cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

6950xt Stuttering in games

Hello again...

Sorry for making another post but I'm starting to get really desperate. Figure, if I can't find a solution by the end of the week I'll just RMA the card...

So I'm still having stutter problems. Same as last time, some things I have noticed:

• Stuttering is definitely worse when a game loads (new areas, or when the game starts up)
  • Checking AMD Adrenaline there are usually massive dips in Utilization, clock speed, and power consumption when these spikes occur
  • Pic 1 with spikesPic 1 with spikesPic 2 with spikesPic 2 with spikes

As you can see there are massive spikes once the game stutters. Excluding those spikes my games run very smooth. I have tried:

• Setting minimum frequency to be 100MHz below max (this seems to just be ignored entirely tbh)
  • Tried "rage", "default", and "balanced" tuning presets

Some of the games I have tried:

• 3D-Mark: About average scores. Don't notice any stuttering.
  • Cyberpunk2077: I haven't noticed any stuttering in this game...
  • Borderlands 3 (dx12): Stutter is worse on boot-up, with occasional spikes (pictures are from Bl3 gameplay)
  • Borderlands 3 (dx11): Same as dx12 but worse overall
  • Payday 2: Lots of stuttering, much more frequent then BL3 despite being almost 10 years old
  • PUBG: Occasional stuttering, kind of runs like crap once a game starts
  • CSGO: No stuttering, except for some slight hiccups once a map is first loaded (kind of low avg fps when compared to numbers I've seen online. ~350)
  • Bioshock Infinite: Didn't notice any stuttering, but I didn't play a lot.
  • Fallout 4 (modded): Seems fine, didn't notice too much stutter.
  • Risk of Rain 2: Slight stuttering

so in conclusion:

• Stutter is worse when a game starts up
  • Stutter is infrequent but when it happens the game image basically freezes for a few seconds
  • Stutter only happens when large spike drops in wattage and frequency.

My apologies again for posting this type of topic again... Trust me, I really wish I didn't have to. I'm really all out of ideas on what to do or how to fix this. If anyone has ideas feel free to comment them. Even if I've already done it before I might as well give it another go at this point.

Specs:

• GPU: 6950xt (Stock)

• CPU: i9-9900k

• RAM: Trident Z Neo Series 32GB DDR4 3600MHz

• Storage: WD Black SN850 2TB NVMe.

• Mother Board: Asus PRIME z390a

• Power Supply: Corsair RM1000

Thanks in Advance!

EDIT:

So it seems that the stutters are mostly fixed I followed Justifier's and RomatebitegeL's suggestions and it seems to have fixed it. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what step fixed it but something did the trick. I still get some stuttering but it is very infrequent and rare only happening once every 10-20 minutes or so. Very Very Very manageable. Thanks everyone for all the help!

3 Solutions
Justifier
Challenger

Some things to try, in order of ease of doing them:

1: Turn off all monitor sync options

• There are a ton of these littered about your computer:
    • Windows key > type: " Graphics Settings " , under "Default Settings there's some text called "Change Default Graphics Settings", Uncheck "Variable Refresh Rate"
    • Turn off the sync options in your monitor settings
    • Turn off the sync options in Radeon Software
    • Turn off the sync options in Game
  • Restart PC, see if issue persists

If that doesn't work, next try

2: MSI Afterburner (if you don't already have it, download it)

• Open it up, click on the "Settings / Gear" icon
    • Under "AMD Compatibility Properties" checkmark "Disable ULPS" then apply

3: Close/exit all unnecessary software, disable all unnecessary settings, unplug all unnecessary hardware

*You do all of these at once, but if you are willing to take the time, doing them 1-1 might solve your problem without going through the entire list of 3.

• Press " CTRL + Shift + ESC " > Click the " Startup " tab > Disable literally everything here, except for Windows Security Notification and any Sound driver you have -- should be something like "Realtek HD Audio Universal" 
  • Press Windows Key, Type: " Capture Settings " uncheck everything
  • Open AMD's Adrenaline Software > Record and Stream Tab > Uncheck in-game replay, instant gif, instant replay
  • Open Control Panel > Uninstall ALL programs which you have not used for a while. RGB software, Games, INCLUDING mouse/Keyboard programming/RGB software
  • Replace your Windows Background with a static background if you have an animated one
    • Unplug all drives excluding the one your system is installed on
      • Unplug ALL aRGB devices from your system -- If they are RGB fans/controllers, unplug them for this test
  • Restart PC, make sure no programs are open excluding the one you are testing, see if issue persists
    • *(do not run system for an extended period if you did unplug your case fans)

4: Disable Smart Access Memory in Bios, restart, see if issue persists

5: Download the latest Driver Software from AMD's/your motherboard's Website

• look up your Motherboard, get the chipset, network, audio drivers directly from them, including any drivers needed for your iGPU, if you have one (install that last)
  • Download the latest driver for your GPU
    • Download DDU
      •  Disconnect your computer from the internet
        • Go through the steps of DDU, remove all of your driver
    • When reinstalling your GPU drivers, Select the "Drivers Only" option on the drop down menu.
      This will be on the same page as a checkbox that says "Factory Reset" (you do not need to have that checked, as you just fully purged all your drivers)
    • With your internet still disconnected, reinstall all the rest of your drivers from the files you downloaded. When you have fully re-installed them all you can reconnect to the internet
    • Restart, check if issue persists

7: Check your Motherboard's Bios version, ensure that it is up to date and if necessary update it.

