Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DarthLunga
Adept I

Consistent Driver Time outs AMD GPU

Hello,

So I have been having a problem for months not that has been vexing me to no end. There is no consistent thing that causes it. I could literally just have a chrome browser open playing a youtube video and it will happen.

This is message:

Screenshot 2021-08-14 195135.png

I was running an XFX Radeon 580. I googled it and did everything suggested. I uninstalled the Radeon software with DDU and reinstalled fresh. (done this dozens of times now). I installed the Radeon software to current, I've also tried rolling it back to 20.3. I have made sure Windows is fully updated. I created a whole new Windows profile. None of this worked. Finally, I spent the money yesterday and bought a new Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700XT. FRESH brand new not used or refurbished. 

Everything was working fine, then I tried playing Horizon Zero Dawn. After 5 minutes the game froze and I got the same message. I have filled out the error reporting like it suggests and submitted it multiple times over the past 2 months and have not gotten an email or heard anything. Now after $1000 on a new GPU I am still having this issue. Short of completely wiping my system and doing a fresh install of Windows (so not doing that unless it is CERTAIN to be the problem) I am at a complete loss. If anyone can help or figure out these logs it will be greatly appreciated. Below are all the specs. I have the latest bug report from last night's timeout in a zip file but have no idea which files to post in here from that report.

Screenshot 2021-08-14 195840.png

Screenshot 2021-08-14 195908.png

Screenshot 2021-08-14 200043.png

8 Replies
DarthLunga
Adept I

Update 8/16:

I updated my Asrock BIOS to the newest stable version. I found another thread that discussed enabling Above 4G Decoding in the bios and I did so. I also rolled back the AMD drivers to 21.3 as a factory reset for my 6700 XT. 

After doing this I was able to play Horizon Zero Dawn for over an hour with no problem. (LIVE UPDATE while typing. I alt-tabbed out of the game to make this post and it crashed with a driver time out -.-)

I tested streaming it to Twitch with OBS and it would immediately crash and time out seconds after I hit start streaming. OBS streaming on its own, STABLE. Playing the game on its own, stable. (except for the noted live update where it crash after 2 hours of playing due to alt-tabbing out to make this post).

After this I also ran Windows System File Checker and it pulled back some Windows errors that it said it corrected. Tried streaming again and, yup crash. 

I really could use some guidance on this from AMD. I have read so many articles now all over the internet and various forums with people having the same issue that all started after the new Windows Updates around May. Somewhere, Windows and AMD are not playing nice and neither side seems to care or work to resolve this. 

HELP

0 Likes

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issue with my RX 570.
I had no issue for months, but since last week my games crash after a few minutes.

This issue just never gets patched. I had it a year ago, and it keeps coming back.
Now I guess I'll wait and buy a NVidia GPU

0 Likes
eoincleary15
Journeyman III

Have had same issue on my XFX RX580. Games will seemingly randomly crash and I have to force restart to get back. Have reinstalled the Radeon software countless times at this stage. Tried everything and anything the internet offers in terms of solutions but really now I'm just waiting to buy NVIDIA..

0 Likes

I have tried to rollback my drivers and to enable the BIOS option "ioapic 24-119 entries" also called "Above 4G memory/Crypto Currency mining".
So far, no driver issue, I'll try it longer

0 Likes

I also did the same, enabling the Above 4G. I've managed to stop the timeouts from happening frequently. It only happens when gaming now. I capped my FPS on games to 75 and that has for the most part stopped it.

However I do still get the random time out after 2-3 hours of playing. While this is a vast improvement from what was happening, it shouldn't be happening at all, worrying that at any random moment a time out can kill my progress in a game or kill my livestream. 

0 Likes

When you are playing, are you on a single screen? Or maybe on a dual screen with a video playing?

0 Likes

My modifications did not improve the situation.
NVidia it is then

0 Likes
DarthLunga
Adept I

UPDATE:

So my problem seems to have been corrected and as I am noticing, a fix does not work for everyone as there seems to be a multitude of factors causing this.

The first thing I did was upgrade my PSU from a 600W with a daisy-chained PCIe cable to a 750W modular with separate cables for PCIe. That alone didn't stop it though but it helped.

What stopped the time out in its tracks was something I found in event viewer. I noticed before each driver crash something happened 1 second before. My Logitech Options crashed. 

For those unfamiliar, I have a wireless Logitech mouse and the companion software for advanced settings is a program called Logitech Options. I uninstalled it and have had no driver crashes for the past 4 days straight. This includes just watching videos, gaming, gaming AND streaming it with OBS.

The only issue I've had is the standard game crash which happens with all games and I had one OBS crash which also happens, however, none of those came along with a driver crash which caused everything to shut down and forcing a reset if you want to continue streaming.

If anyone having this issue has a Logitech mouse and is running Logitech Options, I would suggest trying this and uninstalling Logitech Options. See if it works for you.

0 Likes