cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Minecraft is not using my AMD Graphics card instead using my Integrated graphics card

Jump to solution

Hello everyone. 

I've noticed that I've been getting terrible performance on Minecraft and have narrowed it down to the fact that Minecraft is not able to switch from the Integrated graphics card to usisng my AMD Radeon Graphics card. I will leave my specs and software versions at the bottom of the page if you want to skip to that.

I've tried many other 'solutions' in other threads on multiple forums but unfortunately they all lie with the same problem that they're either too old to be compatible with the current version of Radeon Settings or don't actually answer the issue. (upgrading my drivers or disabling integrated graphics. I have updated my drivers and I'm not going to disable my integrated graphics because they're used for other software that are always open.) 

Do notice that the Minecraft launcher is different from the actual minecraft game. The Minecraft launcher has been detected by the graphics card and I believe it's powering it but the actual game is powered by the integrated graphics card. The Minecraft game is a java environment which when I added it to the Radeon Settings showed me that it was another game called Jedi Academy or something along those lines. Even when Minecraft is running, the graphics card it uses is still the integrated one after adding the Javaw.exe environment to the Radeon settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes of their own? Thanks in advance. 

- Note that I have a Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop. 

Specs:
 Graphics Chipset
AMD Radeon R7 M440

CPU Type
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz

System Memory
16 GB

Radeon Software Version

Radeon Software Edition
Adrenalin 2019

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Minecraft is not using my AMD Graphics card instead using my Integrated graphics card

Jump to solution

Exactly the same issue. Previously I could enter radeon additional settings and force java run with AMD card, but now with the new driver this feature no longer exist.

Edit: I fixed the problem. Try to find your java.exe and set it to high performance mode. See here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017#SGApplication

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Minecraft is not using my AMD Graphics card instead using my Integrated graphics card

Jump to solution

Exactly the same issue. Previously I could enter radeon additional settings and force java run with AMD card, but now with the new driver this feature no longer exist.

Edit: I fixed the problem. Try to find your java.exe and set it to high performance mode. See here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017#SGApplication

View solution in original post

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thank you so much! It worked! 

For anyone who may stumble upon this thread with the same problem: This is what you do 

Go to your Switchable Graphic then click on 'Running applications' and switch over to 'Installed Profile Applications'. Then click on add application then browse. 

Minecraft > Install > runtime > jre-x64 > bin > javaw.exe 

Click on javaw.exe and you'll add it to your switchable graphics section. That's all! Just make sure it's on high performance and you're set. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Im having the same problem.  I tried going into Windows 10 Systems Display Graphic Display

and set minecraftlauncher to high performance (radeon rx560)

then i went into catalyst and set minecraftlauncher to gaming mode.  Since they removed the

function of switchable graphcs.

Result:= 1 fps  (F3 shows its using Vega 8 integrated)

Then I went back into Windows 10 systems graphic display and set

jawa.exe which is the java platform running  and set that to high performance (radeon rx560)

Then went back into catalyst and set jawa.exe to gaming performance mode.

Result= 1 fps (F3 shows its using Vega 8 integrated)

? What do I do now?

Thanksl

P.S.

I got it to work !

--I uninstalled Minecraft completely using Revo.

--Then reinstalled it.

made sure java and javaw  were set on high performance in windows 10, settings graphic settings.

ran minecraft.

Now fps is from 45 to 55 which is better than 1 to 25 fps.

Odd tho F3 shows its using integrated card? but it can't be since frame frate is much higher?

Still 45 fps seems a bit low for Radeon Rx560?

Oh well its better.

P.S.S

Wups maybe I spoke too soon.

for some unknown reason frame rate dropped back to 1 to 2 fps while playing, lasted

for about 7 min, so i logged out.  Not sure why it seemed to go back to slow frame rate?

Anyways, Ill keep trying to fix this.

Jump to solution

I saw the release notes for 20.3.1 but there is no mention of fixing the Minecraft java

problem? and it recognizing dedicated gpu?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

This has become a problem for me recently, I bought an Acer Nitro 5 with a 560x which does really well in most games, but since the 2020 drivers I can’t set Minecraft/java to high performance.  I just tried the most recent 20.4.1 and now I’m reinstalling 19.12.1 where I can still set javaw to high performance and Minecraft works fine.  Anyone else dealing with this?

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

It would be of great help if you could tell me what fps you get in Minecraft. I am currently getting ~35 and have the same setup as yours. A few days ago it was hitting ~ 55 fps and now it doesn't. 

Could you help me with it please?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Starting Windows 10 17093 the switchable graphics are not controlled in the Radeon Settings as AMD dropped support because it is now controlled by the Operating System.

This page will show you what to do:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103965-set-preferred-gpu-apps-windows-10-a.html

Good Luck!

0 Kudos