cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

tanquen
Adept II

Windows 11 Data Loss, Random File Corruption

I have an AMD setup that had been fine for the last 2 years or so but a few months back I upgraded to Win11 on a work boot drive and a boot drive for gaming. Both are NVMe SSDs.

About a month ago I had a few large CD ISO files go bad and had to download them again. Then a few weeks ago a number of VM files went missing and others were corrupted or 0 bytes. Out of 6 VMs only one showed up in VMware Workstation and had all the files but still would not boot. Luckily I'd just backed them up to the NAS.

I don't know if the RAM or CPU are having issues. I ran Prime95 for a few days with no errors. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool but not the extended test yet. It looks like I'd have to run it for a few days?

I'd not looked at motherboard firmware for some time and sure enough there was one for the Windows 11 and the AMD fTPM issue. After installing it the system seems a little more responsive. Maybe?

The second data loss and corruption was with the VMs files. On a Friday I backed them all up and then when I went to use it again on Monday files where missing and others corrupt.

About a month ago I upgraded from a 1.8TB SN850 to a 3.7TB SN850X. I've been using that Game boot drive for extra VM drive space with the 1.8TB and now the 3.7TB version.
It seems fine but the system seemed fine for the last 3 yeas.

On the one hand I feel like it could be the drives. There are a few folks that have had bad WD SN850 and SN850X drives. The SMART stats all look good but the older 2TB SN850 can no longer run the SMART test without failing but I'm no longer using it. The new 4TB SN850X can run both the long and short tests but it's the one with the file issues. Also, that same Monday the older Samsung work-only SSD that I had also upgraded to Win11 stopped booting into Windows. I can't repair it and it says there are no restore points. The Samsung software says there are no errors but they don't let you run a SMART test. I can mount the drive in another OS and read the files.

Random issues stink.

On this Saturday I got two new Samsung 990 Pro 1.8TB SSDs and installed Win11 from the MS created USB and all seemed ok until last night. I tried making an image to the NAS and the new Gaming-only SSD backed up fine but I'd only used it one day. The Work-only SSD showed an error and the Windows system image tool warns that you need to repair the drive before making the image. tanquen_0-1681601093015.gif

Thinking of just buying new RAM in the hopes it is the issue. The last time I had a RAM issue it only showed up when doing large 60GB+ ISO creation of movies to the NAS. When I'd go to watch one there would be corruption randomly in the and it would fail a diff check when copied. All other RAM tests showed no issue but when I put in a spare single 8GB stick all was well.

Windows Build/Version 22H2 (OS Build 22621.1555)
4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

PC specs? 

Be sure to update the firmware on you 990 Pro(s) and your other drives as well

ThreeDee PC specs

The firmware is up to date on the first two WD SN850 and SN850x and the newest Samsung 990 Pro drives. Also, did the latest motherboard firmware but the new SSDs with clean Windows 11 install are having the same issues. 

What about the old NVMe and X570 issues and WHEA errors? I'm sure that should have been fixed by now but my issues do seem to be related to NVMe and this board. I have 4 different drives in different M.2 sockets, one is even using a PCIe card in the last slot, so it's a little slower and using the (I think) chipset for it's PCIe connection.

• Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Xtreme - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X -
  • Video Card: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24G
  • System Drive: WD 3.7TB NS850X SSD - Data Drive: WD 1.8TB NS850 SSD
    • Now 2 1.8TB Samsung 990 Pros
  • Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX
  • ViewSonic XG321UG 32" & Dell 30" U3017 on Ergotron HD Dual-Monitor Arm
0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

I too have had some similar minor problems with the NVMe and SATA SSD's with properly backing up ISO files.  Firmware up to date etc. etc.   

Best solution; get a Seagate Barracuda or IronWolf HDD drive.  The SATA SSD's are not that much faster than the Barracuda 7200 rpm drives.  Judge for yourself;

Kingston Fury SSD.pngSeagate Barracuda 7200.png

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

It seems when X570 first came out there were some issues with NVMe drives and maybe there still are. I'd like to keep the NVMe drives if I can. At the same time they should really work or AMD needs to come up with another fix. 

tanquen_0-1681686315660.png

0 Likes