cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

joman3000
Journeyman III

Will the release of Big Navi on the AMD Store have Bot Protection and other countermeasures?

I have a good question for AMD staff on their product for October 28th. Unlike your competitor will you guys have measurements in place to make sure bots won't buy all of your stock instantly in your store?

0 Likes
4 Replies
leyvin
Miniboss

AMD is unlikely to restrict beyond the 1 Per Customer., but honestly it shouldn't matter.

You see the key reason that "Bots" were able to get away with the damage they did to NVIDIA is because for whatever reason it ended up as a "Paper Launch"

That is to say very limited stock., meaning that the Hardware effectively launched "On Paper" only.

Now if this was a legitimate "Lack of Stock" or if NVIDIA was deliberately trying to drive up prices through an Artificial Limitation (and given they're releasing more every month, strongly suggests the latter) ... well we can speculate but won't really know for a few months.

In any case., AMD conversely has been in "Production" for the past Quarter (June)... and I guarantee that their "Mainstream" Products have been in Production even longer (likely since March).

That's just how AMD typically handle things.

So supply and availability is frankly going to be fine... of course bots can / might buy out most of this if they want., but I really don't see it ending well for them.

I say this because Consumers have VERY different mentalities towards Radeon Vs. GeForce.

Radeon isn't generally a "Must Have" Product., rather it's more of a "If Available" Product.

I mean it's like comparing say Apple to Nokia... no one is going to go out of their way to get a Nokia, no matter how much better it is as a product; while Apple, they'd sell their 1st Born into Slavery to own the newest iteration.

I think supply is going to be fine and far less issues with Bot Farming., the ONLY thing we need to worry about is if a new Cryptocurrency appears. Bots are looking for the Resale to be their Income., thus Market Demand is important; where-as Crypto-Miners are getting their income from elsewhere; so Market Demand is inconsequential to them.

0 Likes
tspag12
Adept I

If AMD needs to make it difficult for a warranty to be transferred from the original owner to the buyer.

No ones  going to pay double the cost without a warranty. Make sure to activate the warranty requires original owner to open the box to get a code to be accompanied with the original receipt.
(now if they decide  to return what he can’t sell will need to pay restocking fees lol). To transfer warranty will require you to download and submit a warranty transfer form that will take at least 2 weeks to validate including a $25 fee. 90 days after the release you can go back to the way it was.

0 Likes

Shopping bots are here to stay as scalpers try to make a buck. Shopping bots started with entertainment tickets and moved into other products more recently. Scalpers are plentiful if you have ever been to a sporting event.

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

Alright, so., as noted... I'm not so bothered about the Availability, as well AMD hasn't had the same "Substrate" issue that NVIDIA has in regards to production volumes; and they even sacrificed some Ryzen Production capacity to produce extra.

Rather I'm curious about the (Pre) Order Availability from the AMD Website

Ideally I'd like to be able to order and be guaranteed that it will be shipped in time for Release (18th Nov), and I'd have thought Pre-Ordering would've been available when the Product Page was made available... but it isn't.

Strictly speaking I'd prefer to wait for the RX 6700 XT (hopefully at a much lower price point., but given the RX 6800 is £540; somehow I doubt the replacement to the RX 5700 XT is going to be £380., which was already a somewhat ridiculous price) but as it won't be available given it wasn't announced until at least January (probably later).

Well I don't really want to wait 3+ months for Hardware to be able to develop with DirectX 12 Ultimate.

Now as a note, I'd also argue for those who do have availability concerns... I came up with the idea of, well instead of the Store being available on the Website; why not add it to Radeon Settings (i.e. the Drivers).

That way you can guarantee because you can Hardware Lock (CPU and GPU both have Unique Hardware IDs) the ability to purchase only one... but it also means that the AMD Store is exclusive for pre-existing AMD Consumers, as well you need an AMD Graphics Card to install and use Radeon Settings.

Heck it could go further and store some data hidden that keeps track of when Cards / Processors were paired with someone... how long they've had them... how often they use them... etc. have that feed into a Loyalty Point System, that instead of silly things like Prescribed Bundles (which are always limited); allow them to be spent in the AMD Store on AMD Sponsored Games, Merchandising or even Hardware Discounts. 

NVIDIA has a way of keeping their Dominance Hooks in the Market, by essentially dictating Software Interfaces (PhysX, Gameworks, CUDA, etc.) ... well a reason ATI / AMD haven't had similar appeal is because there's no reason to stick with them for most users especially when things are going bad outside of Brand Loyalty or simply a lack of Funds.

Well., change that. 

Sure, things are going well NOW... but this doesn't guarantee market parity. 

A Loyalty System (of this nature) would be a hook to keep people on AMD., as retention rather than initial adoption is more important here; as once there IS a big enough Retention Base, well that's when you have more influence to dictate what Software Solutions or Adoption of new Technologies is used.

0 Likes