cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

BandusVok
Journeyman III

Warranty void stickers and right to repair

Hello! I live in Hungary and i’ve heard some interesting things about these warranty void if removed stickers, and im wondering… can AMd really enforce these and decline a warranty because it was removed? As i know In Hungary, as in the broader European Union, the enforcement of "warranty void if removed" stickers by companies like AMD would be limited by consumer protection laws. EU regulations generally prioritize consumer rights over restrictive warranty conditions imposed by manufacturers. Here are some key points relevant to this situation:

—- EU Consumer Protection Laws

1. Directive 1999/44/EC: This directive, which governs consumer guarantees in the EU, mandates that goods sold must be in conformity with the contract of sale. If they are not, consumers have the right to have the goods repaired, replaced, or refunded.
2. Directive 2011/83/EU: This directive on consumer rights further reinforces the protection of consumers, ensuring that warranty terms cannot unfairly restrict the consumer's statutory rights.

—- Implications for Warranty Void Stickers

1. Unfair Terms: Warranty void stickers can be considered unfair terms if they try to limit a consumer's statutory rights under EU law. For instance, a company cannot deny warranty service simply because a consumer has opened the device, unless the action directly caused the defect.
2. Right to Repair: The EU's focus on the right to repair emphasizes that consumers should be able to open and repair their own devices without automatically voiding the warranty. This is part of a broader initiative to reduce electronic waste and promote sustainability.

In summary, while AMD or any other manufacturer might include warranty void stickers, enforcing these stickers in Hungary would be constrained by EU consumer protection laws, which generally favor the consumer's right to repair and fair warranty practices.

0 Likes
1 Reply

If you purchased any AMD hardware from a EU Retailer than you automatically have a 2 year Retailer Warranty as per the EU Consumer's laws that you posted.

The EU Retailer is the one that will decide if your hardware will be repaired, replaced, or money refunded. So if you break that "Waranty Voided" sticker than it would be up to the Retailer to decide if your Warranty is good or not under EU Consumer laws.

I believe that AMD Warranty is not in effect at this time since you have the EU Retailer Warranty that get priority as you stated.

From my understanding of AMD Warranty, unless it has been updated recently, AMD Warranty doesn't go into effect until after the Retailer's Warranty expires first.

As an example, If you purchase a AMD Processor with a 3 year AMD Warranty but your Retailer gives you a 1 year Warranty than AMD Warranty wouldn't start until after the 1 year Retailer's Warranty expires.

But since you are in Europe and under the EU Consumer's Laws then you would need to speak with the Retailer you purchased the hardware from to get information concerning EU and AMD Warranties.