cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

slavicpsycho
Adept II

How do I increase Blender 3.6 performance

I've been experimenting with Blender, but it appears even with a 7900 XTX $1000 GPU, it is hard to compete with low tier Nvidia 30 series cards.

In the blender splash 3.3 I saw someone render cycles in 4k with a RTX 3080 in 2 minutes and 30 seconds. My 7900 XTX struggles to even stay under 3 minutes for the same demo file with the same exact render settings, HIP RT enabled as well.

Is there something I may be missing? Updated to 3.4 and tried the experimental 4.0 and 4.1 for blender but if anything those just made it worse. The RX 7000 series reigns supreme in other content creation software so there has to be some kind of optimization issue with AMD.

4 Replies

If you don't get many answer try posting your question at AMD Forum's Radeon ProRender under "Blender" and see if anyone there can help you: https://community.amd.com/t5/radeon-prorender/ct-p/amd-radeon-prorender

0 Likes

Yeah, maybe a good idea. Thanks

0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

I understand your frustration. It's disappointing to see that your RX 7900 XTX isn't performing as well as you'd hoped in Blender.

There are a few things you can try to improve performance:

1. Make sure you're using the latest Blender version.
  2. Blender 3.6 is still under development, and performance may improve in future releases.
  3. Enable HIP-RT in Blender's settings.
  4. HIP-RT is AMD's ray tracing API, and it can improve performance for certain types of scenes
  5. Reduce the number of samples used in your render.
  6. Samples are used to calculate the final image, and increasing the number of samples will result in a higher quality image, but it will also take longer to render.
  7. Use a different rendering engine.
  8. There are a number of third-party rendering engines that are available for Blender, and some of them may perform better on AMD hardware than Cycles.

Here are a few more unique tips:

1. Try using the AMD ProRender plugin for Blender.
  2. AMD ProRender is a dedicated rendering engine that is optimized for AMD hardware.
  3. Make sure that your GPU drivers are up to date.
  4. The latest GPU drivers often include performance optimizations for Blender.
  5. Try using a different CPU.
  6. The CPU can also have a significant impact on Blender performance.
  7. If you have an older or less powerful CPU, you may see a noticeable improvement in performance by upgrading.

I hope this helps!

Additional tip:

If you're still having trouble getting good performance, you can try using the Blender Benchmark tool. This tool will test your Blender performance on a variety of different scenes, and it can help you identify any bottlenecks in your system.

I wish you the best of luck!

Dipakjadhav
0 Likes

I tried everything including the prorender plugin, the prorender plugin turns out to be even slower than cycles. Thanks anyway

0 Likes