• I'd recommend doing this regardless, but I have it listed last just in case this isn't something you're comfortable doing. If you are impatient and do not upgrade properly, you can fully brick your motherboard so be warned. If you choose to do this, first ensure that you have a stable power connection, FULLY watch multiple videos on YouTube of people upgrading theirs on your specific motherboard, AND rewatch the video step by step when you do upgrade.
14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers

View solution in original post

In addition to what has already been mentioned, this video mentions a few new options to try out for AMD owners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14QSlEvvzoA

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Just a bit more follow-up. Was having the exact same issue with an @Justifier  fix also. like you though I was still getting the intermittent 15-20 min ones. someone suggested plugging GPU right into the motherboard. WHAM, hasnt had a stutter since. I can do anything and run any software, OC etc. like there was never a problem at all. 

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

22 Replies

Almost all my stuttering in Fortnite was removed simply by updating the bios and chipset of the motherboard, and we have the same socket version, so maybe it could help if you have not tried it.

Setting Radeon Anti-Lag to enabled in settings may also help. You can try.

It is sad the card does not work for you, it seems like a really great card but chances are if you get a new one, it will be the same but if not, good luck to you!

Do research before using this software. Download morepowertool from igor's labs there are tutorials on that and go into feature control  and Uncheck DS_GFXCLK, DS_SOCCLK, DS_LCLK, DS_DCEFCLK and DS_UCLK. Then save and Write sppt then restart Worked for me

0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

Some things to try, in order of ease of doing them:

1: Turn off all monitor sync options

• There are a ton of these littered about your computer:
    • Windows key > type: " Graphics Settings " , under "Default Settings there's some text called "Change Default Graphics Settings", Uncheck "Variable Refresh Rate"
    • Turn off the sync options in your monitor settings
    • Turn off the sync options in Radeon Software
    • Turn off the sync options in Game

If that doesn't work, next try

2: MSI Afterburner (if you don't already have it, download it)

• Open it up, click on the "Settings / Gear" icon
    • Under "AMD Compatibility Properties" checkmark "Disable ULPS" then apply

3: Close/exit all unnecessary software, disable all unnecessary settings, unplug all unnecessary hardware

*You do all of these at once, but if you are willing to take the time, doing them 1-1 might solve your problem without going through the entire list of 3.

• Press " CTRL + Shift + ESC " > Click the " Startup " tab > Disable literally everything here, except for Windows Security Notification and any Sound driver you have -- should be something like "Realtek HD Audio Universal" 
  • Press Windows Key, Type: " Capture Settings " uncheck everything
  • Open AMD's Adrenaline Software > Record and Stream Tab > Uncheck in-game replay, instant gif, instant replay
  • Open Control Panel > Uninstall ALL programs which you have not used for a while. RGB software, Games, INCLUDING mouse/Keyboard programming/RGB software
  • Replace your Windows Background with a static background if you have an animated one
    • Unplug all drives excluding the one your system is installed on
      • Unplug ALL aRGB devices from your system -- If they are RGB fans/controllers, unplug them for this test
  • Restart PC, make sure no programs are open excluding the one you are testing, see if issue persists
    • *(do not run system for an extended period if you did unplug your case fans)

4: Disable Smart Access Memory in Bios, restart, see if issue persists

5: Download the latest Driver Software from AMD's/your motherboard's Website

• look up your Motherboard, get the chipset, network, audio drivers directly from them, including any drivers needed for your iGPU, if you have one (install that last)
  • Download the latest driver for your GPU
    • Download DDU
      •  Disconnect your computer from the internet
        • Go through the steps of DDU, remove all of your driver
    • When reinstalling your GPU drivers, Select the "Drivers Only" option on the drop down menu.
      This will be on the same page as a checkbox that says "Factory Reset" (you do not need to have that checked, as you just fully purged all your drivers)
    • With your internet still disconnected, reinstall all the rest of your drivers from the files you downloaded. When you have fully re-installed them all you can reconnect to the internet
    • Restart, check if issue persists

7: Check your Motherboard's Bios version, ensure that it is up to date and if necessary update it.

• I'd recommend doing this regardless, but I have it listed last just in case this isn't something you're comfortable doing. If you are impatient and do not upgrade properly, you can fully brick your motherboard so be warned. If you choose to do this, first ensure that you have a stable power connection, FULLY watch multiple videos on YouTube of people upgrading theirs on your specific motherboard, AND rewatch the video step by step when you do upgrade.
14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers

Wow! Thanks Justifier, I'll definitely try out what you said, will give an update if the stuttering goes away.

