Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

krwawisz
Journeyman III

RX 6800 XT huge GPU usage and FPS drops problem

Hi Guys

I am having a problem with my new RX 6800XT card (at least i think it might be the card because before everything was ok with GTX 1080). In general after an hour or so of gaming in games (Valhalla, Rage 2) that push the card the hardest (2300Mhz and over) suddenly out of nowhere GPU usage drops down to actually zero, as well as FPS of course and it goes up and down like this forever. When I turn off the game, it goes down to zero and trying another game (even less demanding) gives the same results - unplayable. To make it work again i need to restart the computer. In general it doesn't happen in tests like OCCT or 3D Mark or less demanding games (but I guess it might have something to do with the clocks which basically never go over 2200Mhz in those tests) or at least I haven't noticed anything like that after an hour OCCT test or two hours playing Spellforce 3 for example. I am attaching pictures of HWMonitor and Radeon Soft made when it happens. All my drivers are up to date. I am also not using any OC (just XMP profiles for RAM) - checked the memory - no problems. 

My computer: 

Ryzen 7 3700x

B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

16GB RAM PATRIOT VIPER 3600mhz

PSU SilentiumPC 750w

Any ideas????? 

problems-RX6800xt

24 Replies
Dan1
Adept I

Re: RX 6800 XT huge GPU usage and FPS drops problem

Have my 6800xt too, has problems with dota 2, seems like its just dont work fine. We need to w8 when they get all drivers done, coz (for example) in RDR2 all is ok)

pokester
MVP

Make sure you are reporting it to AMD. There is a Bug Report in Radeon Settings.

You can notify AMD support here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Hernfernrj
Adept I

I have the same exact problem but I have a non XT almost same build. I talked to AMD yesterday and they sent me an email to try and troubleshoot (which I explained I already had done all possible) I did it and nothing I had to reply back with my results as well as a report they asked me to send and according to them they’ll get back with me and try some more troubleshoot as well as some benchmarks. I have problems is when running COD I get super low fps and my usage like yours goes from 80% to 3% and so forth. If they’re troubleshoot doesn’t work we would get a replacement card from them.

gahgetgumdaoyna
Journeyman III

unlock fps on the game and it will fix the problem ıf gpu can reach %100 load. But ı want to use freesync and fps limit. why ı have to struggle these kind of things?

gahgetgumdaoyna
Journeyman III

Propably GPU can not adjust clocks well on the gaRe: RX 6800 XT huge GPU usage and FPS drops problem

Propably GPU can not adjust clocks well on the game. I mean gpu frequencys are not on maximum values like nvidia performance mode. I returned 5700xt for the same problem. when you play easy games like dota or counter strike which are  do not push gpu limits. On the more demanded scenes it try to adjust frequencys BUT it can not do it. You can not make the frequencys highest point like nvidia maximum performance option on the geforce driver. I tried everything but when you limit the FPS on the game gpu was started shuttering unexpectedly. I WANTED to make it push max but ı could not.  If gpu always working %90-100 load on the game ı mean ı have 144hz monitor and game can reach 80fps or something(unable to reach 144hz) there was no problem. The problem on easy game which gpu uses energy saver mode on gpu clocks.( idiotic) I have doubts about 6800xt, it seems it has same problem with drivers again. I am not going to buy this GPU until amd fix this silly driver issues.

Dan1
Adept I

Re: Propably GPU can not adjust clocks well on the gaRe: RX 6800 XT huge GPU usage and FPS drops pro

im was just install my minimum clock on 2000 mHz for dota 2 and problem looks like solvedScreenshot_14.png

Roberto62
Adept I

Hi,

I have the same problem with my 6800xt. and a friend of mine who bought the same card has the same problem. That's a serious problem, that's not just 1 isolated problem....

Did you guys found a solution ? Or a tip to reduce this problem ?

Mottbox
Adept I

I have the same problem in many games. GPU clock goes up and down and never holds maxed out. 

CharlieB90
Journeyman III

i have this issue also my gpu clock speeds are all over the place i have a XFX MERC 319 6800XT. is my card broken or will a driver update in the future fix this?

0 Likes