cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Developer Tools

b_stolk
Journeyman III

ROCM SMI reports low power usage.

I am developing under Ubuntu, using a Radeon RX 5500 XT and the gpupro driver (20.30-1109583 version.)

I was puzzled by the lower than expected performance, so decided to investigate.

I must say, a lot of the AMD tools have been deprecated, no longer supported, or lack OpenGL support.

Anyways... I did find ROCM SMI.

Thanks for sharing that!

When I disable vsync, in order to load the GPU as much as possible, with my game, I get this report back from ROCM SMI:

========================ROCm System Management Interface========================
================================================================================
GPU  Temp   AvgPwr  SCLK     MCLK    Fan    Perf          PwrCap  VRAM%  GPU%  
0    68.0c  38.0W   1185Mhz  875Mhz  20.0%  profile_peak  120.0W   26%   99%   
================================================================================
==============================End of ROCm SMI Log ==============================

Now, onto my question: What puzzles me is that the GPU is reportedly at a load of 99%. Good.

But how come it is drawing 38Watts of the max 120Watt load?

Do I have an inefficiency in my OpenGL code that makes the GPU load 99% but yet, somehow, doesn't make the GPU work at full capacity? (I render 2560x1600 MSAA, no vsync, so I would expected a lot of power draw?)

OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Radeon RX 5500 XT
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.14752 Core Profile Context 20.30

0 Likes
2 Replies
b_stolk
Journeyman III

Strangely, the card ran performance profile 'profile_peak' and I used ROCM SMI to change that to `auto' mode.

This somehow enables both lower and higher power usage:

It goes to 15W for an idle desktop, and 78W under load.

Still no 120W, but more understandable values.

0 Likes

Thank you for your query. I've whitelisted you for AMD DevGurus community.

ROC-smi related support is provided at the GitHub site itself, so I would suggest you to post the query here: Issues · RadeonOpenCompute/ROC-smi · GitHub.

Thanks.

0 Likes