cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

mrdeano
Adept II

Whats the best Ryzen build

The Inland Revenue have been very kind to me this year and have given me around a £500 rebate so I have been looking at a new AM4 Ryzen build with a new mobo and 16GB ram. Can anyone tell me is the Ryzen 7 a good CPU and what is the best Ryzen 7 CPU? Also what is a good mobo and ram to go with the new build. I have looked about but there are so many different boards and ram kits out there i get confused :-) . Thanks

0 Likes
9 Replies

"Best" is a relative term. What are you intending to do with it, and which GPU do you have?

Currently Ryzen 7 1800X is the top of the line. Prices are lower right now too in anticipation of the Ryzen 2 being release in a month or two.

Advice on what is good, as BZ already said it is "relative". Everyone's opinions differ. I can tell you how I go about it. I like to use websites that have product reviews. I use microcenter and newegg a lot for this. I can look at a motherboard and see which ones are rated better and why. Often time people will also list what ram worked well for them with a product. Once I think I found the motherboard I might like I google search it for hardware site reviews. I go to the board makers site and to that product page and download specs and their memory compatibility information. All reputable makers have this. I stick to memory that is known to work with that board, unless I see in other reviews some cheaper ram than many sources say works well. You really need to get compatible ram with Ryzen MB. I too would have to know more about what you are using it for to recommend any more.

I would be tempted to wait just a few weeks on this build if you are into your overclocking and go for a zen+ 1700X or 1800X

10% performance per watt apparently. Also might have better RAM support?

However if you generally leave your CPU at stock maybe pull the trigger now...

Crosshair VI extreme is a nice top end board and some F4-2400C15D-16GTZRX should be plug and play. Or some F4-3200C14D-16GVK if you know how to play with RAM settings in the BIOS

:-)

I would tend to agree with everything you said. Just a small correction when looking for the new parts vs the old on launch.  

Ryzen 2 is the 2xxx series,  so will be  2800X etc. Not still 1800X.

Ooops, sorry, of course you are right!

0 Likes

Thank you for your suggestions. I think i will wait a few weeks until the new Ryzen 2. I was prompted to upgrade from my current build as i was informed by Ubisoft that their future games will not be supporting the old Phenom ll x6 processor. I can tell you that my CPU is not supported for the new Assasins Creed Origins, and i am a fan of AC games and Ubisoft.  Here is a benchmark of my PC at mo and its rather old and is indeed due for an upgrade.

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T    32 °C

Thuban 45nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF (CPU 1)    34 °C

Graphics

SA300/SA350 (1920x1080@60Hz)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Undefined)    31 °C

Storage

1863GB Seagate ST2000LX 001-1RG174 SATA Disk Device (SATA)    28 °C

3726GB Seagate ST4000DX 001-1CE168 SATA Disk Device (SATA)    22 °C

1863GB SAMSUNG HD204UI USB Device (USB (SATA))    30 °C

931GB SAMSUNG HD103SI USB Device (USB (SATA))    29 °C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 EADS-11M2B2 USB Device (USB (SATA))    33 °C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 EARX-00PASB0 USB Device (USB (SATA))    30 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB

Audio

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

0 Likes

I am still rocking a 1090T myself and am doing exactly the same. Going to see how the new launch goes and buy a new build by May. Already gathering the pieces. Memory, MB and Processor are all I have left to buy.

I have been looking for a good mobo and came across this beast. i think this might be a great start to the build.. Any advice would be great if possible please :-)

MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM AM4 Motherboard - Ebuyer

0 Likes

Honestly it seems many board makers ran into ram compatibility issues with their boards. This may have been fixed in bios updates. From what I have seen though is that the x370 boards did a bit better. I am sure it is a decent board. But only buy that board if you are going to buy a current generation CPU. It will likely need a bios update before you could drop in a new Ryzen 2nd gen cpu. If you are going to want to get the new gen cpu then next gen MB will be coming out at the same time. Just by all new tech 2 months. Personally I think the new stuff should have many kinks worked out and have better stability. Also do you need a top tier MB they are a lot more expensive than the mid level B350 (upcoming B450) chipset boards. Unless you need specific features with a x370 board I'd save some bucks. I'm betting on the B450 boards have some great performance and stability at a decent price. If they don't I will be looking elsewhere. Only you can decide what is best for you though. One things for sure, I bet I won't get the legs out of what I buy next I got out of my am3 boards!

0 Likes