cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

I'm confused: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U APU “Renoir Refresh” With 8 Cores & 16 Threads Spotted With Zen 2 & Vega GPU Cores

So if you have heard in the past couple weeks that the Zen3 both desktop and APUs will all be 5xxx to eliminate the confusion of APUs being a year behind and a series ahead based on their real cpu architecture then you likely can understand why this move to me is confusing. Wasn't the whole point to remove the confusion?

So apparently we have odd numbered and no idea if all will be odd numbered but so far it is this way. The odd numbered APU's so far are Zen2 and Vega and the even numbers are Zen3 with RDNA2. 

To make a bit more confusing it isn't even that all the lower numbers are the older and the higher the newer they are staggered.

I just found it odd as they are skipping a whole series to avoid the confusion they just reintroduced. 

WCCFTECH has the story: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700U APU 8 Core & 16 Thread Next-Gen APU Leaks Out 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700U APU “Renoir Refresh” With 8 Cores & 16 Threads Spotted With Zen 2 & Vega GPU Cores

1 day ago

AMD's mobility processors have experienced an incredible surge in demand with Renoir.

AMD's first Ryzen 5000 series APU which will be part of the upcoming Renoir Refresh family has leaked out by TUM_APISAK. The APU was spotted within the Ashes of The Singularity benchmark where it was tested on the 1080p Low preset.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700U "Renoir Refresh / Lucienne" APU Spotted - Features 8 Cores, 16 Threads Based on Zen 2 Architecture

The AMD Ryzen 7 5700U seems to be an early engineering sample with no proper test drivers yet. The most interesting thing about the CPU is its specifications which include 8 cores and 16 threads.

AMD’s Next-Gen Rembrandt Ryzen APUs To Feature Enhanced Zen 3 CPU & RDNA 2 GPU Cores on 6nm Process ...

AMD Ryzen 5000, Ryzen 7 5700U APU

This is also the first time an AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPU/APU has shown up in a public benchmark database with its full naming scheme rather than just the codename. The Ryzen 7 5700U APU also packs the Radeon Vega graphics in a slightly enhanced variation. The APU was tested with 16 GB of DDR4 memory but aside from the specs, there's nothing much interesting to talk about.

The APU scored 1600 points in the benchmark which is a 33.3% performance improvement over the Ryzen 7 4800U which is quite impressive as this chip is just a refresh of the Renoir lineup and we can expect even higher performance from the Ryzen 7 5800U which would be based on the Cezanne design.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Performance Benchmark

According to Twitter user, MebiuW, it is reported that the Ryzen 5000 series APUs will come in two flavors, one will be featured under the Cezanne chip design and the other under the Lucienne chip design. The AMD Ryzen 5000 series under the Lucienne family will be branded as the AMD Ryzen 5 5500U and Ryzen 7 5700U APUs while the Cezanne family will feature the Ryzen 5 5600U and Ryzen 7 5800U APUs.

AMD Navi 22 “Navy Flounder” RDNA 2 GPU With 40 CUs, 2560 Cores & 192-bit Memory Bus Spotted, Could B...

There's going to be a big difference in performance in both lines of chips as one will feature AMD's Zen 2 core architecture and the other would feature the brand new Zen 3 cores. This would also suggest that Lucienne based notebooks and laptops will feature slightly more optimized pricing compared to Cezanne chips. We have already seen AMD's Lucienne engineering samples leak out with their full OPN. The chip that was spotted by Igor's Lab also featured 8 cores, 16 threads, and early clock speeds of up to 3.9 GHz.

According to Igor, the Lucienne based Ryzen 5000U series parts will be aimed at Google Chromebooks but that remains to be seen since Ryzen 7 5700U and Ryzen 5 5500U are quite high-end chips even for those platforms.

0 Likes
3 Replies

I had read too that the Lucienne chips would be exclusive to Chromebooks, so there would be none of that confusion. Also if you remember, Google and Parrells bringing local virtualization support of Windows apps to Chromebooks‌, so they are going to need higher end chips if they are to start running more demanding Windows apps.

I just don't get with the only thing being in the 4xxx series is some APU's why would you just not put and of the Zen2 and Vega chips in the 4xxx series. Regardless of where they will be used. It hurts my brain thinking about it. 

0 Likes

Or at least name them something special to denote their Chrome target, like the "Microsoft Surface Edition"...