cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

I can't get my dedicated GPU to work as the primary GPU

Greetings,

I have a problem with my PC. I can't launch some Steam games. I was trying to start Final Fantasy VII Remake (and other games), but every time it keeps giving me a black screen and after a while it gives me an error saying "LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line:1209] GameThread timed out waiting for RenderThread after 120.00secs", I tried to do anything to fix it. I formatted the PC, installed the mobo and gpu drivers, did a memtest86 and other tests to see the temperatures of the ram, mobo, cpu and gpu. Everything seemed to be ok but the game didn't start. So in the end I thought of disabling my iGPU from the device manager and Asus bios by going to Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphic Configuration -> Primary Display set to PCIE and iGPU Multi-Monitor set to Disabled. So I tried opening the game and it actually started. But now there's another problem, which is that everything is jerky, as if the entire system was running at 5 fps, and the game too obviously, I also opened other games like LoL and they were running at around 8fps, plus the entire screen it has become qualitatively worse and worse. Also by checking Settings -> System -> Display -> Advanced display settings, I noticed that my screen is connected to Microsoft's basic drivers. How can I make everything work correctly with my dedicated GPU? I know it's right not to disable the iGPU because theoretically it should be active for light and non-gaming sessions so as not to waste too much energy but at the same time by deactivating it I managed to open the game, the problem is that I think it's using the graphics now from Microsoft, and not my dedicated one. Any help?

components:

rx 6600 xt gpu

prime b6600m-a wifi d4 mobo

i-5 12400 Intel Core cpu

0 Likes
1 Solution
432hz
Adept III

I had the same "5fps" issue when I launched / played a game (COD Warzone) with a different app manually set to use my iGPU running in the background. For me, the issue was repeatable by:

1. In Windows, set an app (e.g. Chrome) to use the iGPU (Settings > Graphics Settings > Google Chrome > Options > Power Saving)
  2. Open the app set to use the iGPU (Chrome).
  3. Launch a game (e.g. Warzone). Entire game runs at "5fps" with 0.2s hard stutters.
  4. Quitting the app set to use the iGPU returns game back to normal.

It sounds like you're experiencing something similar.

1. Make sure your monitor is connected to your GPU's video port and not your mobo's video port.
  2. Did you disable Windows Update from automatically updating your drivers before clean installing your AMD drivers? There's a few guides on how to do this.
  3. Did you check to see what power plan you're using? Maybe "power saver" would cause the "5fps" issue if the computer is trying to use the iGPU.
  4. My mobo's downloads came with an app called Intel Graphics Command Center. If 1-3 don't work, it might be worth looking if you have the same thing (and/or Arc Control Software) and see if it's trying to run during certain games and conflicting with your AMD drivers.

igpu-setting.PNGmonitor-to-gpu.PNG

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar

View solution in original post

8 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

Some laptops offer switchable graphics between an IGP and Discrete, however they are more often from the same graphics family and usually require drivers from the manufacturer.

A desktop PC is not going to automatically switch between an Intel IGP and your AMD card. Disable your IGP in the BIOS and install the latest Adrenalin package for your 6600XT. The card will switch to low power 2D mode when not gaming.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

ye that's what i did the first time, and it didn't work, i formatted the pc, used DDU to remove the AMD driver and installer the new one from the website, but the game didn't want to open. Black screen for 120 seconds with the message i wrote before. Then i decided just to try, to disable the iGPU and it all went jerkily. It let me open the game tho, but still it was all jerky

0 Likes

Did you reinstall the 6600 driver after disabling the intel graphics.

Check driver info in device manager, may be MS update replaced driver (post an image)?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

yes i did. Also i didn't really understand what should i take an image of? you mean the list of the file driver of my 6600xt?

0 Likes

Image of this from device manager,

deviceman.png

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
432hz
Adept III

I had the same "5fps" issue when I launched / played a game (COD Warzone) with a different app manually set to use my iGPU running in the background. For me, the issue was repeatable by:

1. In Windows, set an app (e.g. Chrome) to use the iGPU (Settings > Graphics Settings > Google Chrome > Options > Power Saving)
  2. Open the app set to use the iGPU (Chrome).
  3. Launch a game (e.g. Warzone). Entire game runs at "5fps" with 0.2s hard stutters.
  4. Quitting the app set to use the iGPU returns game back to normal.

It sounds like you're experiencing something similar.

1. Make sure your monitor is connected to your GPU's video port and not your mobo's video port.
  2. Did you disable Windows Update from automatically updating your drivers before clean installing your AMD drivers? There's a few guides on how to do this.
  3. Did you check to see what power plan you're using? Maybe "power saver" would cause the "5fps" issue if the computer is trying to use the iGPU.
  4. My mobo's downloads came with an app called Intel Graphics Command Center. If 1-3 don't work, it might be worth looking if you have the same thing (and/or Arc Control Software) and see if it's trying to run during certain games and conflicting with your AMD drivers.

igpu-setting.PNGmonitor-to-gpu.PNG

thank you so much, now it's working, you're the best

Great! What was the cause of the problem?

0 Likes