Product Compatibility

AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury SeriesAMD Radeon™ R9 280 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 390 SeriesAMD Radeon™ R9 270 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 380 SeriesAMD Radeon™ R7 260 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 370 SeriesAMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 360 SeriesAMD Radeon™ HD 7800 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2​​AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Series

Labels (1)
Comments

Matt's on a roll today !

Did you just mark your own comment as helpful?

No? Why do you ask ?

FRTC is a good idea and helpful, but doesn't seem to be functioning everywhere, or at least not all the time. I'm having 200-300 fps in Team Fortress 2, and hundreds to thousands in-game main menus. Being in the menu of Space Hulk Ascension, for instance, makes my card going up to 80 degrees (hardly seen those temps while playing) and after enabling v-sync I hear how the fans stop spinning since the card doesn't load too hard.

Why is the maximum frame rate 95 and not 120 or 144?

I hope you guys update this to 144 for people with 144Hz AMD Freesync monitors

It only works in games with DirectX 10 or higher.

uhm...saw the official note above?

Note: Changes to the Frame Rate Targeting Control must be done outside of the game, i.e. exit the game completely, make your changes, and then start the game again. The current implementation of Frame Rate Targeting Control works only with DirectX9, 10 and 11 titles, and offers targets in the range of 30 to 200 fps.

AMD HD8970m, crimson, asus monitor 21:9/2560x1080

Still no VSR support

BUT...

FRTC support for the first time, which is great

BUT...

it does not work in any of my "steam"-games (DX9/10/11). Of course I enabled it and I tried all the vsync settings, even set min 30 fps, but it did not matter.

FRTC works with global settings, but it does NOT work when enabled within game specific settings.

Any ideas?

Play games in fullscreen instead of windowed fullscreen and it will work.

Would you mind adding support for games running in windowed fullscreen mode?

Path of Exile for example only works in fullscreen.

Something I've noticed, when FTC is set to 30FPS, does it kick in a frame doubler? Playing a game at 30FPS using FTC and using the game's setting to limit it to 30, doing it via FTC makes it look very smooth compared to using the game's settings.

Since the update to Crimson (the first one, and the fan control fix), VSync "always on" does not work at all in any game. FRTC does not work in any game. Shadow of Mordor, Half-Life 2, Bioshock Infinite, Rainbow Six Siege open beta. There were no VSync problems with any pre-Crimson driver (Catalyst).

Don't deny the issue - just fix it!

So far I have found that the frame rate targetting, along with the o/c control and also the auto eyefinity settings do not work. I have tried with Project Cars and ARMA 3 and none of the settings seem to work with either game. (These are the only two games that I really play)

I have tried launching the game through the Crimson software and using the steam links.

I have tried running the game in single and triple screen.

I have performed a clean install of the latest Crimson drivers and settings panel after removing the previous install of Crimson using the latest DDU tool.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to correct this?

Ignore all of the above. If you set the o/c and frame rate target in the global settings then they will work. Just not if you only set them in the game specific settings. Can I ask what the point of the game specific settings are in this case???

It still will not auto set eyefinity though.

Thousand times regretted that bought your videocard.Befor was Nvideo just download the driver forgot to 7 you is no accident: constant updates drivers.AMD Gamin Eveloved bought a new video card, and writes "avto driver update is not supported for your card." Update the driver, more stick some update.Off computer, says "Do not turn off until you download the update" .Month I turned off without waiting. As a result, it waits until the set "is a miracle update" And ... I have to put Windows (R) !!!!!!! and general computer died! Somehow repaired, re-install Windows 7.Today play Dota.V top of the screen appeared to me quite unnecessary "CTL + F2" to record moments-IMBECILES!!!

Great feature indeed, with new driver gets even better with dx9 support, so far i have tested resident evil 6, euro truck simulator 2, nice and quiet.

FRTC is a great feature and value add for team red.

My suggestion for future improvement of the FRTC feature would be to add the functionality to Borderless Windowed or Windowed mode. As more people use dual or triple screens (myself included) it's a lot more convenient to run the game in borderless windowed mode. 3rd party applications like RivaTuner Statistics Server already have this ability so I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to implement into a future driver or Radeon Software edition.

mattyd7829 wrote:

Ignore all of the above. If you set the o/c and frame rate target in the global settings then they will work. Just not if you only set them in the game specific settings. Can I ask what the point of the game specific settings are in this case???

It still will not auto set eyefinity though.

I tried that but it would keep resetting FRTC to 55fps even though I select 144hz. IT happened on both versions of Crimson for me. Weird thing though, it had no affect on War thunder when using Crimson and my FPS would go over 144, but IL-2 BOS would keep locking it to 55fps, even though I selected 144hz but when checking after woods it would be at 55fps which forced me to disable it.

Selecting the RFTC in global set it to the same mount for each game anyway, I did try turning the game ones off, that's when I noticed it kept resetting to 55fps.

FRTC does work with War Thunder on Catalyst 15.11.1 just not both Crimson versions 15.11 and 15.11.1 beta.

I filled out the report about the issue when the bata came out, I didn't try any other games though.

Does FRTC induce any form of input lag at all? By my thinking, it shouldn't, but I am not familiar with what it does in the background exactly. I would like to use it if someone(who really knows how it works) could assure me that it doesn't induce input lag.

Hey guys I've updated to the latest 15.12 Driver but the FRTC still isn't working for me ( Didn't work since 15.11 > 15.11.1 BETA )
Is anyone else having this same problem ?

Same here for War Thunder on 15.12. I only set it in global but it still shows it on all profiles. It did nothing and is a DX9 game. I'll try a DX11 a game tomorrow.

FRTC......Still doesn't work on DX9 for me on 15.12...getting 299FPS.  GPU-Z STILL showing 15.8 even though Crimson shows 15.12.

Im bit confused, so is it working for you or it isn't ?
I only tried on KF2 though, it's not working....

In BF4 my FPS did  go over the 144 a few times so I don't think it worked, though it didn't go over much but if it worked it would never go over.

It doesn't seem to be working for me.

it's definitely not working for me on 15.12, tried BF4 again and by FPS was averaging over 144 on the test range.

It seems to be working now, but it's different than other limiters where it can go over by a few FPS sometimes. I tried BF4 in the test field and looked straight up and my FPS sat at 144 and sometimes hit 146 so it's definitely working. I thought I'd try it again as yesterday playing War Thunder it was sitting on 142 the whole time.

Maybe it's just the Freesync that can make it go over as it seems to work like Vsync and not just totally limit it as Vsync would sometimes just go over ever so slightly.

It seems to be working now, I don't know if they updated it but my FPS no longer goes very high in War Thunder and sat at 142 and BF4 144 with a few times just over.

I do not work when you fit the frames individually for each game. It only worked whenit suited it from Global Settings

Ha!  Thanks...had forgotten there were global settings!

Just tested it on my new Fury X, worked perfectly, my FPS was sitting on 143 on war thunder

I got screentearing if i use 60 FPS target and lag input, this is not cool.

Default profiles do not work. Remove the profile and add manually

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎08-21-2015 09:01 AM
Updated by:

Contributors