cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

starfighterj
Journeyman III

What Happened to AMD Radeon Memory?

I was Planning on building a new Computer but I no longer see AMD Radeon Memory what happen to it? 

0 Likes
8 Replies

Honestly not sure what you are asking. Is it a question about the type or amount of memory used on the GPU's? Or is it about some feature in the software that used to be available and now is not? Or is you software not showing how much memory is allocated? 

0 Likes

AMD use to Sell Radeon Memory (RAM) I no longer see it anymore on AMD's Site What Happened to it?

0 Likes

Not familiar with that. You can ask AMD Support. Hopefully they can help: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

I will also mention one of the Moderators. Maybe he will know what you are referring to: amdmatt

0 Likes

There used to be AMD branded RAM, same as SSDs. The problems were they were expensive and complete garbage, RAM was slow and had abysmal timings, and SSDs were slower than daylight and were more expensive than faster units, so they were all discontinued.

Also the SSDs were just low end OCZ rebrands, and OCZ is now long gone. To quote Anandtech on their review of the Radeon R7 240gb SSD:

It is quite obvious that AMD is going after novice users with the R7 SSD. For someone with very little or no understanding of computers, the AMD branding can provide a peace of mind since AMD is fairly large and visible brand in the industry, but anyone who understands what they are buying should look elsewhere. To put it simply, there are better SSDs available for less money.

As for the memory, to quote Anandtech again since they have a handy chart:

Which was absolutely ABYSMAL! To put that into perspective, it cost over double what I paid for my G.Skill Ripjaws X

The only reason you might have been suckered into using the overpriced modules was for the "free" RAMDisk.

Sounds like I didn't miss much not knowing about this product line. LOL

0 Likes

Thankfully it was short lived, and between the high prices and lack of performance, it didn't really proliferate very well. There were some posts about it in the old old forums, but were lost during the switchover.

there are some sites with phpBB that have been around for 15+ years now and they will work fine

content goes back years but for recipes that is not a problem

0 Likes

When I bought 4x8GB DDR4-3200, I paid $190 Canadian. I have an Intel 665p SSD which is now 96-layer. The 2 TB unit is more expensive.

Back when AMD branded hardware was offered, the price of SATA SSD 480 GB was much higher than it is now. AMD Ramdrive was a throwback to the DOS era. The MSI B350M Bazooka had an M.2 slot. That is when I had the Intel 660p SSD 512B.

I am hoping the X570 will be adequate for at least 3-5 years by that time DDR5 will most likely have surfaced.

Still waiting on what to do for a video card.

0 Likes