0 Likes

in Radeon Control Panel, Tessellation Mode, set it to Application Controlled, as the Radeon Driver

0 Likes

In addition to what has already been mentioned, this video mentions a few new options to try out for AMD owners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14QSlEvvzoA

Justifier
Challenger

"I still get some stuttering but it is very infrequent and rare only happening once every 10-20 minutes or so."

Well then it's not fixed then.

• Storage: WD Black SN850 2TB NVMe.

Check the temps on that sucker, they are amazing, but they overheat and throttle. They're rated for up to 85c, but I see tons of people running them hit 90-95, even 100c.

I recommend active cooling for it* if you can get it to fit, if you cannot, then perhaps a passive cooling option^.
* = Acidalie M.2 Heatsync With Fan
^ = Acidalie M.2 2280 SSD Heatsync, Double (Passive)

Or, a thinner and cheaper option: Be Quiet BZ003
That last one isn't nearly as good as the other two, but more compatible.

Oh, and ofc, use better thermal pads. -- the Acidalie uses 2 strips of 1mm's

IIRC the passive cooling one here actually keeps them cooler than the active one does, as it has 4x heatpipes I like the active one though since it's not possibly restricted by your setup's airflow :shrug:

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Are you using a GPU riser cable, if so try it without? I have a hunking suspicion that's the issue.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

oh gosh, don't say that lmfao I'm getting ready to install one in my rig, though in my case it'll be a "sideways" gpu mount instead of a "vertical one"

0 Likes

@Justifier mine was the Lian Li one for the XL dynamic. Look around for Hi-quality ones, i'd imagine those are fine.

EZDIY-FAB PCIe 4.0

Justifier_0-1654878485219.png

It was on sale for 50% lmfao

Well, worse case I'll have something new to dig into to try to fix

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Just a bit more follow-up. Was having the exact same issue with an @Justifier  fix also. like you though I was still getting the intermittent 15-20 min ones. someone suggested plugging GPU right into the motherboard. WHAM, hasnt had a stutter since. I can do anything and run any software, OC etc. like there was never a problem at all. 

hi, i'm having this same problem and curious what you mean by plugging the GPU directly into the motherboard??  aside from installing the motherboard and hooking it up to the PSU is there something else you're "plugging in"?  Apologies i might be missing something basic here, but would like to know what you're referring to thanks

It means that there is no extension cables or adapters between the GPU and the mobo. Too long unshielded risers or defective risers can cause problems, for example stutter, input lag and such.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)

Got it thx!

Quick update!  I solved my problem by unplugging the second monitor I had running.. My primary was a DP and the second monitor plugged in was HDMI.. Unplugging the older HDMI monitor completely eliminated my stuttering problem

balenciagaqu
Adept I

How could this be a solution - "Try these 23 things, one of them might help" ?

0 Likes
Chato_v2
Adept II

I had the same issue when I got my 6950 XT, 2 months ago, Destiny 2 was just a stuttering mess. After a day of research, it came down to the fact that Freesync was the issue 100%. I feel that with AMD, and Nvidia's top tier cards like the 6950 XT, 7900 XTX, and the 4090, i feel that these cards need no help with the sync software. as they have great clock times and plenty of VRAMM. When i turned off all my Freesync on the software and both my moniters, my 6950XT card runs all my games smooth as hell. But I am glad you did resolve the issue you had. Happy Gaming

0 Likes
kabukijo
Adept II

Did / TRIED like pretty much all those INSANE "tweaks".  

Stutter still happends ingame Starfield / Forspoken ..

Realy one shouldn't have to go in SUCH DEPTHS to have their overpriced HIGH END GPU working flawless ingames !!

↑ THAT'S JUST INSANELY MIND BOGGLING 0_0 !! 

Especially and expensive GPU , should work flawless right out of the box !!

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
0 Likes
modcon9
Adept II

hey I use to have that same cpu and motherboard before I switched to a 5900x  with my 6950xt if you have resizable bar/smart access memory on turn it off in the bios Asus says smart access memory works on that board with the 9900k but it doesn't work well most of the time, I had the stutters and when I turned it off it worked with no stutters until I upgraded to the 5900x.

0 Likes

@modcon9

When i write that i have done and tried LITTERALLY EVERYTHING to solve that annoying camera stuttering, IAM NOT JOKING..  that means ALSO that i've tried to solve this by, → turning off Resizeable BAR = AMD SAM  !!!!  Wich DID NOT solved this issue !!

And REALY, iam talking about 1% Low fps of about down to 15 fps with an 7800 xt card 0_o ..  

Whereas an RX 480 8GB 10 YO gpu has low 1% fps of only down to 35 Fps in starfield !!!

So, conclusion something is horrible wrong with Game/driver/ or GPU !!

cheers

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
0 Likes

cool

0 Likes