cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Developer Tools

justinau
Journeyman III

ADL SDK ISSUE

I have got some issue with the source example for overdrive8 , the voltage and freq dont update , the function returns ADL_OK but the returned in function ADL2_Overdrive8_Setting_Set shows no change in values ( values passed in ADLOD8SetSetting show clocks modified , but the return structure ADLOD8CurrentSetting shows the values if as they had not been changed.) GPU is Radeon 5700XT 8GB , OS Windows 11 x64. language - Ported C++ -> C# and Pure C++ ( Examples from ADL SDK) . Both have same issue. Cant Set Freq or voltage only clocks and temps. Sample code in VS from ADL SDK as well as overdriveNTool in Rad CBuilder same result ( have noticed in overdriveNTool when the max clock is changed and the P3 Freq is changed is the only time the freq changes and if you attempt to change P2 Voltage on a 32 bit app it resets to the default - 1197MV - not sure if this is a bug in overdriveNtool v0.29 or not). Wondering since overdrive8 is depricated is there a better functions or API to to change freq and voltages and fan speeds and temps like the user can do in AMD Radeon Software ( main use for this is change fan speed and % and to reset freq and voltages based apon time of day and temps the card is running at - used for mining as part of a front end for LOLMiner.)

0 Likes
12 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @justinau ,

Thank you for posting it. I'll report the issue to the ADL team. 

Also, I've whitelisted you for the AMD Developer community.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Can you also ask the ADL team what if there is a replacement API to use since overdrive8 is marked as depricated ( and if so what functions to use to change clock freq voltages and fan speeds  temps etc) like in radeon software.

0 Likes

I have forwarded the query to them. Once I get any feedback on this, I'll share with you.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Tell the ADL team the root cause is the driver. rolling back to 20.4.2 Apr 23 Windows 10 x64 drivers fixes the issue. it needs to be patched in the latest drivers.

0 Likes

Thanks for the information. I've passed it on to the ADL team.

0 Likes

Can you ask if there is any update on this ? 

0 Likes

I will check with the ADL team and let you know if I get any update on this issue.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi @justinau ,

Thank you for your patience. 

The ADL team wants to know the driver version where you observed the issue. If it's not the latest driver available here. please try the latest one.

Also, can you please confirm if you are able to set those parameters through the Radeon Settings GUI?
Because, the Radeon Settings uses the same ADL interface.

>>Wondering since overdrive8 is deprecated is there a better functions or API 

Overdrive8 interface is not deprecated.  This is an ADL comment issue. It has been fixed in the latest version.

Thanks.

0 Likes

The Bug exists in ANY drivers later than 20.4.2  ie it stops working when drivers are higher than 20.4.2

0 Likes

Thanks for the information. 

Also, can you please confirm if you are able to set those parameters through the Radeon Settings GUI?
Because, the Radeon Settings uses the same ADL interface.

For better understanding of the issue, can you please share your findings on this?

Thanks.

0 Likes

The Issue in drivers past 20.4.2 is that when you try to set BOTH GPU Clocks and Voltages AND temps and percents in ONE call it fails on the 3rd voltage. I have seen the same behavour in Overdrive N Tool. I discovered by accident that if you split it and did the GPU Clocks and Voltages in one call then do the temps and percents in another call it work fine. I have split the calls in my C++ /  C# App and its now working. But seems a bug as it worked drivers until 20.4.2

0 Likes

Hi @justinau,

Thanks for sharing the above findings. I have passed the information on to the ADL team. I will let you know if I get any feedback/update on this.

Thanks.

0 Likes