cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

andoobundoo
Adept I

What else can I do about the 5700 XT reboots?

Two months ago I made my first build ever. I was so scared about the whole process, not to screw anything up, get the right parts, etc. I decided to make the following build:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700 X
  • Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk Max B450
  • GPU: GIGABYTE GAMING OC 5700 XT
  • PSU: Corsair RM 2019 650W 80+ Gold
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2* 8GB DDR4-3200
  • SSD: Intel 660p 1TB
  • Drive: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB 7200 RPM

I build it, IT BOOTS, everything is fine, my heart skipped a few beats. And then I start using it paired with a dual screen configuration, ASUS VG259 (144Hz DisplayPort) and ASUS VN247 (60Hz, HDMI).

Since the first week I have been experiencing reboots during games (about one every 3 days), mainly three types of reboots:

1. 60Hz screen turns green, 144 Hz screen turns black, sound crashes, starts doing a loud trrrrrrrrrrrrr, and then the PC reboots;

2. 144 Hz screen completely black, nothing is responsive, 60 Hz screen still showing desktop background, after 5 seconds reboot.

3. BSOD reboot (only twice, hasn't happened recently), VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE.

The first type seems to be the most common, while the second mainly happens (i think) then HDCP is turn on for any of the screens. I was using the 20.2.2 drivers. First thing I do is disable HDCP for both screens, as some say it causes crashes. Reboots continued to happen. Then I saw that some new optional drivers were released (20.4.2) that could solve some reboots. I install those, and I still got reboots during games.

I then read that some people solved the issue by installing the 19.12.1 drivers, so I do that. This seemed to go well until, after a week, I get a reboot while playing RDR2. I used DDU to uninstall the drivers and then return to 20.2.2. I'll see how it goes.

This is my first ever build, and I'm starting to regret not sticking to laptops (which I don't want to! I loved building this thing). I am turning to the members of this forum with a question: What else can I do? The performance of the 5700 XT is brilliant, and I really want to keep it! But at this rate, returning it and claiming warranty for some store credit (and getting a different GPU) starts to look more and more appealing.

I have also been monitoring the system using OpenHardwareMonitor. The junction temperature of the GPU does not go over 93 deg, with the core staying at about 70. Power draw stays mostly below 200W, with some peaks over that (210?). Games I have experienced crashes with are: COD Warzone, RDR2, Minecraft, COD MW2, Payday 2.

I really don't know what to do anymore, and I seek advice from people that experienced this and found a way to solve it. As I said, I really don't want to send it back as I am perfectly happy with everything else, and am loving the GPU when it doesn't reboot my whole system.

Thank you.

8 Replies

dual/multiple panels is not widely advisable unless they are identical

0 Likes

Do you think this is the issue? I'm willing to try anything at this point. I've seen others use their 5700 XT with a 60 and 144 Hz screen at the same time. I will try unplugging the HDMI (60 Hz) one and see if it crashes.

I am currently on 19.12.1 and the reboots seem to be less frequent. I installed 20.2.2 earlier today and got a crash after about 15 minutes of RDR2. I'll reinstall 20.2.2 without the 60Hz monitor plugged in and see if it crashes.

0 Likes

20.4.2 is the latest offering

i installed a new BIOS and reset windows recently so i noticed 20.2.2 is on windows update for my rx 480

0 Likes

No it is not the issue,I run a 144hz and a 60hz setup just fine,never had any issues.5700XT OC on 20.4.2 drivers .

Upgraded from a RX580 to the 5700XT end of October 2019,have used every driver since with 0 issues.

0 Likes

The OP has a Gigabyte card, I have run into some bad lots of cards out there.

I'll try claiming warranty then. Thanks.

Did you get the card from warranty yet?  I just did the same but on my asrock 5700xt challenger D. Because I was having same issues aside me only having 1 monitor. I tried all the "dependable" drivers and it still happened. I even was told it was getting too hot. Ramped up the fan curve. Crash. Please let me know what your outcome is!

0 Likes

Sorry for the lack of update, warranty confirmed the GPU itself was faulty and decided to give me a full refund. I went for a 2070s and have had no problems since.

0 Likes