cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

td48
Adept I

6950xt Reference card Hot spot temps

I received my 6950xt today in the mail, threw it into my pc and started using it. during play in call of duty, my gpu temp was normal, sitting around 68 degrees, but my junction temp was 113 degrees! 

Is this a situation where I would send in for warranty? or is there a fix? 

FYI, this was with fans at 100%!!!!

Please help

0 Likes
4 Replies

Your new GPU card is overheating and throttling. If the Hot spot reaches 118c it will shut down.

The maximum operating temperature of your GPU card's Hot Spot is 110c.

Which program are you using to monitor the GPU's Hot Spot? Radeon Settings or some other program?

Normally, in my opinion, the Hot spot shouldn't go above 90c - 95c while under heavy loads.

The card was engineered to run safely up to 110c.

What is the Make & Model of your GPU card?  Need your PC Information including Motherboard, CPU, and Windows version installed.

Do you have good Air flow in your PC case?  Remove your PC side panel and see if the GPU card Hot Spot is slightly cooler when playing games.

In normal use without playing games how hot does the Hot Spot averages out to? 60-75C?

Several Users in the past needed to replace the Thermal paste on a fairly new GPU card but I advise not to do that until after you contacted your GPU card's manufacturer Support. Doing so might void your GPU card warranty.

Some have down clocked the GPU card so it wouldn't run so hot. But generally a brand new GPU card shouldn't be overheating unless you have poor air circulation or the GPU fans are not working correctly.

I am using the Amd software to monitor as well as Gpu-Z simultaneously.

I have the AMD reference 6950xt just delivered yesterday. I have an MSI gaming plus B550, a 5800x3d and windows 10 64bit  

I have a Corsair 4000d airflow, I even turned my case fans to 100% and ran some tests and it kept hitting that temp  

In normal use, the hotspot is around the average you're talking about, yes  

Does AMD RMA the cards for this? because i know for a fact this is not right, but there are so many variables (that i understand and have changed ie. turning the case fans up, trying multiple heavy load programs, tweaking the fans curve to 100% to no avail) so I am hoping that AMD can send me another  

Yeah i feel like i should have to underclock the card to use it properly  

3D3DA078-65FA-4DEF-A7ED-2EB6534BCC9C.jpeg

I tried to snap a pic of the 113 but couldnt. but the varience between the gpu temp and hotspot tenp is way to large imo.  

0 Likes

I presume you purchased the GPU card at AMD Store correct?

If so, open a AMD SUPPORT - Warranty ticket and ask them if the GPU card needs to be RMAed to be check or not from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Screenshot 2022-12-06 114516.png

Concerning AMD Warranty on its GPU cards: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rma-terms

Screenshot 2022-12-06 114516.png