cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ExpendableBox
Journeyman III

Acer Nitro 16 (AN16-41) screen flickering/FPS drops (RTX 4060 and AMD ryzen 7 7840hs w/ radeon 780m)

Hello everyone,

Recently I decided to finally buy new laptop (bought it 11.07.24 - so only 11 day ago)

Acer Nitro 16 R7-7840HS/32GB/1TB RTX4060 165Hz QHD

I installed legally bought Windows 11 Home and for the first few days everything was fine. I updated Windows, downloaded Acer Nitro Sense (also updated it lately), I also downloaded Nvidia GeForce Experience and all new game ready drivers from Nvidia. My browser is Opera GX. I tried games like Hell Let Loose, Counter Strike 2, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, Sleeping Dogs, Insurgency Sandstorm etc. and everything worked very smoothly on ultra graphics, but I decided to play on medium ones anyway. Lately first problems started - FPS in games dropped from 159-170-300 FPS to around 5-15 FPS. My friend told me to change selection of graphics card mode from automatic to NVIDIA, I did it both in NVIDIA options and in Acer Nitro Sense. For now FPS drops stopped, but another problem started - screen flickering in web browser. I'm using Opera GX, but I saw many people had similar problems with Chrome or Edge browsers on this laptop as well. Below I will attach two videos of how that flickering looked like. Both things happended yesterday, so I am worried, because its new device. First I thought that maybe my graphic card is somehow broken, but that flickering problem only happens while using web browser. Never happend to me during the game yet, thankfully. So I think that maybe it's not the case - because probably it would affect everything and not only web browser. I thought it somehow solved itself after rebooting yesterday, but today while watching YouTube flickering came back, but in different way - The screen flashed less frequently, every few minutes, tens of seconds, in white. Then when I wanted to type something in the browser, the screen went blank and was all black for about 20-30 seconds. The keyboard worked during this time, after which everything returned to normal. However, I do not know when such a problem will occur again, and it seems that the problems with the laptop are increasing every day. I don't see problems with overheating for now, I used different modes in Nitro Sense and I want to buy cooling pad anyway. But I want to use laptop without weird problems like these. I feel like I shouldn't be scare to just use it and now I don't know what is happening to it. Please tell me if there is a way to fix that issue or do I have to send my laptop back to the store under warranty? Now I found that topic which has similar problem to mine, but I don't know if it's exactly same issue:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-ryzen-7-7840hs-w-radeon-780m-graphics-black-screen...

Does it mean that flickering problem can't be solved? Should I download some kind of drivers, update, patch? Is there any? It's weird that so many people have same problems and it seems like there is no solution from AMD. I would appreciate any help. 

image.png3384bdd8-58a9-4772-876c-8c06de108ed8.jpg

0 Likes
0 Replies